What do you think of the Setup?

Setup GUI  

6 members have voted

1. 1. You like the Setup GUI?

• Yes
    • No
    • Need to improve

If you want any types of Features that have not been listed on www.antop.co.uk/SetupStudio then please go to www.antopforum.co.cc and then Request the Feature. Go there NOW

Please cast your vote and a reply based on which one you have voted as this is important to know what people think.

Look at the setup below.

Download link below.

Download Setup Preview

Images

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Guest

I would need to see more of the setup code to make a good decision here. How does it handle "unsafe" files? Is it fully scriptable or does it just accept input from a GUI? Does it handle registry and ini entries? Is there an option to generate an uninstaller? Does it cleanup properly after an uninstall? Can it install external files? Does it allow for custom windows to be added to the installer GUI? Does it allow you to select optional files to download and install?

There is more to a good installer than just placing a few files where you want them and all of these questions above are critical issues. Writing Install compilers is a specialized field all in itself and that's why I stick with known software to do it. have you noticed that even AutoIt uses NSIS to install?

Now if you are asking if I would use yours, the answer is probably no. Like I said, there are critical considerations to be looked at so I'll stick with what I know does the job.

EDIT:

If you have been around the industry long enough, you will know why Inno setup is now a freeware setup compiler. It wasn't always that way, it only became freeware after Jordan Russel was sued because of something he overlooked and I didn't even get that "something" in the list above. Instead of giving up, he started from scratch and solved the issues but kept it as freeware so there would be no onus on him.

Edited by GEOSoft

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

I would need to see more of the setup code to make a good decision here. How does it handle "unsafe" files? Is it fully scriptable or does it just accept input from a GUI? Does it handle registry and ini entries? Is there an option to generate an uninstaller? Does it cleanup properly after an uninstall? Can it install external files? Does it allow for custom windows to be added to the installer GUI? Does it allow you to select optional files to download and install?

There is more to a good installer than just placing a few files where you want them and all of these questions above are critical issues. Writing Install compilers is a specialized field all in itself and that's why I stick with known software to do it. have you noticed that even AutoIt uses NSIS to install?

Now if you are asking if I would use yours, the answer is probably no. Like I said, there are critical considerations to be looked at so I'll stick with what I know does the job.

EDIT:

If you have been around the industry long enough, you will know why Inno setup is now a freeware setup compiler. It wasn't always that way, it only became freeware after Jordan Russel was sued because of something he overlooked and I didn't even get that "something" in the list above. Instead of giving up, he started from scratch and solved the issues but kept it as freeware so there would be no onus on him.

What do you mean by "unsafe files"?

It is scriptable because it has 4 events that let you add your own code to the setup.

It does handle registry and ini entries.

There is an option to enable trial security to the setup and serials management.

There is an option to generate an uninstaller.

Does it cleanup properly after an uninstall? YES

Can it install external files? Be more specific, from where. Do you mean outside the setup archive.

Does it allow for custom windows to be added to the installer GUI? On the events yes and lets you customize screens that I have already prepared for the user.

Does it allow you to select optional files to download and install? NOT ADDED YET

It compiles the setup for you; it uses a compiler that lets you add files more then 2GB.

There is an option to have background window fully customizable.

Thanks for your questions. GEOSoft

Edited by Guest

There are certain Windows files that the user should NEVER be allowed to change. There are others where only the redist versions are allowed to be used. For any system file changes you should also be verifying that the version being installed is newer than the existing version and that there are no other files dependent on the version that you are replacing (replace them if there are). Someplace around here I have a fairly complete list of the files considered unsafe to change. That's not to say that the user can't go ahead and change them on his own anyway but your installer should not do it for them.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"