System modal msgbox title truncated.

Exit

When running this small script, the title is right truncated on the second msgbox call.

$title = "Title will be trimmed on right when system modal icon appears"
$text= "Watch the title line"
MsgBox(0, $title,$text)
MsgBox(4096, $title,$text)

Bug or feature?

Edited by forumer100

App: Au3toCmd              UDF: _SingleScript()                             

What do you mean by "truncated"? The only visual difference seems to be the icon.

Edit: I can't read the full title on either if that's what you mean.

Too much text, or too small MsgBox, you decide.

Edited by AdmiralAlkex

The attached image will explain it.

$text= "Watch the title line"
$title = "Title will be trimmed on right when system modal icon appears"
MsgBox(0, $title,$text)
$title = "Title trimmed when system modal icon appears"
MsgBox(0, $title,$text)

post-45639-0-34134400-1297026939_thumb.j

Maybe offtopic but have a look here >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/sfw6660x(v=vs.85).aspx it appears the maximum length is 1024 characters.

My advice would be use GUICreate()!

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

@forumer100

It is not that simple, on my system none are fully visible. There are too many stuff involved to just talk about modal.

Posted Image

If you want the Msgox() to be bigger, resize it, add more text or build a gui yourself.

If you insist on a devs word, go make a bug report or something.

@guinness

That is text, not title.

It's not a bug, it is a feature. :)

Text, which is too long to display it in the windows (MsgBox) title, will be truncated with ...

Whereas it depends on the individual windows settings when exactly the text gets truncated.

Further Windows width depends on the text not the title but the width of windows is limited in width and height.

Br,

UEZ

Edited by UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

Therefore I used two titles with different length to show that it does not depend on the length of the title.

The title in call 3 and 4 is much less than in call 1 and 2, but the behavior is the same: System modal msgbox strips some char from the right side and places "..." instead.

It seems, that the length of the box is calculated without the space of the icon.

There should be some additional length added when an icon is used.

I know, how to circumvent it, but I think it is a bug.

But before reporting it in the bug-tracker, I wanted to get the opinions of the community.

If you consider this behavior to be a bug, then you need to report it to Microsoft as all application the use the standard windows message box behave like this. It is not an bug in AutoIt.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

• 5 months later...

Just add a bunch of blank spaces and a period to the text and the title will not truncate.

$text= "Watch the title line                                                                                                                 ."
$title = "Title will NOT be trimmed on right when system modal icon appears"
MsgBox(0, $title,$text)
$title = "Title NOT trimmed when system modal icon appears"
MsgBox(0, $title,$text)