User account data backup tool

llewxam

As a preface, I am a computer tech and as such I often need to wipe and reload Windows for customers. Data backups are something that can't be taken lightly - people usually have a lot of it, but no idea what/where and no backups. Add in that some apps like certain versions of Quicken, QuickBooks and other (non-Intuit) apps don't always save user data in their Documents folders, plus hiring other techs who may not know where to find things as simple as an Outlook PST file, or someone just having a bad day and missed something.................. you see where this is going - we (technicians) need a stand-alone data backup tool that works on any version of Windows that can reliably save data.

What I am posting is my 5th version that I have written for my company's use. V3 worked like a charm, but was slow in all respects - searching was slow, and the actual copying was slow using the AI internal Copy() command, plus using the standard ProgrssBars in Vista/7 drives me CrAzY due to the lag. I wanted to re-write it to address these issues! I have stripped out some functions found in the forums here to fit my uses, namely _FileListToArrayXT (here renamed _DocFolderFind), _LargeFileCopy (SOOOOOO much faster when it has to deal with lots of little files!!!!!), and the use of GDI+ ProgressBars to avoid the Aero lag.

V5 works great much of the time, but not always, and that is why I am posting in Help and Support rather than Example Scripts - because I am at wits end and want some feedback, and hopefully this app will congeal in to something useful to many others in my line of work!

Final notes - YES, I wanted the GUI to make the user's eyes bleed!! haha, it was fun making it and I dig it. The included 7Z file has the script plus all requisites - background.jpg, GDIpProgress.au3, and takeown.exe for file/folder ownership. I debated posting the script in a code tag, but it is 1422 lines at the time of posting, so......no. :x

I thank anyone in advance for input, fixes, and suggestions on making this tool a great, free, and universal solution!!!!!

Ian

db5 113010.7z

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • 2048 Game - My version of 2048, fun tile game.
  • Juice Lab - Ecigarette liquid making calculator.
  • Data Protector - Secure notes to save sensitive information.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.
  • Find in File - Searches files containing a specified phrase.

WOW! man its greate! thank you i'm teh, too. If i'll finds some trouble i'll update you :x

[center][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Die die die my darling[/font][/center][center][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Don't utter a single word[/font][/center][center][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Die die die my darling[/font][/center][center][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Just shut your pretty mouth[/font][/center][center][font=courier new,courier,monospace]I'll be seeing you again[/font][/center][center][font=courier new,courier,monospace]I'll be seeing you[/font][/center][center][font=courier new,courier,monospace]In hell[/font][/center]

One small thing i did find was if when choosing destination if you close the X and shut the popup, you cannot choose again on the destination box, as it turns green and wont do the popup again, ill test more later when i have time and report back.

PS very in your face colours :x

V5 works great much of the time, but not always, and that is why I am posting in Help and Support rather than Example Scripts - because I am at wits end and want some feedback, and hopefully this app will congeal in to something useful to many others in my line of work!

Hi Ian

What doesn't work?

Maybe some targeted testing will shine some light on the problem

The biggest problem has been the file detection routines, sometimes blank entries were getting in so I have gone to the ends of the Earth trying to eliminate blank entries. Either due to that or other issues the app fails some times while the "Please wait, sorting" window is up.

Other than that, just random bugs that cause it to crash on occasion, and I am looking for other improvements to speed, reliability, and ways to find other data that I haven't specified.

One other idea I had that I wanted feedback on, forgot to post it above - I was thinking of having an XML file and a way for the app to update it so people could specify additional things to browse for. Example - this version does not have MYOB detection, so if you wanted it, add it to an XML file, or make individual XMLs for specific jobs, and then the app can look for that data. Thoughts??

Thanks

Ian

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.

Double-post, Delete doesn't work?

grrrr :x

Ian

Edited by llewxam

My projects: