How to Query Distinguished Name in AD

Bodman

Hi, I am trying to output 2 figures from AD

The First is to count how many users in AD have the String OU=C3084* in the Distinguished name attribute and

the second is of the first output how many have them have the mail attribute set.

I have read what feels like the entire internet about adfunctions but im not sure how to start Can anyone point me in the right direction please

I was trying to run a query like this

$objCommand.CommandText = "<LDAP://" & $strDNSDomain & ">;(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(ou=*c3408*)); distinguishedname,mail;subtree"

to no avail :x

Any pointers in the right direction appreciated

//Bodman

Edited by Bodman

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To get all users with mail attribute set you could use

#include <ad.au3>
_AD_Open()
$aResult = _AD_GetObjectsInOU("","(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(mail=*))",2,"samAccountName")
_ArrayDisplay($aResult)
_AD_Close()

I'm investigating how to query the OU.

Edit: Unfortunately you can't use a wildcard with a distinguishedName (according to the X.500 standards). So you have to do it yourself:

#include <ad.au3>
Global $aResult[1]
$sOU = "OU=C3084"
_AD_Open()
$aOUs = _AD_GetAllOUs()
For $iIndex = 1 To $aOUs[0][0]
    $aTemp = StringSplit($aOUs[$iIndex][1], ",")
    If StringInStr($aTemp[1], $sOU) > 0 Then
        $aMail = _AD_GetObjectsInOU($aOUs[$iIndex][1],"(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(mail=*))",1,"samAccountName")
        _ArrayConcatenate($aResult, $aMail, 1)
    EndIf
Next
$aResult[0] = UBound($aResult, 1) - 1
_ArrayDisplay($aResult)
_AD_Close()

This example gets a list of all OUs in your AD, searches for OUs starting with C3084 and queries each of this OUs for all users with attribute mail <> "" and returns the samaccountname. The result is concatenated to a result table.

If you want to get more then the samaccountname then you have to do the concatenation yourself as _ArrayConcatenate only works for 1-dimensional arrays.

Howto use LDAP-Filters: SelfADSI

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

ok im missing something here if I run

#include <ad.au3>
_AD_Open()
$aResult = _AD_GetObjectsInOU("","(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user))",2,"samAccountName")
_ArrayDisplay($aResult)
_AD_Close()

I removed the (mail=*) to try and get a list of all users first but I dont get anything at all returned :P

I ran

#include <AD.au3>
_AD_Open()
ConsoleWrite($sAD_DNSDomain & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite($sAD_HostServer & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite($sAD_Configuration & @CRLF)
_AD_Close()

and got

DC=mydomain,DC=net

s0000664.mydomain.net

CN=Configuration,DC=mydomain,DC=net

and tried to add that to _AD_Open()but as far as I can see its opening the connection as I get a error code of 1 :x

My domain is 5 levels could that have something to do with it ?

Domain

Continent

Country

Site

SiteID

Users

Although if I run the LDAP query

$objCommand.CommandText = "<LDAP://" & $strDNSDomain & ">;(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)); name,sAMAccountName,distinguishedname;subtree"

it dumps everything :shifty:

Any help appreciated :nuke:

Bod

Edited by Bodman

If you run the _AD_GetobjectsInOU example script - what do you get?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

If you run the _AD_GetobjectsInOU example script - what do you get?

If I run your ADAudit.au3 script and try any queries I get the error (Is this what u want me to try)

Error 1 in _AD_GetObjectsInOU processing your query:.........

If I run your ADAudit.au3 script and try any queries I get the error (Is this what u want me to try)

Error 1 in _AD_GetObjectsInOU processing your query:.........

No, in the AD.ZIP file there is an example script for every function of the Active Directory UDF.

So you can find a _AD_GetObjectsInOU.au3 in the ZIP file.

What do you get if you run this example script?

BTW: Which version of the UDF do you run (can be found in the header - line 11 - of AD.au3)

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

No, in the AD.ZIP file there is an example script for every function of the Active Directory UDF.

So you can find a _AD_GetObjectsInOU.au3 in the ZIP file.

What do you get if you run this example script?

