AutoIt file association problem

I am a developer and absolutely LOVE AutoIt - it is a FABULOUS WINDOWS SCRIPTING TOOL!!!!

I have AutoIt installed on a jump drive and that works great. I am running Windows XP and often use Windows Explorer to conveniently test .au3 files and then compile them when they are debugged.

I recently upgraded to a new pc. Both the old and the news pc's are running XP. On the old pc, right clicking on a particular .au3 file shows the options: Run and Compile. On the new pc, the top option is Open. On both pc's, i have .au3 files associated with "AutoIt V3 Script".

The problem I am having has something to do with Windows Explorer file associations. Some setting is different between my old and new pc.

If i double-click on the .au3 file name in Windows Explorer on the new pc, the .au3 script is executed and that is fine. The problem is that there is no selectable "Compile" option when i right click on a .au3 file. I could do up a bat file to compile .au3's to .exe's, but being able to compile from Windows Explorer is very convenient and i hate to give that up.

Thanks 4 any help!!!

"fr8train"

Welcome to the forum ! Posted Image

Try this

RegWrite ( 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script\Shell\Compile\Command', "", "REG_SZ", '"' & @ProgramFilesDir & '\AutoIt3\Aut2Exe\Aut2Exe.exe" /in "%l"' )
RegWrite ( 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script\Shell\Compile with AutoIt3Wrapper Gui\Command', "", "REG_SZ", '"' & @ProgramFilesDir & '\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI.exe" /in "%l"' )

I'm on xp sp3 and it works well ! Posted Image

Edited by wakillon

AutoIt 3.3.14.2 X86 - SciTE 3.6.0WIN 8.1 X64 - Other Example Scripts

Welcome to the Forum! Since you have an existing PC with the options that you want, the easiest solution would be to copy those settings from the old PC to the new PC. Assuming you have Admin rights to both machines:

On the old PC

Open regedit and browse to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.au3 key. Note the (Default) value...mine is "AutoIt3Script"

Export the ".au3" key to a reg file where you can grab it and copy it to a flash drive or other media (i.e. on the desktop)

Browse to the key listed as the default..in my example, I would go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script

Export that key (with a different name) to a reg file

Copy both reg files to your media

On the new PC

Insert your media with the 2 reg files and import them by double clicking on them sequentially

Please note that if your machines have different OS architectures (32bit & 64 bit) you may need to change some values..AutoIT on 64 bit installs in the "Program Files (x86)" directory and .AutoIT on 32 bit installs in the "Program Files" directory..change to match your new PCs Architecture

Thanks, Gorgeous Guru in NC, that did it!

(thanks also to wakillon)

Appreciate your time for the solution...

Take Care...

Fr8Train

Welcome to the Forum! Since you have an existing PC with the options that you want, the easiest solution would be to copy those settings from the old PC to the new PC. Assuming you have Admin rights to both machines:

On the old PC

Open regedit and browse to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.au3 key. Note the (Default) value...mine is "AutoIt3Script"

Export the ".au3" key to a reg file where you can grab it and copy it to a flash drive or other media (i.e. on the desktop)

Browse to the key listed as the default..in my example, I would go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script

Export that key (with a different name) to a reg file

Copy both reg files to your media

On the new PC

Insert your media with the 2 reg files and import them by double clicking on them sequentially

Please note that if your machines have different OS architectures (32bit & 64 bit) you may need to change some values..AutoIT on 64 bit installs in the "Program Files (x86)" directory and .AutoIT on 32 bit installs in the "Program Files" directory..change to match your new PCs Architecture