C# - Text Encoding question

evilertoaster

hum, so I'd basically have to manually manage my byte arrays (resizing ect) when I append to them (or just allocate a safe upper-bound static one)...

I don't know if it would do very well performance wise...In the actual code I'm enumerating though the results of a very large result set of a select * in SQL, then for each column of each row I do some string manipulation (which the String object's built in methods are of great help) and format an output line to the text file I'm writing...

Sounds like alot of refactoring just to fix a supposedly basic encoding problem... I thought there'd by a better way to handle this with .NET...

Well, I can't argue with the results, a simple wrapping class allowed me near drop-in replacement for StringBuilder methods I was using:

class ByteBuilder
    {
        public List<byte> bytes;
        public ByteBuilder()
        {
            bytes = new List<byte>();
        }
        public void Append(string inStr)
        {
            bytes.AddRange(Encoding.Default.GetBytes(inStr));
        }
        public void AppendByte(byte inByte)
        {
            bytes.Add(inByte);
        }       
    }

Then it's just:

ByteBuilder bb = new ByteBuilder();
bb.Append("stuff");
bb.AppendByte(0x97);
File.WriteAllBytes("something.txt", bb.bytes.ToArray());

Thanks for the help Richard + others.

Sounds like alot of refactoring just to fix a supposedly basic encoding problem... I thought there'd by a better way to handle this with .NET...

There is... You just need to supply it in a different encoding. Convert class is a utility which doesn't use ANSI so it only works for a very limited number of cases, it uses UTF16 to work in a lot of cases.

char longdash = Convert.ToChar(8212);

Edit: I see you removed your post now. I just want to make this very clear.

Edited by Manadar

I'm facepalming right now. I meant no builders altogether. Just convert each element to bytes and write it immediately.

However, if your solution works, then that's fine.

The actual code involves a very heavy amount of looping, so you'd end up with thousands of FileWrite's doing that. You'd probably then use a Stream object for the writes instead of the static method, but at that point you're basically doing what I have there (assuming Stream objects are handled similar to an array of bytes)... and this way I don't have to refactor much.

I tested a sample case after the fact, and they're near identical in terms of performance so it's a moot point for me.

There is... You just need to supply it in a different encoding. Convert class is a utility which doesn't use ANSI so it only works for a very limited number of cases, it uses UTF16 to work in a lot of cases.

Edit: I see you removed your post now. I just want to make this very clear.

Hum, I tried:

StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder();
sb.Append("stuff" + longdash);
File.WriteAllText("something.txt", sb.ToString());

But it doesn't output correctly either... did you have a working example?

I missed that post. My bad.

Maybe from here I could try to spoon feed the solution, assuming I have an hour or two to spend to solve your problem - but I've already told you everything I know. Play with encodings, figure out what's going on - etc.

You can do it. I'm sure of it.

Edited by Manadar

• 1 month later...