Prob a dumb question

russell

I have several scrips broken and referenced back and forth upon different situations, is there a GOTO function that i could use instead? It would see that it would help out alot. Like

to goto another line in the script

muppet hands are so soft :)

From Help file -> AutoIt -> Frequently Asked Qestions (FAQ) -> #4:

4. Where is the "goto" command?

Gone. It's evil. No, you can't ask why - it just is. It's like that lump of rock they find in the microwave at the end of the film <a class="ext" href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081633/">Time Bandits ;)

AutoIt v3 features most of the common "loops" in use today and with these Goto is no longer required. Look up While, Do, For, ExitLoop, ContinueLoop and Functions for the modern way of doing things :) And while you are looking at help file sections check out these on loops, conditional statements and functions. I promise you, once you have got the hang of such things you will be able to script in virtually any other language within a couple of minutes.

Just to get you started, the most basic use of Goto in version 2.64 was an infinite loop like:

:mylabel

...do something...

...and something else...

goto, mylabel

A simple v3 version of that is a While loop that is always "true".

While 1 = 1

...do something...

...do something else...

Wend

BTW First result found after typing "goto" in the search box ...

Edited by whim

i did and i get results like global and such, nothing i cant find pertaining to goto

If you open the helpfile and searth for goto there's only 3 results!

• Developers

I indeed said Search, not look at its index as obviously there is no GOTO so it will not appear in the index. ;)

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I think people ought to remember we are not all programmers here.. some off us are just ordinary people trying to make our lives easier

sketching a Gannt chart??? ;) i had to check google to see what it was!!

ps not trying to cause offence

I think people ought to remember we are not all programmers here.. some off us are just ordinary people trying to make our lives easier

sketching a Gannt chart??? ;) i had to check google to see what it was!!

ps not trying to cause offence

The main idea here is to visualize your scrnipt. I am not a programmer per se, rather I create scripts to automate my needs. The gannt chart may be more formal than what you need, but it us good practice for more complicated scripts. Understanding logic is the key to success. Edited by Varian

• 2 weeks later...

Well you have cleared up for me that there is no GOTO. I miss it :graduated: but do understand what you all are speaking of. My mind has over the past two weeks worked its way into seeing the scrit like scymatics and the order in which thing happen. In a way im glad they removed it so my "pratice" isnt tainted

muppet hands are so soft :)