Autoit gets wonky after a couple of hours of work

asmeyers

Hello Autoit Community;

I'm pretty new here and have just been messing around with Autoit for the last few weeks. I'm enjoying it and it's helping me automate a lot of tasks.

I've noticed this on a couple of small scripts I've been working on: after a couple of hours of writing scripts and testing them many, many times the computer seems to get wonky - meaning I'll test a script by running it, then once it's finished or I cancel it, I have a hard time continuing my work because I can't get focus on the SCiTE edit screen and the keyboard will be unresponsive. I'll click around to give focus to the SCiTE edit screen and it just won't remain in focus. I'll click down, it'll get focus, and then it'll become un-focused. I'll try and point the mouse to a certain line of code and the mouse won't work.

Typically the computer might start working as expected after a bit of clicking and banging but sometimes it won't and I do a reboot - which so far has always cleared up the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this?

My scripts are mostly me logging into different websites (though IE and the IE.au3 library) and inputting some bit of information into a forum so not I'm doing anything that ever should alter how the keyboard or mouse works.

Is there a way of flushing the computer without re-booting?

Could it also be possible you're crashing your script repeatedly during testing and leaving processes hanging?

Do a control/alt/delete, switch to the "processes" tab, and see if you have a million iexplore.exe, or word.exe, or excel.exe, or autoit.exe, or the autoit wrapper (whatever it's called), processes hanging in limbo...

Edit: If you have a bunch of hanging processes, you can highlight the process, then select "end process" from that tab in the Task Manager and kill them one-at-a-time until the mess is cleaned up.

Edited by Spiff59

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think I have a virus infection as I'm using an old laptop which I recently re-formatted and re-installed Win XP on so I haven't really done much with the computer except building these Autoit scripts.

It's quite possible I do have a memory leak - although I'm not sure how I would know or detect or correct this.

My background is with PHP and Perl programming, and you never really have to worry about declaring variables or worrying too much about memory so it's quite possible my Autoit scripts aren't as clean as they should by. When a PHP script ends, even with an error, you don't really have to worry about any residual memory issues. Is that not the case with Autoit? For instance, I am declaring a lot of arrays and variables, if my script dies (as it often does in testing) does Autoit free up the used memory?

I thought I did look at the running processes and didn't see anything strange with that. I'll check that again.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. Since no one else is having these issues I'll dig a bit more on my system.

I

To detect a memory leak I would start your program and hit ctrl alt del and click on the performance tab. Keep an eye on what your physical memory says during the start of the program and then when it gets flaky, see what the physical memory reads. You should test this with the paging file disabled I would think and don't touch the computer for several hours - only have your program running. If it flakes out and there is no available memory in the performance tab in task manager then you have a memory leak.

Get Scite to add a popup when you use a 3rd party UDF -> http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/docs/SciTE4AutoIt3/user-calltip-manager.html