PC Info with some extra stuff

byteme

Hi everybody. I was just working on a little "help desk" program. I know a lot of people make these all the time, but I wanted to try my luck at one, but give it a couple extra features. If anybody else has done one like this, let me know. I would love to see how somebody else did it. I do have to admit right off that I did get some ideas from a couple other users here on the forum, and if I could remember who they were, I would definately give them the proper thank you's. I created this program at first just to display pc info to a regular user so that when they had pc problems, it was easy to get their pc name\ip address. That in turn grew to wanting to be able to easily get remote access to their pc (which is one of the ideas I got from one of you!). Using winvnc in listen mode on my pc,

I can have the user type in my computer name and get instant access to their pc. This is very useful when you have users who find it hard to follow directions! I have a built in updater where the program goes to a network share, if there is a file called update.exe, it will run it. The update.exe file looks on the pc to see if it has been run before or not. If it has been run, it ends. If it hasn't been run, it runs the update. Finally, I have another button that asks a series of questions, compiling the answers into a .vbs file which at the end gets pumped into a database. This was a great idea from an autoit user that I would love to thank if I could find who made that script! It really helped a lot. Anyway, if you put the connect.ini, img123.jpg (or whatever picture you want!), vnchooks.dll, and winvnc.exe into a folder called c:\pcinfo, you should be able to compile this program without a problem. You will, of course, have to change a few lines to point to your server\share. You also have to edit the connect.ini file to point to server\share where you are storing the database itself before you compile the script. I have included a database.mdb file also. This is kind of a dummy file,

since I really have no clue about Access, but it does the job. I'm sure any of you could make that a lot better. I was going to add fields on the "backend" of the database to assign the tasks to users, only show open calls if wanted, etc.

but don't have time or know how right now. I will keep trying though! I hope this will come in handy for at least one person. I also hope you send comments\questions\suggestions. I'm sure a few of you will look at this script and wonder why I did things the way I did. I'm sure there is a way to make that script half the size, but I am still learning Auto-it (which is the best program ever!). Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give me.

Byteme

p.s.- i have attached the script files, but I am unable to attach the other files needed. if anybody wants them, please let me know how I can post them! I do have them zipped into one file, but I know people are usually leary of downloading zips from unknown people.

pcinfo.au3

update.au3

files_needed.zip

thank you. i'm sure there was a more simple way to set this up, but that is the way I had to do it here at work. hopefully it will do somebody some good. i did change a few lines in the script so that if somebody closes one of the windows asking what kind of problem they are having, it doesn't just exit the loop and continue, it just exits....i just changed the lines from exitloop to exit...that works a lot better..thank you again for replying to this. it's my first "big" script.

Byteme

Errors on remote access control...might want to change @SystemDir to @ScriptDir

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what kind of error did you get when you ran this? I have it running on about 4,000 pc's and haven't had that problem yet. I just hope I don't have it. I can easily change it to what you suggested, I just wanted to see what error you received. Do you have admin rights on the pc? Thanks!

thank you for the nice words everybody.

-busysignal-- where you able to get it working?

thanks again!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bytme, fix the problem. My oversite of not modifing the {.INI} file and setting the path for the {database.mdb}.

Cheers.. :)

Script looks great. I'll have to use it to learn more about creating GUIs. Well done.

Jeff

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thank you Jeff. I do have to give credit to CyberSlug though. I was totally lost in the whole creating the gui thing, but using his AutoBuilder makes it much easier to learn. Now I can do them on my own, but if it wasn't for CyberSlug, I would still be pulling my hair out learning it. Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

byteme, fantastic code.

I am going to use this on my network if you don't mind.

What-and if its not to much trouble, where are the perameters and things I need to change to make this script work perfectly-where do the files go that you supplied? If I can figure that out I'll make an installer-you'll get full credit for this thing.

Again, great job!

Thanks,

brandonm

• 2 weeks later...

byteme, fantastic code.

I am going to use this on my network if you don't mind.

What-and if its not to much trouble, where are the perameters and things I need to change to make this script work perfectly-where do the files go that you supplied? If I can figure that out I'll make an installer-you'll get full credit for this thing.

Again, great job!

Thanks,

brandonm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for the kind words brandonm. I haven't checked this post in quite a while. did you still need help getting the files where you need them, or are you all set with this? (or give up on it??)