Setting the timeout on TCPConnect()

Folks -

The printing application I am creating right now needs to test the presence of an FTP server. I can use ping to tell if the host server is running and it's really quick, but I would like to actually find out if FTP is running. The problem is when I use TCPConnect it takes a very long time (20 sec. or so) to come back if the FTP service is not running. My users are not going to want to wait that long.

Is there a way to shorten the wait time? Or a better method than using TCPConnect?

Thanks again!

Library Mark

are you talking about this?

Opt('TCPTimeout',100);Defines the time before TCP functions stop if no communication. Time in milliseconds before timeout (default=100).

if i'm not mistaken, it might not be the timeout feature that is taking so long, but the fact that the packet might have to travel such distance to get to the destination.

O
;Defines the time before TCP functions stop if no communication. Time in milliseconds before timeout (default=100).

if i'm not mistaken, it might not be the timeout feature that is taking so long, but the fact that the packet might have to travel such distance to get to the destination.

Thanks - You know, I tried that, but it didn't make any difference. The server is on the same network segment as the clients are. Edited by LibrarianMark

Opt('TCPTimeout',100);Defines the time before TCP functions stop if no communication. Time in milliseconds before timeout (default=100).

Other galaxy maybe.

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

well.. i know that one try of sending a packet to japan from canada took 6 or 7 seconds to return with a script me and a buddy made.