Subtitle pretty much says it.

This program darkens the screen except for the active window with options accessible through a convenient tray icon.

Other options are supported as well, including:

• active window-change fading control
  • custom darkening color (instead of default black)
  • background image choice (faded image over background windows. weird, but ok.)
  • etc...
Obligatory Screenshot:

Posted Image

Download:

WindowDarken.zip (source)

Off-topic notes:

I have no clue if there are other programs that do something similar, nor did I really check. I didn't really check the forum thoroughly either to see if something like this already existed, sorry.

This was written initially for Windows XP, so I'm sorry if I wasted your time if something like this exists in your Windows Vista or 7.

Tech summary:

Forces the active Window as Topmost and a solid "darken" window on top of the normal windosw.

Has complications concerning topmost state changes of both windows and other topmost windows.

Doesn't seem to get along with some windows (namely GIMP's editor window).

Some exclusions are coded in, but there may need to be an option added later to allow custom exclusions.

Au3.3.6.1 tested

WinXP SP3 tested

You may now critique my horrible code. *fires starting pistol* :x

Edit 5-5-2013: Images were not visible

Edited by crashdemons

My Projects - WindowDarken (Darken except the active window) Yahsmosis Chat Client (Discontinued) StarShooter Game (Red alert! All hands to battlestations!) YMSG Protocol Support (Discontinued) Circular Keyboard and OSK example. (aka Iris KB) Target Screensaver Drive Toolbar Thingy Rollup Pro (Minimize-to-Titlebar & More!) 2D Launcher physics example Ascii Screenshot AutoIt3 Quine Example ("Is a Quine" is a Quine.) USB Lock (Another system keydrive - with a toast.)

Nice idea and implementation! I like it and it seems to work properly also on Windows Server 2008.

Can you implement to activate the window under the mouse after x ms?

Br,

UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

Nice idea and implementation! I like it and it seems to work properly also on Windows Server 2008.

Can you implement to activate the window under the mouse after x ms?

Br,

UEZ

I'm not sure what API calls would make this happen, but in Windows XP this behavior can be enabled through Microsoft's Tweak UI program.

( Mouse -> X-Mouse )

Could just be a registry setting, but I'm not sure what it does to make it take effect immediately.

I have no idea about Server 2008 support for this feature though...

- - - - -

If this can be solved with a system setting, I will probably consider it beyond the scope of this project.

_WinAPI_SystemParameterInfo() with SPI_SETACTIVEWINDOWTRACKING perhaps?

Edited by crashdemons

My Projects - WindowDarken (Darken except the active window) Yahsmosis Chat Client (Discontinued) StarShooter Game (Red alert! All hands to battlestations!) YMSG Protocol Support (Discontinued) Circular Keyboard and OSK example. (aka Iris KB) Target Screensaver Drive Toolbar Thingy Rollup Pro (Minimize-to-Titlebar & More!) 2D Launcher physics example Ascii Screenshot AutoIt3 Quine Example ("Is a Quine" is a Quine.) USB Lock (Another system keydrive - with a toast.)