Help Request - ASUS EEE recovery.exe workaround

I'm using a precompiled Autoit 3 script to rebuild a friend's Asus EEE computer.

Unfortunately, the script in the recovery partition as rebuilt by the recovery DVD has a bug, complaining about an undeclared variable "lang"

Having read the FAQ, I understand that I can't decompile the script. Is there any way to declare the variable from the command line or the environment?

I've already tried "SET lang=en" in the CMD command window before running the script/program to add it to the environment. That didn't work.

If I'm out of luck here, I'll have to chase down Asus support, which will be tricky as I'm not the owner, and the serial number/Windows key sticker on the bottom of the machine is illegible.

(Note, I am *not* asking for Asus support, because this obviously isn't the place to do so.)

Thanks

I'm using a precompiled Autoit 3 script to rebuild a friend's Asus EEE computer.

Unfortunately, the script in the recovery partition as rebuilt by the recovery DVD has a bug, complaining about an undeclared variable "lang"

Having read the FAQ, I understand that I can't decompile the script. Is there any way to declare the variable from the command line or the environment?

I've already tried "SET lang=en" in the CMD command window before running the script/program to add it to the environment. That didn't work.

If I'm out of luck here, I'll have to chase down Asus support, which will be tricky as I'm not the owner, and the serial number/Windows key sticker on the bottom of the machine is illegible.

(Note, I am *not* asking for Asus support, because this obviously isn't the place to do so.)

Thanks

That sound's Like a bastardly error doesn't it?

Do you have the name of the AutoIt executable? maybe a search for the source will bring up the original script...

That error could be due to a missing file which lead's to the unregistered variable, Obviously the script's creator didn't include a work around in case the variable couldn't find a file or the information etc.

Other than that, you're out of luck :)

And as for the unreadable serial, they do those thing intentionally since it makes money.

Those stickers are meant to last a very short amount of time, thats why it's always in a very exposed area where it is most likely to fade and get scratched, cause the more people lose their serials, the more cash they make.

That's why I use maverick with virtual box on my netbook. acer d250.

Or just go to thepiratebay.org and download an infected ISO that'l turn you'r PC into a bot and enter the botnet.

Edited by System238

• 3 weeks later...

That sound's Like a bastardly error doesn't it?

Do you have the name of the AutoIt executable? maybe a search for the source will bring up the original script...

"Recovery.exe" Nicely generic, wouldn't you say?

That error could be due to a missing file which lead's to the unregistered variable, Obviously the script's creator didn't include a work around in case the variable couldn't find a file or the information etc.

Other than that, you're out of luck :)

Yes, yes I am. (See below)

And as for the unreadable serial, they do those thing intentionally since it makes money.

Those stickers are meant to last a very short amount of time, thats why it's always in a very exposed area where it is most likely to fade and get scratched, cause the more people lose their serials, the more cash they make.

That's why I use maverick with virtual box on my netbook. acer d250.

Or just go to thepiratebay.org and download an infected ISO that'l turn you'r PC into a bot and enter the botnet.

Me, we are cynical, aren't we? (Thats 'we' as in you and me. I attribute it to stupidity rather than malice for the most part, but I wouldn't be surprised either way.)

I did eventually dig into the situation deeply enough to figure out what was going on.

The DVD had been rather mistreated, and was starting to decay, leading to an unreadable GHO file.

The script did not in fact handle that well.

I had my friend request a new recovery DVD for which they asked the princely sum of US$50. Rather than purchase a competitor's machine, he submitted to the minor extortion, and the DVD is on its way.

Consider the thread closed. Thanks for the reply.