Hotkeys and Buttons

whizter

hi

I need some help.

I'm trying to get this to work, but everything seems to fail.

This is what I have:

1) a button ("Start (F8)")

2) a hotkey ("{F8}")

3) Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)

I can't use a msg loop cause of blocking functions!

HotKeySet("{F8}", "togglePause")

$btnStart = GUICtrlCreateButton("Start (F8)", 217, 101, 135, 44, $WS_GROUP)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 14, 800, 0, "Verdana")
GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "togglePause")

Func togglePause()
    $paused = Not $paused
    If ($paused) Then
        GUICtrlSetData($btnStart, "Start (F8)")
    EndIf
    While $paused
        Sleep(50)
    WEnd
    GUICtrlSetData($btnStart, "Stop (F8)")
EndFunc

If I click Start/Stop twice then every button stops responding, I can't close the form etc.

Using the Hotkey I have no problems.

I don't understand why this isn't working, is there a way to get this working without a msgloop?

well, I didn't solve the problem itself but I think this is an acceptable solution, it can be started using the button but it can only be stopped using the hotkey, which is ok for me:

Func togglePause()
    $paused = Not $paused
    If ($paused) Then
        GUICtrlSetData($btnStart, "Start: [F8]")
        GUICtrlSetState ($btnStart,$GUI_ENABLE)
    EndIf
    While $paused
        Sleep(50)
    WEnd
    GUICtrlSetData($btnStart, "Stop: [F8]")
    GUICtrlSetState ($btnStart,$GUI_DISABLE)
EndFunc   ;==>togglePause

Intriguing. I found the exact same thing trying to reproduce: OnEvent function calling seems to not support recursion; hotkeys do. I don't know if it is intended OnEvent behaviour... You can ofcourse put your pauseloop outside of the function itself so that it exits the togglePause() and loops elsewhere if $paused==True, but judging your post I'd say that you already thought of that but that your script doesn't have, or isn't always looping through, one main loop? :graduated:

Roses are FF0000, violets are 0000FF... All my base are belong to you.

Intriguing. I found the exact same thing trying to reproduce: OnEvent function calling seems to not support recursion; hotkeys do. I don't know if it is intended OnEvent behaviour... You can ofcourse put your pauseloop outside of the function itself so that it exits the togglePause() and loops elsewhere if $paused==True, but judging your post I'd say that you already thought of that but that your script doesn't have, or isn't always looping through, one main loop? :graduated:

Yes I already thought of that. I have a main loop, but I can't check there because various functions are called from there that take some time to compute (and I want my start/stop button to react immediately), and in that timespan my button wouldn't work then. It would be like using a msgloop. That's the problem, and now I think there's no real solution to it.

EDIT: I got an idea now, what about switching GUIOnEventMode on the fly and start a msgloop instead of my waiting loop? Well, I will test this tomorrow, going to bed now. :(

Edited by whizter