Ubuntu / Linix version of AutoIt install

rdwray

AutoIt depends on calls to standard Windows APIs. It will work (mostly) in WINE, where those APIs have been replicated, but not in the native Linux environment.

:x

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Just wanted to update this:

After spending several days with Ubuntu, I have uninstalled.

Here is some drawbacks.

1. The Linux MBR will override Windows; booting must be selected via Linux menu. I reinitating Windows BCD and it worked, BUT the Linux menu was still present and had to be used AFTER selecting from BCD. :x

2. It is impossible to get rid of entering passwords - even though some (and there are bunches) can be bypassed, there are many that cannot be.

3. They have a "screenlet", which is similar to a "gadget", but it will not reload properly.

4. My wireless would keep pausing.

5. A lot of system operations are commandline operations. They are in the process of adding GUI functions, but they have a long ways to go.

What I did like was the desktop:

1. Small menubar at top and a small taskbar at bottom. You can add any program icon to the menubar.

2. On screen menu at top.

3. Aero type display with color control.

Ubuntu is not the issue, it is Linux with their old style that refuses to allow the user to take control of their computer. The system is designer for network use, not personal.

Edited by rdwray

“No other God have I but Thee; born in a manger, died on a tree.” Martin Luther

Ubuntu is not the issue, it is Linux with their old style that refuses to allow the user to take control of their computer.

This sentence is not quite right I'm afraid. The whole idea of linux is give the user more control. Ubuntu takes some of that away, giving you some stuff you may not want or need, and making it much more windows-like.

2. It is impossible to get rid of entering passwords - even though some (and there are bunches) can be bypassed, there are many that cannot be.

That's to stop you joining a botnet! Windows [don'cha luv it?] allows too much access to the kernel functions from t'internet [esp via active-X and its ilk] for many peoples' liking, especially if you use IE rather than a third-party browser.

William

• 4 weeks later...

System is not to be for the normal user .. i would rather go back to the old way prompts as that is the way i use it i don't like the gui that they have most of the time i have the terminal up and don't use the gui ... but really this is suppose to allow more abilities to the user and not all users can understand that..

windows got rid of DOS for the most part as ppl thought was to hard to use... while linix got a gui for those users that are used to windows styles to use it .. but with that addition that has limited the abilties of the over all functions of the system

SO IMO linux is worse with the gui that other wise.. and not all users can use it as it is based on prompts and such and commands to run its not suppose to be simple click and go .. sry to bust ur bubble but ur not a "linux" lover then:)

Despite all the discussion about the pros and cons of Linux; the fact remains that AutoIt is a Windows Automation tool and not intended for use with Linux nor will it ever be intended for use with Linux. Even with Wine not all functions will work properly in any Linux distro.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

Yea after all that i said i forgot to mention that:) LOL but yea its a windows based and well linux is not windows:) LOL but yes very tru and it does work to a point on it just not all functions work.. which is all good if your writing on linux and using on windows machine:)