Isolating the problem

I made a script that has worked on another machine flawlessly(worked fine on XP)

When I tried it on another machine(win7) I thought it didnt work on the intended software/application.

I tried to disable User Access Control, thinking it put a barrier between the script and sw/app ; I also tried window mode ; checked bug/reports in this forum, etc

One day, I forgot to turn off my script on the win7 machine, and while browsing the net, I noticed my keys were acting weirdly. Apparently, my script was functioning properly on my win7 machine, it was sending the proper keystrokes on my browser. I realized then, that win7 wasn't the problem

A day after that, I went back to my winXP machine, and tried the same script, on the same software/app ... the script works still.

I decided to make a new script from scratch for my win7 machine, that wasn't copied from the winXP, thinking that would solve it. It didnt

Now, Im boggled once again. I now have no idea what's causing the block.

winXP+ old script = OK

win7 + old script = OK on browsers, but not the intended software/app

win7 + new script = OK on browsers, but not the intended software/app

winXP+ new script = OK

From what I've done, Im guessing that there's no single culprit that's causing all this. win 7, autoIT and the sw/app are all contributory factors

FYI, the script contains basic commands(sleeps and sends)

Edited by KinesongPayaso

• Moderators

KinesongPayaso,

Welcome to the AutoIt forum. ;)

As my crystal ball is in for repair, could you please post the troublesome code - it is a bit difficult to help without it. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

There's not much to it. They're all just simple scripts..

Here's two of them(picked randomly)

::::::::::::::::::::FILENAME: sevenFiveOne.au3:::::::::::::::::::::::

HotKeySet("{END}", "Terminate")

While 1

Sleep(60)

Send("{Enter}")

Sleep(60)

Send("{Enter}")

Sleep(100)

Send("{Down}")

Sleep(100)

Send("{Enter}")

Sleep(60)

Send("{Enter}")

Sleep(60)

Send("{Enter}")

Sleep(60)

Send("{Enter}")

Sleep(60)

Send("{Enter}")

Sleep(100)

Send("{7}")

Sleep(600)

Send("{5}")

Sleep(100)

Send("{Enter}")

Sleep(600)

Send("{Enter}")

Sleep(600)

Send("{Enter}")

Sleep(100)

Send("{1}")

Sleep(100)

Send("{Enter}")

Sleep(60)

Send("{Enter}")

Sleep(60)

Send("{Enter}")

Sleep(60)

Send("{Enter}")

Sleep(60)

Send("{END}")

Sleep ( 50 )

Wend

;;;; Exit Function ;;;;

Func Terminate()

Exit 0

EndFunc

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;;run751::::::::::::::::::::::::: <<-- runs the above code/file sevenFiveOne.au3

HotKeySet("{Home}", "RunMe")

Global $pid = 0

;;;; Main Loop ;;;;

While 1

Sleep(500)

WEnd

Func RunME()

If ProcessExists($pid) = 0 Then

$pid = Run('AutoIt3.exe "sevenFiveOne.au3"')

EndIf

EndFunc

:::::::::::::::second file/code ... seperate from the above ... this has a starter too, but I didnt include it anymore::::::::

HotKeySet("{END}", "Terminate")

Global $pid = 0

HotKeySet("{w}", "filer")

HotKeySet("{x}", "zicFold")

func filer()

sleep(50)

send("{e}")

sleep(50)

send("{r}")

endfunc

func zicFold()

send("{s}")

sleep(50)

send("{c}")

sleep(50)

send("{z}")

endfunc

Func Terminate()

Exit 0

EndFunc

::::::::::::FYI, I dont run these files at the same time, which is why I left the global pID at 0.

I just open the "starter file" and it will activate the second file(by pressing the activation key, --HOME, in this case), which contains the main script/code. They terminate with the END button.

Edited by KinesongPayaso

The forum disabled the Edit function(guess theres a 10-15 minute limit)

Here's what I added to that previous post (sorry for the double post)

------------------------------------

I've already submitted this issue to the software/app's owner; but he's notorious for not responding to emails/messages --he's doing other projects I think -- which is why I came here for help instead

I've already lengthened and shortened the duration of the sleeps -- still no go

I've already changed the de/activation keys (used buttons other than Home, End, Mwheelup/down, etc)

---

One thing to note though; certain functions* work properly in the sw/app's window -- it's just the --SENDING/Issuing-- of commands that do not work

* Functions that --RETRIEVE-- info, and produce a pop up window that reports findings

for example, the progress bar for file transfer progress is green(completed work), and white for unworked/to be transferred

If I use a pixel retrieval script, it returns the white or green accurately

• Developers

The forum disabled the Edit function(guess theres a 10-15 minute limit)

There are limitations for new member below the 10 posts.

What are these scripts used for?

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Moderators

KinesongPayaso,

In future when you post code please use Code tags. Put [autoit ] before and [/autoit ] after your posted code (but omit the trailing space - it is only there so the tags display here). It makes it much easier to read. :)

The only unusual thing I can see about the code you posted is that you enclose normal keys in { } - you only need those when you Send "special" keys like {ENTER}. However, if it works on XP.....

What is this app that you are trying to Send to? ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

oh ok

I used

the quote code

but they didnt work

......edit::: now they work. wierd

Ill use [autoit] next time

It's a sort of a file DB manager that was done by a frat of students before. Not sure If im allowed to post pics of it, or mention the name

It takes a text file or memo, laces it with another message or a "stamp", saves it to a destination folder that you can't access, and reverts the original memo to it's old state(unchanged, in its original location). idk why they didnt just make a duplicate of the original file, and changed the duplicate.

The buttons that my script sends are the first few letters of folders/files names

The "filer" function waits for a pop up, then i press 'w', and of the many folders/files there, it will select folders/files that start with W,E,R,*

Same goes for the "zicFold" function. X,S,C,Z

The sevenFiveOne file, waits for multiple pop ups(during the sleep(60)s) and the send("{Enter}") just answers the confirmation pop ups"are you sure? y/n" I've got a lot of variations for the sevenFiveOne file, since they apply to various memos or stamps

Edited by KinesongPayaso

Use the Au3Info.exe (Ctrl+F6 in SciTE4AutoIt) on the program to check if you can identify any of the controls you use. If so, you can use ControlSend and other Control...() functions to automate the process in a much more reliable way.