$GUI_SS_DEFAULT_INPUT

saywell

OK, I've searched the helpfiles and the wiki, and can't find the answer in the forum.

What does $GUI_SS_DEFAULT_INPUT actually do? I found it while looking for an easy way to make an input box mandatory. It doesn't do that [and I'll just check for null entry], but now I'm intrigued as to what it actually does! The only helpfile entry [according to 'search] is in the list of styles under 'GUI control styles'.

It's not vital to what I'm doing, but I'd like to know for possible future reference.

Thanks,

William

• Moderators

saywell,

The $GUI_SS_DEFAULT_* styles are AutoIt shorthand for the default/forced styles used whan you create an AutoIt control without specifying any particular style. If you look in the Help file under <Appendix - GUI Control Styles> you can see which controls have such a "shorthand" style - the actual default/forced styles are listed on the various GUICtrlCreate* pages. :(

They come in handy when you want to use additional styles with the default ones. As explained in the Setting Styles tutorial in the Wiki, if you set a particular style you overwrite all existing ones - using this "shorthand" style allows you to add a new style and retain the default/forced styles more easily.

All clear? :graduated:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

saywell,

The $GUI_SS_DEFAULT_* styles are AutoIt shorthand for the default/forced styles used whan you create an AutoIt control without specifying any particular style. If you look in the Help file under <Appendix - GUI Control Styles> you can see which controls have such a "shorthand" style - the actual default/forced styles are listed on the various GUICtrlCreate* pages. :(

They come in handy when you want to use additional styles with the default ones. As explained in the Setting Styles tutorial in the Wiki, if you set a particular style you overwrite all existing ones - using this "shorthand" style allows you to add a new style and retain the default/forced styles more easily.

All clear? :graduated:

M23

Thanks. M23.

Clearer than mud, but probably beyond what I need! So it's used when you want to add a specific style to the default style, as the added style would otherwise overwrite [rather than add to] the default style.

If I'd searched on $GUI_SS_DEFAULT_ rather than the full term I would have had a 'hit' in the wiki search!

As always, there's a lot of info that's sometimes hard to find until you know enough about autoit to know where to look!!

I'm awaiting delivery tomorrow of a newly-published book on Autoit, which may or may not be helpful! I'm not a programmer by background [Medical radiologist] but I've picked up quite a bit along the way [thanks to the experts in this forum mainly]. I often find programming books either too simple or too complex, but rarely 'just right' !

Thanks for your help.

William

• Moderators

saywell,

I'm not a programmer by background

The same goes for many of us here - take a look at my profile pic to see what I used to do! :(

Which book are you expecting? If it is the Andy Flesner volume, you ought to know that the scripts therein are somewhat dated - given the pace of AutoIt development since it was published that is hardly surprising - so you may well find that they do not run without some adjustment for new syntax and changed functions. If it is not, please let us know what it is and how you find it as a guide. :graduated:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

ToBeDeleted ... SomeDay ... I Hope. Edited by MvGulik

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

"Believing what you know ain't so" ...

Knock Knock ...

saywell,

The same goes for many of us here - take a look at my profile pic to see what I used to do! :(

Which book are you expecting? If it is the Andy Flesner volume, you ought to know that the scripts therein are somewhat dated - given the pace of AutoIt development since it was published that is hardly surprising - so you may well find that they do not run without some adjustment for new syntax and changed functions. If it is not, please let us know what it is and how you find it as a guide. :graduated:

M23

Which airforce? Before the NHS I was an officer in Her Majesty's Royal Navy.

The book is

AutoIt [Paperback]

Frederic P. Miller (Editor), Agnes F. Vandome (Editor), John McBrewster (Editor)

ISBN 978-6132815705

I'll let you know if it's a dog, or the dog's bollocks!

Regards,

William

• Moderators

saywell,

CrabAir! :graduated:

M23

Spoiler

I'm awaiting delivery tomorrow of a newly-published book on Autoit, which may or may not be helpful! I'm not a programmer by background [Medical radiologist] but I've picked up quite a bit along the way [thanks to the experts in this forum mainly]. I often find programming books either too simple or too complex, but rarely 'just right' !

Definitelly look into

"C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\AutoIt.chm"

There are some sections for beginners like:

- Using AutoIt

- Language Reference

- Tutorials

Edited by Zedna

saywell,

CrabAir! :(

M23

I wish you hadn't made me google that up!

Origins of 'Crab'

; ...

Another more plausible explanation as to why the RN refer to the RAF as 'crabs' goes back to the days of rum, sodomy and the lash (about last week in fact). One of the more unsavoury aspects of the average matelot was his unfortunate habit of contracting pubic lice or "crabs" during his shore leave. The treatment for this condition was to get a chum or shipmate to apply a liberal application of a greasy blue/grey ointment (known affectionately as "crab fat") to the affected area. The proper name for the ointment was Blue Unction.

With the RN's usual powers of wit and sophistication the RAF were thereafter referred to as 'crab fats' (or crabs for short) as their blue/grey uniform was exactly the same colour as the stuff that the filthy little ratings rubbed on their swollen and lice-ravaged goolies. The RAF by contrast affectionately refer to the Royal Navy as Bum Boys or Fish Heads. The Army are Pongos, Brown Jobs or Grunts.

:graduated:

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

• Moderators

PsaltyDS,

Sorry about that - but you decided to look it up. :graduated: It was coded for saywell who as an ex-RN officer would understand instantly.

M23

Spoiler

PsaltyDS,

Sorry about that - but you decided to look it up. :( It was coded for saywell who as an ex-RN officer would understand instantly.

M23

Indeed I did!

I have some affection for WAFUs, as I was MO at RNAS Yeovilton in 1979/80 [then the busiest airfield/airport in Europe in terms of aircraft movements!]. We had a lovely bumper sticker that parodied stickers used at the time by the RN and Army, and added a bit for our light blue relations:

Fly Navy | Sail Army | Walk Sideways

William :graduated:

The treatment for this condition was to get a chum or shipmate to apply a liberal application of a greasy blue/grey ointment (known affectionately as "crab fat") to the affected area.

ummm why is the treatment a two person event?

Edited by iamtheky

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

ummm why is the treatment a two person event?

They're just naturally social folks. Same way monkeys groom each other without questioning why.

:graduated:

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law