Looking for a Form Style suggestion

everseeker

OK, I had a bunch of QTP test scripts that I needed to fire off... I needed to allow the user to choose which ones to actually run, and how many iterations of each that to run.

All the coding is done, and it works well...

But here's the problem... there were 87 test cases, spread over 10 catagories.

So, used the GUI tool to design a 10 tab app with all the tests spread as required among them... Checkbox to select, number spinner to select iterations... nice

Problem solved

but

Turns out that this tool will need to be modified every Sprint(2 weeks)... adding/deleting tests, bumping up to over 150 tests sometimes, and down to 30ish other times

PLUS... I will not be the coder... that task will move down the foodchain

So, I have a problem... Modifying the code THAT extensivly is not a good option, especially for a "newbie"

I have an alternative idea... a simpler GUI with say... 10 dropdowns, each matched to a spinner...

User can select any test from the dropdown, and spin to the number of iterations...

downside: a user can only select up to 10 tests at a time

Upside - to change the app, all I need to do is change the array that the dropdown is filled from (I would have to get creative with the calling routines, but heck... I am a big boy.... if I do it right, the array will have all I need to do the calling)

Here is my question... Is there a better way?

Everseeker

I have never skinned a cat, so not so sure this will help you, but could you not use an INI file and just let the 'newbie' add keys and/or values to update the dropdown list via array?

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

"Everybody catches up with everyone, eventually" 

"As you teach others, you are really teaching yourself."

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

AutoIt Snippets | Multple Guis | Interrupting a running function | Another Send

StringRegExp | StringRegExp Help | RegEXTester | REG TUTOR | Reg TUTOT 2

AutoItSetOption | Macros | AutoIt Snippets | Wrapper | Autoit  Docs

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

Replace $ghGDIPDll with $__g_hGDIPDll

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

Yes, but I am actually asking about something more... fundamental...

Is there a better way to ask for the input...

A good way to allow a user to select x copies of y entries, in Z order...

PS: "There is more then 1 way to skin a cat" is an americanism for ... there are many ways to do something, while accomplishing the same goal.

Edited by everseeker

Everseeker