AutoIt data types

rdwray

DllCall lists data types and AutoIt "Language Reference" lists data types and they differ. Example:

DllCall:

DWORD an unsigned 32 bit integer

AutoIt "Language Reference":

Double A double-precision floating point number.

I am having a lot of difficulty working my way through AutoIt's Help and the forum because of this. The DllCall definitions matches Windows SDK. :x

“No other God have I but Thee; born in a manger, died on a tree.” Martin Luther

Well, what exactly confuses you? Except for some wrong/incomplete descriptions (none of which you quoted) things with dllcall types are very clear.

The 2 items I quoted are not sufficient? Then what do you need? "wrong/incomplete" information is what causes hours of frustration.

No they are not sufficient. Description for dword and double types is completely complete and sufficient.

I just went through the help file and I must correct myself since with the latest version of the help file description for dllcall types is fine. "wrong/incomplete" no more.

What frustrated you?

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

No they are not sufficient. Description for dword and double types is completely complete and sufficient.

I just went through the help file and I must correct myself since with the latest version of the help file description for dllcall types is fine. "wrong/incomplete" no more.

What frustrated you?

v3.3.6.1

©1999-2010 Jonathan Bennett & AutoIt Team

AutoIt v3 Homepage

Wrong; the quotes I gave you is what I got from the latest download of AutoIt. If you have a private help file that no one else has, then will you please post it.

Wrong; the quotes I gave you is what I got from the latest download of AutoIt. If you have a private help file that no one else has, then will you please post it.

That's the same version I have.

Will you please answer my questions now. I asked two questions and you answered none.

You need to be very exact. What is it that you think it's wrong in description of datatypes?

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

That's the same version I have.

Will you please answer my questions now. I asked two questions and you answered none.

You need to be very exact. What is it that you think it's wrong in description of datatypes?

Reference my first post: One place says a DWORD is floating point. Another place says DWORD is a 32 bit usigned int. The 2 different types will not work together; they are totally different types of data.

Reference my first post: One place says a DWORD is floating point. Another place says DWORD is a 32 bit usigned int. The 2 different types will not work together; they are totally different types of data.

dword is dword and double is double.

double is not dword and dword is not double.

That helps?

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

• Moderators

rdwray,

I believe you are comparing apples and oranges here. :x

- The AutoIt data types listed in the Help file <Language Reference> section are the internal variant datatypes used by AutoIt itself - i.e. the types used by AutoIt variables.

- The valid DllCall parameter types are those required by the DLL, which unsurprisingly are the same as the SDK as you mentioned.

I must say that I am surprised that you have "a lot of difficulty" distinguishing between them - I have not found this to be problem. When discussing DLLs, use the DllCall definitions - when discussing AutoIt variable typing, use the <Language Reference> definitions.

Anyway, in my admittedly limited experience with DllCall, the different types are only really used to allocate the correct number of bits in the structure - hence the multiple types to produce the same result (for example: int, long and BOOL all allocate space for a 32 bit integer).

No doubt someone will be along soon to disabuse me of my hobbyist beliefs, but they have served me in good stead so far! :P

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

dword is dword and double is double.

double is not dword and dword is not double.

That helps?

You are right and I am wrong and this is what caused it: I spent a couple of hours just trying to find a list of the "Data Types" and it only showed up when I got to DllCall, is there a link in the Help file that I missed?