My first AutoIt Script

stroutd

I am trying to write a script that will allow me to run a file, which will then create a text file on disk. The script will then read the file, click a textbox in Firefox, and insert the stored file data into that box, then click a button. It does this every 45 seconds. Here is what I have so far:

while 1

$timer = timerinit()
do

Sleep(10)
until timerdiff($timer) >= 45000

Run("C:\automator\automate1.exe","C:\automator")
$dataFile=FileOpen("C:\automator\data.txt")
$data=FileRead($dataFile)
MouseClick("left",712,187,1,0)
Send($data)
MouseClick("left",782,189,1,0)

wend

The "wrapper" part that repeats the script every 45 seconds is copied from here. The script doesn't seem to be working right for some reason. I know for certain it is performing that final mouse click, as I have seen it move the mouse there and click. I cannot tell if the other actions are being performed though, or even if I am doing them right. I do not see them happening, but maybe they are happening so fast that I can't see them. I just want to know if I am using all these functions correctly.

Edited by stroutd

Hello stroutd,

First, Welcome to the AutoIt Forums ;)

Second, if you just need to run that script every 45 seconds than this will do:

while 1
    Send($data)
    Sleep(45000)
wend

However, if you wish to run other code, while waiting 45 seconds, than try this:

$timer = timerinit()
while 1
    If timerdiff($timer) >= 45000 Then
        _RunAutomator()
        $timer = timerinit()
    EndIf
    ;Do Something else
    Sleep(10)
wend

Func _RunAutomator()
    Send($data)
EndFunc ;==>_RunAutomator()

Realm

My Contributions: Unix Timestamp: Calculate Unix time, or seconds since Epoch, accounting for your local timezone and daylight savings time. RegEdit Jumper: A Small & Simple interface based on Yashied's Reg Jumper Function, for searching Hives in your registry. 

First, yes, this is the same person. I registered two accounts because my e-mail was down when the first activation e-mail was sent. Then, when I wanted to reply to this thread, I accidentally logged in to the first account, and noticed the "resend activation" link under my profile, so I was able to activate this account, with my preferred username.

Second, thanks for the simplified repeating code, I thought what I had might be slightly overcomplicated. However, I still need help to check the code I wrote. Any help would be appreciated. I know the executable is not being run, because the files it should be creating are not being created.

Hello dstrout,

The Run command for this only needs the first parameter:

Run("C:\automator\automate1.exe")

Change that line, and see if it works for you.

Realm

Edited by Realm

My Contributions: Unix Timestamp: Calculate Unix time, or seconds since Epoch, accounting for your local timezone and daylight savings time. RegEdit Jumper: A Small & Simple interface based on Yashied's Reg Jumper Function, for searching Hives in your registry. 

I know that, but I need the files the executable produces to be placed in that directory. Since automate1.exe is just a batch file compiled into a .exe, the working directory has to be set so it will place the files there, so the script can find the files later.

Oh, and BTW, I am away from the computer with AutoIt/my script on it, so I can't test anything just now.

Edited by dstrout

Hi, welcome to the forums!

I've made some modifications to your code that might help:

- Cleaned up the repeating method. (As the first guy stated).

- Replaced Run () with ShellExecute (). (ShellExecute () is basically the same thing, but might fix your problem.)

- Added a Do...Until loop to wait until 'data.txt' exists.

- Added a small delay between each MouseClick (), Send (). (This helps ensures everything runs smooth. If some of the actions happen to fast or too slow adjust the times.)

- Also, I cleaned up the code and added comments to possibly help you better understand.

Here's the code, hope it helps.

While 1; Start a infinite while loop.
    ShellExecute ('C:\automator\automate1.exe','','C:\automator'); Execute your EXE, ShellExecute () is slightly different from Run () and might fix your problem.
    Do; A little peace of code that will wait until 'data.txt' is created, assuming 'automate1.exe' creates it.
        Sleep (10)
    Until FileExists ('C:\automator\data.txt')
    $Data = FileRead ('C:\automator\data.txt'); Read your file, FileOpen () isn't needed in this case.
    Sleep (1000); Wait one second. (This might need to be adjusted.)
    MouseClick ('Left', 712, 187, 1, 0); Make a left click at 712, 187.
    Sleep (500); Wait half a second. (This might need to be adjusted.)
    Send ($Data); Send the $Data.
    MouseClick ('Left', 782, 189, 1, 0); Make a left click at 782, 189.
    Sleep (45000); Wait 45 seconds until repeating process again.
WEnd

- John

Edited by z0mgItsJohn

Latest Projects :- New & Improved TCP Chat

Thanks a lot there John. You'll make me lazy, doing all the work for me ;) Anyway, I'll try this ASAP, once I get back to my PC. Hopefully your script will do the trick.

Edit: Looking at the documentation, I think ShellExecute should be replaced with ShellExecuteWait, to make sure the executable has finished before proceeding. Thanks for pointing out ShellExecute though, I can try running that on every command in the batch file if running ShellExecute on the batch file itself doesn't work for some reason.

Edited by dstrout

OK, version 1 is up and working, with a few modifications to the batch file and autoit script. Here is my final script:

While 1; Start a infinite while loop.
    ShellExecuteWait ('C:\automator\automator.exe','','C:\automator'); Execute your EXE, ShellExecute () is slightly different from Run () and might fix your problem.
    Do; A little piece of code that will wait until 'data.txt' is created, assuming 'automate1.exe' creates it.
        Sleep (10)
    Until FileExists ('C:\automator\data.txt')
    $Data = FileRead ('C:\automator\data.txt'); Read your file, FileOpen () isn't needed in this case.
    $Data = StringLower ($Data); Make sure the string is lowercase.
    MsgBox (0, "Data", $Data, 1)
    Sleep (1000); Wait one second. (This might need to be adjusted.)
    MouseClick ('Left', 712, 187, 1, 0); Make a left click at 712, 187.
    Send ($Data); Send the $Data.
    MouseClick ('Left', 782, 189, 1, 0); Make a left click at 782, 189.
    Sleep (40000); Wait 45 seconds until repeating process again.
WEnd

I put in the MsgBox on line 8 to make sure the file was being read correctly, as it did not seem to be. Once I put that in, though, everything seemed to work. Strange...

Anyway, there is a possiblity that an error will occur on the webpage, which the script will need to deal with. Right now I am setting up a system that checks the MD5 sum of a small portion of a screenshot of the page. This thread can now be considered tentatively solved, unless I run into further problems. Thanks for the help guys!

Edited by dstrout