Default Save Folder

Eambo

Hi again everyone!

Thanks to those who helped me in my other post, I'm making awesome progress. I'm stuck on something that's probably very simple, and I hope someone can help :-)

Let's say for example, I have this:

$FileSaveLocation = FileSaveDialog("Save File", $DefaultFolder & $DownloadLine, "All (*.*)")

To further this example:

$DefaultFolder = C:\Program Files\

$DownloadLine = DownloadFolder

So essentially the above should default to C:\Program Files\DownloadFolder.

This doesn't seem to be working so well for me. Have I done something very silly? Any advice or criticism is welcome! :-)

Hi again everyone!

Thanks to those who helped me in my other post, I'm making awesome progress. I'm stuck on something that's probably very simple, and I hope someone can help :-)

Let's say for example, I have this:

$FileSaveLocation = FileSaveDialog("Save File", $DefaultFolder & $DownloadLine, "All (*.*)")

To further this example:

$DefaultFolder = C:\Program Files\

$DownloadLine = DownloadFolder

So essentially the above should default to C:\Program Files\DownloadFolder.

This doesn't seem to be working so well for me. Have I done something very silly? Any advice or criticism is welcome! :-)

$DefaultFolder = "C:\Program Files\"

$DownloadLine = "DownloadFolder"

now it'd work :x

EDIT: to check if you've declared something correctly, use a msgbox

$DefaultFolder = "C:\Program Files\"
$DownloadLine = "DownloadFolder"

$test = $DefaultFolder $ $DownloadLine
msgbox(0,"",$test)

and see what pops up ^.^

Edited by ReaImDown
[u][font="Century Gothic"]~я α и d γ ĵ . ċ . ѕ қ ϊ и и ε я~- My Programs -auto shutdownSleep funcdisallow programs[/font][/u]

I'm actually slightly confused.

It's popping up the SaveFileDialog. If I press cancel, it downloads the file to the correct directory. I guess a nasty little workaround would be...

Is there a way I can automate the 'cancel' pressing before the user gets a change to change the default file directory? :-)

I need to do a bit more testing, but from what I can see this is happening O.O

Edit: Nevermind, I take it back. It's making a file, however there's nothing in it O.o

So what I'm experiencing right now is that for some reason it's defaulting to what seems to be the @ScriptDir. There's definitely a trailing backslash in there, so I don't know why it's doing that...

Edited by Eambo

Okay, I'm messing with my code and need to stop it :-)

Essentially I've got this:

- An Error Log

- Code that extracts this error log

- The error log then points to a website to download a replacement file

So here's an example:

[ERROR] C:\Program Files\Files\Broken.reg

This then gets converted to a web address as follows:

www.downloadfix.com/Files/Broken.reg

So we'll say my default folder is 'Files'. I'm running my script from there. What I want the script to do is to pre-populate the download so they literally only have to press save. So it should be saving as "Broken.reg" in the /Files folder.

I have this code:

$DefaultFolder=@ScriptDir

$DownloadFolder = $DefaultFolder & "\" & $DownloadLine

$DownloadLine = the extracted error message.

From what I can see it should be working, I've got a msgbox that shows it as C:\Program Files\Files\Broken.reg

But when it gets to the 'save' prompt, it's in the @ScriptDir, and the text box for save is blank. Which means the user would have to manually navigate to the folder to save it.

I either want this prepopulated, or I simply want it to download - no prompt. Is there a way to do either of these?

Thanks everyone for your help :-)

Do you mean that the default file name should (broken.reg) should be in the text box?

Or should C:\Program Files\Files\Broken.reg be in the text box?

On that note, in your line you never specified a default file name. You did not have enough options listed to set the default name. It should have something like this

$FileSaveLocation = FileSaveDialog("Save File", $DefaultFolder & $DownloadLine, "All (*.*)", 16, $DownloadLine)
That would give the user a prompt like in the attached picture.

Also, if the directory that you have for initial directory does not exist BEFORE the FileSaveDialog() function, the @ScriptDir will be the initial folder that is selected. So make sure that "C:\Program Files\Files" exists before using that function.

post-8593-0-33579500-1295487840_thumb.pn

Edited by Varian

Hardcoding "C:\Program Files\" is bad. What if the user is on a x64 OS? What if they don't have a English Windows? (Program Files is localized)

Use @ProgramFilesDir or something instead.

Hardcoding "C:\Program Files\" is bad. What if the user is on a x64 OS? What if they don't have a English Windows? (Program Files is localized)

Use @ProgramFilesDir or something instead.

Sorry Admiral, this was more of a generic example, it's not actually what I'm programming :-) I'm using @ScriptDir and working from there :-)