I can't get .au3 files to run when I double-click on them

I can't get .au3 files to run when I double-click on them.

I just installed v3.3.6.1 and I definately selected the option during installation that says "run the script" and NOT "edit the script". I installed twice just to make sure. When I click on it, it opens in Notepad.

When I right-click "Open With" on a .au3 file it gives me the "Open With" box, but AutoIt is not on the list of possible programs you can choose to open the file with. So next I clicked the Browse button and selected AutoIt3.exe (in C:\Program File\AutoIt3\AutoIt3.exe) as the default program (not sure if that was a bad thing to do). After that a selection has now been added to the list of Programs you can select called "AutoIt v3 script". This looked promising, but when I select it to open the .au3 file an error box comes up that says "C:\Program File\AutoIt3\Examples\caluclator.au3 is not a valid Win32 application."

Help!! lol

Any ideas?

You need to fix your file association for the .au3 file type. I don't know why the installer wouldn't have done it for you.

Do right-click|Properties on an .au3 file, and on the General tab you should see "Opens with" with a Change button to select the application. Browse to it if AutoIt3.exe is not listed as a choice.

Is that where you "selected AutoIt3.exe as the default program"?

:graduated:

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

You need to fix your file association for the .au3 file type. I don't know why the installer wouldn't have done it for you.

Do right-click|Properties on an .au3 file, and on the General tab you should see "Opens with" with a Change button to select the application. Browse to it if AutoIt3.exe is not listed as a choice.

Is that where you "selected AutoIt3.exe as the default program"?

:graduated:

Yes, I do all of that but when I "Browse" for a program and select AutoIt3.exe it won't add it to the list of Programs.

I can however add all of the other exe files in that folder to that list (Au3Check.exe, Au3Info.exe, etc.) This is useless, but I was able to do it just to see if they would add. But for some reason it won't accept my selection of AutoIt3.exe.

In my original post I stated that I WAS able to add AutoIt3.exe to the list, but that is wrong. What I had added was one of these other exe programs by accident.

So again, I go through all the right motions, but it won't add AutoIt3 to the list of programs you can Open with.

Maybe something interferes with your actions, or attempts. Do you have AV installed maybe? If yes check too see if it causes your issues in any way.

Hmm, I'm not sure if that is casuing any issues. I will explore that angle though, thanks.

I can run AutoIt3.exe just fine. I just can't add it to the list of programs to choose as the deafualt program when clicking on .au3 files.

I've figured out the problem, thanks for all those who helped.

An old version of AutoIt had been removed before installing v3.3.6.1 and apparently XP wouldn't let me add an executable with the same name (both were called AutoIt3.exe) to the list of Programs, even though the old one was gone.