Read/Write File

i've been playing with this on and off for a few days and i can't seem to get what i want/need.

In a nutshell i have to install two programs, one relies on the other, that's the easy part. Each user that accesses this program must profile themselves in this program and i want to make it easier. Current practice is to open the top level program, open the "connections" tab and put their individual user id in two separate places. It works pretty well, but i wanna make it easier. At the top of the install routine ask the user for their user id, store it, do the install (if required) then replace their user id in the control file, in two places, and be done.

The control file appears to be a binary file. i opened it in a text editor, made the changes and saved it then had to go back and recopy the control file since the text editor didn't like some of the characters.

Using a hex editor i found i need to replace characters 17-19 and 2225-2227. i can read the file but cannot figure out how to limit my replace to just 3 characters.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

NewNew.zip

i've been playing with this on and off for a few days and i can't seem to get what i want/need.

In a nutshell i have to install two programs, one relies on the other, that's the easy part. Each user that accesses this program must profile themselves in this program and i want to make it easier. Current practice is to open the top level program, open the "connections" tab and put their individual user id in two separate places. It works pretty well, but i wanna make it easier. At the top of the install routine ask the user for their user id, store it, do the install (if required) then replace their user id in the control file, in two places, and be done.

The control file appears to be a binary file. i opened it in a text editor, made the changes and saved it then had to go back and recopy the control file since the text editor didn't like some of the characters.

Using a hex editor i found i need to replace characters 17-19 and 2225-2227. i can read the file but cannot figure out how to limit my replace to just 3 characters.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Someone who did something similar:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=75030