Verify Button or text field existance

Hi all,

Hate to have to start a new topic for this but I have been unable to find an existing thread that address's my issue.

I have written some code that uses ControlGetText to check if the text field has the proper value in it and if not I use ControlSend to insert the proper value. I found that if I change the ControlID to something that does not exist the script continues as if nothing has happened. I would like to be able to verify if a field exists. I would also like to be able to verify if a button exists.

I thought maybe I could use the return value in ControlClick to figure out if I was successful or not but so far the only value I get back is 0 for failure. This happens both when I have the correct ControlID (and the click works) and when I enter an incorrect ControlID.

WinWaitActive("Reports")

MsgBox(4096,"",@error)
SetError(2)
MsgBox(4096,"",@error)

ControlClick("Reports", "", "[CLASS:ThunderRT6PictureBoxDC; INSTANCE:3]") ;Run Reports Button
MsgBox(4096,"",@error)

I am using MsgBox in an attempt to track what is going on. When I first run this code @error equals 0 and then it changes to 2 (I intentionally set it to something different from 0 or 1 to make sure things are working properly). When I have the correct ControlID in the code the next message box displays 0 BUT I see the screen change as it is supposed to when this button is clicked. When I have the wrong ControlID in the code the next message box displays 0 (and nothing happens).

I kind of figure I am making some stupid mistake in how I use @error but after trolling forums and help file I haven't been able to figure out what my problem is.

Whats my problem? Is there a better way to verify a button or field's existence than by using the return value?

Try it this way:

$hButton = ControlGetHandle("Reports", "", "[CLASS:ThunderRT6PictureBoxDC; INSTANCE:3]")
If $hButton Then
     ControlClick("Reports", "", $hButton) ;Run Reports Button
Else
     MsgBox(16, "Error", "Button not found.")
EndIf

:x

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Thanks PsaltyDS!

I had tried working with ControlGetHandle for a bit but I was trying to use the @error (still confused about the whole return value @error thing but meh) return value as described in AutoIt Help.

That code works great and I have been able to use it for both buttons and text fields. Thanks again.