GuiComboBox.au3

cag8f

I am playing with GuiComboBoxEx.au3 for the first time. I am trying to get _GUICtrlComboBoxEx_ShowDropDown() to show the menu of a combo box. The combo box may or may not be Windows standard. The entire script is:

#include <GuiComboBoxEx.au3>

_GUICtrlComboBoxEx_ShowDropDown($handle, True)

Exit

For $handle I specified the "Handle" of the combobox, as returned by the AutoIt Info tool. However nothing happens when I run the script. Am I correct that this should show the menu of the combobox? Please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong as far as syntax or operation.

OS is Win XP Pro.

• Moderators

cag8f,

A rather negative response I am afraid. :P

The UDF commands often only work on controls created by the UDF, so I would hold out little hope of any of the _GUICtrlComboBoxEx_* commands working on anything other than a combo created with _GUICtrlComboBoxEx_Create - as you have found. If you are trying to open a combo in a third party app, I would try _GUICtrlComboBox_ShowDropDown - but if the combo is not created using the normal Windows API then there is a good chance it will not work either. However, you might be lucky so give it a go. :x

Finally, getting the handle via the Info tool is not the best way to go as it will change each time you run the app.

I did warn you! :shifty:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Very informative. The fact that _GUICtrlComboBoxEx_* commands only work on controls created by the UDF explains everything.

>> Finally, getting the handle via the Info tool is not the best way to go as it will change each time you run the app.

This I actually knew, thanks.

>> I would try _GUICtrlComboBox_ShowDropDown

That does not work, as expected.

Now a follow up question: In light of all this, do I have any other options as far as controlling this non-standard command?