How to disable "bonk" on mouse click?

qwert

I'm using GUIGetCursorInfo() to read the current mouse coordinates and to determine if the user has the left (primary) button down. The call works great and the returned result is accurate. The problem is that there's an annoying "bonk" sound from Windows every time the left mouse button is clicked.

I haven't worked much with the cursor controls, so I ask: What is Windows indicating with the "bonk"? How can I disable it? It's certainly annoying. BTW, there are no buttons or entry fields defined for this particular GUI. It's only a splash screen that the user clicks on to dismiss.

Thanks for any help.

Open google and find instructions how to disable windows sounds and the system speaker.

Issue was solved by turning Windows sounds off.

Thanks for the suggestions ... but turning Windows sounds off seems a little drastic. I never thought to resort to that ... for two reasons:

First, users of my scripts might have other things going on ... like listening to 'net radio or viewing a video on a second monitor. They won't appreciate it if my little script disrupts their world.

Secondly, my other scripts don't suffer from the "bonk". But, as I said, they have edit controls. Windows is somehow aware of the difference.

Surely there's a true solution to this. I'll continue to experiment and will post my results. But if anyone knows the answer, please chime in.

Thanks, again.

You are confusing two things: Windows sounds is the collection of sounds that Windows plays when certain UI interaction happens. It is not the master sound level of the operating system that controls the volume of everything. What you are seeing hearing is by design: Windows always lets users hear a bonk if they do something that they're not supposed to (like click on an empty part of GUI) as a audible reminder that they have to click on the actual button as opposed to them being confused why it doesn't work.

If you personally do not like the bonk, that doesn't mean your users don't like it. Therefore the option is not application specific, but it is user specific. If you don't like the bonk on your computer, then you should disable the option to let an audible bonk be heard when you misclick.

Edited by Manadar

Sound reasoning. (the pun is unintentional) But in my instance, the user's click is a normal, expected action -- so, "... if they do something that they're not supposed to ..." doesn't apply. Somehow, I've got to get Windows to recognize their click as normal. Again in my case, this is a result of how I've implemented the feature, so it can't be left to the user to decide if they should disable it. At the least, a bonk at that point will annoy most people. I haven't had time to get back to working on this, but I'm hoping that I can add an invisible edit control to placate the OS.

Thanks for filling in the higher perspective.