BTW: Which version of the UDF do you run (can be found in the header - line 11 - of AD.au3)

UDF Version ...: 0.42

Sry I missed the examples in there (DOH) if I run the example script I get a list of everyone in the Same OU that I am in :) (Example 1 - so it appears to work fine ;) )

post-52553-0-37936700-1295607911_thumb.g

Edited by Bodman

it looks like if I add

#include <AD.au3>

; Get FQDN for the currently logged on user
Global $sFQDN = _AD_SamAccountNameToFQDN()

; Strip off the CN
Global $iPos = StringInStr($sFQDN, ",")
Global $sOU = StringMid($sFQDN, $iPos + 1)

Global $aObjects[1][1]

from the example file then the script may work :)

//Bod

Edited by Bodman

As the example script works there just seems to be a problem with the other script.

... then the script may work :)

What script are you talking about? My script posted in or do you have your own version? Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Sorry im confusing things, OK

If I run the original script from #3

#include <ad.au3>
_AD_Open()
$aResult = _AD_GetObjectsInOU("","(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(mail=*))",2,"samAccountName")
_ArrayDisplay($aResult)
_AD_Close()

I cant get that to work (The script runs, then exits)

However if I take the first part from your example and add it to that script it appears to work.

#include <ad.au3>
_AD_Open()

; Get FQDN for the currently logged on user
Global $sFQDN = _AD_SamAccountNameToFQDN()

; Strip off the CN
Global $iPos = StringInStr($sFQDN, ",")
Global $sOU = StringMid($sFQDN, $iPos + 1)

Global $aObjects[1][1]

$aResult = _AD_GetObjectsInOU($sOU,"(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(mail=*))",2,"samAccountName")
_ArrayDisplay($aResult)
_AD_Close()

It looks like for me that the line

$aResult = _AD_GetObjectsInOU($sOU,"(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(mail=*))",2,"samAccountName")

must have the OU set $sOU instead of "" although as far as I can see "" should be enough to make it work.

//Bod

Edited by Bodman

I'm confused :)

In function _AD_GetObjectsInOU the first parameter (starting OU) is replaced with $sAD_DNSDomain if empty.

In your example you start to search in the OU where the currently logged on userid is located.

So:

"" is replaced with "DC=mydomain,DC=net" => should search the entire tree

"OU=User_Accounts,DC=mydomain,DC=net" => only searches the OU (and children) where your userid is located. So you only get a subset of the possible results.

Be sure that parameter 3 ($iAD_SearchScope) is set to 2 so the starting OU plus sub-tree is scanned!

Be sure that the first parameter is two double quotes without a space between them: "" yiels correct results, " " yields nothing!

Let's do some error checking to trap this down:

#include <ad.au3>
$iResult = _AD_Open()
MsgBox(16, "_AD_Open", "Result: " & $iResult & @CRLF & "Error: " & @error & @CRLF & "Extended: " & @extended)
$iError = @error
$iExtended = @extended
If IsArray($aResult) Then
    _ArrayDisplay($aResult)
Else
    MsgBox(16, "_AD_GetObjectsInOU", "Result: " & $aResult & @CRLF & "Error: " & $iError & @CRLF & "Extended: " & $iExtended)
EndIf
_AD_Close()

Could you please run this script and post the results?

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Sorry, I had to edit the script (didn't return the correct @error information).

Could you please rerun the script as it is now and just post the result of the second msgbox?

Thanks

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Sh......t! Once again I introduced a bug in this simple script!

I once more edited the script. Could you please rerun it?

_AD_GetObjectsInOU(" ", ..)
had to be changed to
_AD_GetObjectsInOU("", ..)

Edit: Have to leave now for the weekend. I'm sure we will trap down this problem in the next few days :)

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Can I just say thanks for all your time your putting into this.

Can't help - it's my baby :)

@error = 3 means: No records returned from Active Directory. $sAD_Filter didn't return a record

So let's reduce the filter! Could you please try this little test script:

#include <ad.au3>
$iResult = _AD_Open()
$aResult = _AD_GetObjectsInOU("","(mail=*)",2,"samAccountName")
$iError = @error
$iExtended = @extended
If IsArray($aResult) Then
    _ArrayDisplay($aResult)
Else
    MsgBox(16, "_AD_GetObjectsInOU", "Result: " & $aResult & @CRLF & "Error: " & $iError & @CRLF & "Extended: " & $iExtended)
EndIf
_AD_Close()
Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki