FileOpen with Date/Time related Macros?

SQAGuy

Newbe here trying to create a time-stamped log file that doesn't exist using FileOpen ("Filename", 1) but it is failing.

Here's an example that passes the syntax checker but fails to create the file... what am I doing wrong?

$LogFile = FileOpen("C:\LogFile" & @YEAR & "-" & @MON & "-" & @MDAY & "_" & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ":" & @SEC ".txt",1)

Thanks for your help!

You forgot an ampersand "&" near the end of the string.

If you had run the syntax checker (CTRL-F5 in SciTE) it would have pointed that out exactly down to the character position.

:graduated:

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

You forgot an ampersand "&" near the end of the string.

If you had run the syntax checker (CTRL-F5 in SciTE) it would have pointed that out exactly down to the character position.

$LogFile = FileOpen("C:\LogFile" & @YEAR & "-" & @MON & "-" & @MDAY & "_" & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ":" & @SEC & ".txt",1)

Oops, I hand-typed the line in the original post and missed the ampersand after @SEC...

this continues to fail creating the file at the root of the C:\ directory.

i have the following check:

;VALIDATE THE LOG FILE EXISTS

If $LogFile = -1 Then

MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open file.")

Exit

EndIf

Edited by SQAGuy

Do you have permissions to create files in C: root?

Edit: Oops, missed the colons ":" which are not valid in a file path unless there is only one for an alternate stream (don't ask). Just change ":" to "-" or something else.

:(

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Do you have permissions to create files in C: root?

Edit: Oops, missed the colons ":" which are not valid in a file path unless there is only one for an alternate stream (don't ask). Just change ":" to "-" or something else.

:(

Yes, I have full admin rights to the box. FileOpen without the date/time macros will work just fine on the same PC. :D

Edited by SQAGuy

As Psalty mentioned in his edit, you can't use colons in a file name which is why it won't create the file when using the macros.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator