Need to count number of files in a folder

OldMike

New to AutoIT, fairly experienced with VB Script. I need to simnply count the number of files in a folder. Found some references to {FileListToArray}, but it is not in the on line documentation of functions.

Mike

Looks like posted to wrong area. I would delete if I could see how.

Edited by OldMike

check FileFindFirstFile in the help file

; Shows the filenames of all files in the current directory
$path = @ScriptDir
$search = FileFindFirstFile(@ScriptDir&"\*.*")  

; Check if the search was successful
If $search = -1 Then
    MsgBox(0, "Error", "No files/directories matched the search pattern")
    Exit
EndIf

Local $Count=0
While 1
    $file = FileFindNextFile($search) 
    If @error Then ExitLoop
    $Count+=1
WEnd

; Close the search handle
FileClose($search)
MsgBox(0,'Number of files',$Count)
Edited by ivan

Does anybody around here know how to read anymore.

TOP OF EVERY EXAMPLE SCIPTS PAGE

This is not a general support forum!

Which links to here

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=rules&f=9

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

• 4 years later...

;~ May be this will help

MsgBox(0,'',GetFileCount(@ScriptDir,"pdf",true))
MsgBox(0,'',GetSubTreeFileCount_ByWildCard(@ScriptDir,"*.pdf",true))

Func GetFileCount($path,$ext, $Recurcive=False)
 Local $Count=0

Local $objFSO= ObjCreate("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
;~ Count files in current folder
 For $objFSO_File in  $objFSO.GetFolder($path).Files
  if $objFSO.GetExtensionName($objFSO_File.Name) = $ext then $Count += 1
 Next
;~ Recursive all subfolders
 if $Recurcive then
  For $objFSO_SubFolder in  $objFSO.GetFolder($path).Subfolders
   $Count += GetFileCount($objFSO_SubFolder.Path,$ext,$Recurcive)
  Next
 EndIf
 Return $Count
EndFunc

Func GetSubTreeFileCount_ByWildCard($path,$WildCard="*.*",$Recurcive=False)
 Local $Count=0
;~ Count files in current folder
 $search = FileFindFirstFile($path & "\" & $WildCard)
 If $search <> -1 Then
  While 1
   $file = FileFindNextFile($search)
   If @error Then ExitLoop
   $Count+=1
  WEnd
 EndIf
 FileClose($search)
;~ Recursive all subfolders
 if $Recurcive then
  Local $objFSO= ObjCreate("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
  Local $objFSO_Folder  = $objFSO.GetFolder($path)
  Local $colFSO_SubFolders  = $objFSO.GetFolder($path).Subfolders
  For $objFSO_File in  $colFSO_SubFolders
   $Count += GetSubTreeFileCount_ByWildCard($objFSO_File.Path,$WildCard,$Recurcive)
  Next
 EndIf
 Return $Count
EndFunc

• Moderators

sdaskalov,

There has been a recursive file search in the standard UDFs for a number of years - please check the Help file.

M23

Edit: And now I see you have posted the same script in another necroed thread - please do not post it in any more.

Edited by Melba23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Necropost.png

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Hi.

This will give you a start:

$MyRoot="C:\windows\" ; trailing backslash

$filecount=0
$dircount=0
SearchFileTree($MyRoot)

MsgBox(64,"Done","Content of folder '" & $MyRoot & "':" & @CRLF & _
$filecount & " files in " & $dircount & " folders.")

Func SearchFileTree($_root)
    Local $search=FileFindFirstFile($_root & "*.*")
    if $search = -1 then Return ; nothing at all

while 1
        $next=FileFindNextFile($search)
        $err=@error
        $ext=@extended
        if $err then ; this folder is done, no more entries
            FileClose($search)
            Return
        EndIf

if $ext Then ; this is a folder: Loop in!
            $dircount+=1
            SearchFileTree($_root & $next & "\" ) ; trailing backslash
        Else ; this is a file
            $filecount+=1
        EndIf
    WEnd
EndFunc

Regards, Rudi.

Earth is flat, pigs can fly, and Nuclear Power is SAFE!

It's like you didn't read the posts before yours @rudi.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

• Moderators

I despair at times...

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

@guinness

Of course I did read the previous posts. What I tried to post is a well structured, appropriate "autoit code coloured" example. Just showing the minimum amount of lines.

It's amazing to see, that you seem take this as an insult? This was neither my intention, nor would I ever expect, that a developer could react this way.

Sorry for any emotional inconvinience ;-)

regards, Rudi.

Earth is flat, pigs can fly, and Nuclear Power is SAFE!

@rudi, that's great. Now if I could only understand what you're talking about?

Edit: I should clarify. I know exactly what you're talking about (as I have a good memory), despite posting in an old topic that has no reference of me ever being here. But the fact remains you felt compelled to post "well structured" code in an old topic, when a moderator (@Melba23) had already told the poster that such functionality existed in the UDFs already.

Edited by guinness
Calrifying

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

• Moderators

rudi,

If a thread is locked it is really not a good idea to continue the discussions by posting in an entirely unrelated thread. Fortunately my memory is as good a guinness' and so I have moved the offending posts to the correct thread.

If you have any further comments just use a PM.

M23

Spoiler