_Startup() - Create Startup entries in the Startup Folder or Registry.

guinness

Take your time as I'll be doing this on the weekend.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Well slightly less useful, I have a .bat file that will write to the registry for RunOnceEx. Sorry thought I had autoit code. Hopefully this is still useful, if you run this file you can see exactly how RunOnceEx looks in your registry.

I used start instead of run in the last statement so that it wouldn't wait for the exe to finish before proceeding, but this will give you an example of 2 programs running with RunOnceEx

Here are some other examples of RunOnceEx syntax -

http://robhaupt.blogspot.com/2008/07/using-runonceex.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/232509

The flag values are in the support.microsoft link. When I have time I'll work on coding up some functions or examples in autoit. Thank you for considering this addition. Having it wrapped up in a nice, easy to use UDF would be pretty cool.

PS You have to rename the .txt file extension to .bat, I can't upload a bat file.

Reg.txt

While ProcessExists('Andrews bad day.exe')
	BlockInput(1)
	SoundPlay('Music.wav')
	SoundSetWaveVolume('Louder')
WEnd

Thanks, I'll look at it over the weekend.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

I've updated the _Startup UDF with the suggestion provided by somone as well as improving the code too.

- ADDED: RunOnceEx (suggested by someone) which can be used by changing the $iRunOnce parameter to 2.

- ADDED: Commandline parameter(s) option to _StartupRegistry_Install. This is a script breaking change, so please check your _StartupRegistry_Install syntax.

UDF List:

I know there are advanced "features" when using RunOnceEx but this would be best suited in a separate UDF, which I will be working on soon.

UDF List:

• 3 weeks later...

This is a question which gets asked quite a bit >> How to add my program to the Startup Folder? Or How can I make my program run when the PC starts? So for those who want to call a simple Function e.g. _StartupFolder_Install() this UDF is for you.

Thank you for your contribution...

I have one more question regarding this.

I pride myself of doing programs that require no installation at all. As such, I have no idea where my .exe ends up on people's computers.

This makes it hard for me to make a shortcut in the Startup folder.

Is there any way (without doing a search) to find out, where the current .exe (process) is running from? So that I can use this path to make my Startup link ?

Any help would be appreciated, I really to avoid using Installers.

Thank you for your contribution...

I have one more question regarding this.

I pride myself of doing programs that require no installation at all. As such, I have no idea where my .exe ends up on people's computers.

This makes it hard for me to make a shortcut in the Startup folder.

Is there any way (without doing a search) to find out, where the current .exe (process) is running from? So that I can use this path to make my Startup link ?

Any help would be appreciated, I really to avoid using Installers.

Sorry, I found the answer myself... using the search function (extensively I might add) and other websites with reference to API calls this is my solution:

#Include <WinAPIEx.au3>
Opt('MustDeclareVars', 1)
Global $ID = ProcessExists('my_process.exe')
If $ID Then
Local $bla = _WinAPI_GetProcessFileName($ID)
msgbox( 1, "", $bla )
EndIf

I'm glad. Also you could've written the filepath to the registry and then use RegRead to find the path.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

• 4 weeks later...

Nice

Thank you. Of course it can be reduced to what you posted but this covers all bases.

UDF List:

• 6 months later...

I've updated the syntax of the UDF and fixed a bug when checking whether or not an entry existed (though not critical.) Please see the original post for more details. Additionally the Default keyword is now supported. Thanks.

UDF List:

• 2 months later...

How to add my program to the Startup Folder? Or How can I make my program run when the PC starts? So for those who want to call a simple Function e.g. _StartupFolder_Install() this UDF is for you.

Why should I use this UDF instead of the following shorter codes?

;Startup folder:
FileCreateShortcut(@ScriptFullPath, @StartupDir & "\something.lnk", @ScriptDir, "", "", "", "")

;Registry:
$REG = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
$RegWrite = RegWrite($REG, "Something", "REG_SZ", @ScriptFullPath)

1. You assume everyone has an understanding of how the registry and startup folders work. Not everyone does.

2. You don't allow for error checking.

3. That code is only for the current user and doesn't provide the option to install on the local machine.

4. There is no option to uninstall.

5. You are welcome to do what you want, but others including myself would rather call a simple function than having to work out what goes where.

UDF List:

Why should I use this UDF instead of the following shorter codes?

;Startup folder:
FileCreateShortcut(@ScriptFullPath, @StartupDir & "\something.lnk", @ScriptDir, "", "", "", "")

;Registry:

Also I'm not making you use this UDF, it's at your discretion whether or not you use it. Just thought I would clear that up.

UDF List:

Hey guinness. The _StartupRegistry_Uninstall() is not working for me.

Its supposed to remove the entry from the registry, right?

Correct. Could you provide more details please e.g. system, AutoIt version etc.

UDF List:

Hey guinness. The _StartupRegistry_Uninstall() is not working for me.

Its supposed to remove the entry from the registry, right?

Fixed. See the first post.

UDF List:

On 12/30/2012 at 0:52 AM, 'guinness said:

1. You assume everyone has an understanding of how the registry and startup folders work. Not everyone does.

I agree with you for registry. Maybe for startup folder that line of code (+ error checking) is all we need, don't you think?

3. That code is only for the current user and doesn't provide the option to install on the local machine.

Right. Fixed (automatic way, is just a sample):

;Registry:
If IsAdmin() Then
    $REG = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
Else
EndIf

5. You are welcome to do what you want, but others including myself would rather call a simple function than having to work out what goes where.

I suggest to you use Autoruns (refresh, search and delete) while playing with startup.

Edited by masvil