How to prevent my programme from being cracked? :((

Hi,

I'm writing to ask you guys some of the methods to make my programme harder to crack... :x I have try many thing to make my anti-cracking system more efficient, but nothing seems to work. :P

• The very first version of my programme has a few features. And I just put all IDs, and pass in a list of arrays. If the user enters the ID and password correctly, then the programme will run, ortherwise, it'll quit. This is easy to crack...
  • Then, I use Obfuscator to make my programme harder to crack.
  • The third, and also the most advanced version of my anti-cracking system is that I put all the IDs, and pass inside a text file, and up it to a host. Then, when the programme runs, it'll download the file, and put it in an array. But it's still crackable... And worse, some of them even DDOS my host, and my account just simply gets banned. :shifty:

Now I'm thinking of making a server, and when the user starts the application (the client, with some of the needed data removed), it'll connect to the server. The server then checks the genuineness of the programme. If the application is genuine, the needed data will be sent back from the server so that the programme could work.

However, there are something that troubles me:

• First of all, the server costs money. This can be easily tackled by using my computer as a server.
  • However, if I use my computer as a server, my IP address will be known. And crackers can hack (or hi-jack) straight into my comp. This is just horrible, thinking of this makes me shiver... :nuke:(

So I think I'll store my IP address somewhere on the NET, and on detecting cracking activity, the server will automatically change the address stored on the NET to 0.0.0.0. However, I'm not sure how I can do it. I can up my IP address to the host using a web explorer, but I wonder if I can change it automatically using AutoIT? Which I mean is, can I modified a file stored in a host on the internet through AutoIT?

Or, can anyone recommend me any method to prevent cracking? :lol:

Thanks guys a lot in advance,

Best regards,

For starters, don't release them ... Or code them in a other language than AutoIt.

And last. As far as I know there is no method yet that is proven to be cracking save. (and there probably also never will be that also allows you to run the program.)

:x

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

"Believing what you know ain't so" ...

Knock Knock ...

If you have an app so good that its got the interest of people wanting to crack/hack it or whatever, just licence it or something at let it be known its yours, dont waste time engaging them, you will lose, just concentrate on improving it.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

If you have an app so good that its got the interest of people wanting to crack/hack it or whatever, just licence it or something at let it be known its yours, dont waste time engaging them, you will lose, just concentrate on improving it.

Thanks for your reply... But, the problem is that licensing in Vietnam here does not work at all. Yes, I know that it's impossible to prevent cracks. Even Microsoft softwares can get cracked, right? :x However, I really want to reduce the risk of being cracked as low as possible... :P

Well... I still want to ask if there's anyway that I can modified a file stored in a host by using AutoIT? :shifty:

• 2 weeks later...

Its never an easy answer, but if you have spent too much working on it using autoit, converting to another language is not any easier. :P

Once of a easier solution which I have been using is hide it under a wrapper. :x

Or even inside another language(I use another language as a wrapper(fileinstall)).

These are just simple method which can be undone(!!!!) by an expert(know-how).

But as long as I dont brag about the language I code it in, whose going to bother to find out, unless its a very very very hot app that receive unwanted attention too much. :shifty:

• 5 months later...

Encryption is your answer.

Specifically, Asymmetric Public-Private key encryption. You'll have a tough job implementing the protocol.

The stronger your private key and it's bit depth, the tougher a malicious attacker's job will be at cracking your script. At a rough estimate a 256 bit grade encryption will take 30 years on an Opteron 2.2 Ghz machine.

:) Adam

PS: Some laws do not allow export of certain relevant algorithms. Sorry, guv.

@AdamSteel

It isn't the size of keys, the hardness of the encryption algorithm or protocol that makes the whole chain weak.

It's that you can circumvent any "protection" by finally changing one bit: allowed or not.

Given the determination of OP opponents, I don't recommend him spending much time trying to protect something that weak. He's better devising another business model.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Dont add too much security, that's often the mistake newly started and small companies make, look at the big guys like M$, Adobe, AutoDesk etc. etc., they could put way more security into their programs than they do, but they know that for every 1 million cracked copies, they get 10000 sales that they wouldnt have gotten if it wasnt cracked.

The more your software spreads by piracy, the more people hear about it, and there are always those honest people that will pay for the software, something like 1% to 3%, but that's 1 to 3% more than you would have gotten if it wasnt cracked, and add to that the explosion in growth the more people hearing about it, and when it really spreads, those 1 to 3%, although not sounding like much, may equal several 1000% increase in your income.

My suggestion, get completely rid of the online/web checking, leave your other security as you need to have some, just incase you need to drag someone to court later on when you have grown big, like if you dont lock your bike you get no insurance, no lock on software, no help in court.

Ease up on the security :)

/edit

So what I was saying, why spend hours after hours, weeks after weeks, trying to secure your program, with the end result that nobody's gonna hear about it, so then you have to spend thousands on advertising to spread knowledge about your program, when you can just let the pirates do the advertising for your, and then spend all those hours improving your program so it get's even more interesting and spread more, plus save the thousands you would have spend on advertising.

I mean, does the software cost you anything ? it's already made, it cost you nothing using the "copy" command in dos prompt ;)

Edited by Werty

Some guy's script + some other guy's script = my script!

• 4 years later...

Try <snip>,  it's modern protection system for Windows applications.

I've tested it very carefully with AutoIt generated executables and it works ok. PM for discount codes :)

<snip>

PS. I know this topic is old, but if you will look at my site you will see it's relevant to the question in 100%.

Edited by Melba23
Removed link and image

• Moderators

PELock,

it is also payware and we do not accept advertising.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area