Read line GUICtrlCreateEdit

blumi

I have a GUI with a GUICtrlCreateEdit Box.

There I want to insert a String (copy paste) and edit the string when I click on a button.

The strings consits of some lines.

To edit the String I want to read it line for line.

I can't find a function like readline or similar. (cause I don't know the name)

How to realize this?

• Moderators

blumi,

Use GUICtrlRead to get the contents of the Edit and then StringSplit to break it into lines. ;)

If your Edit wordwraps we might have to get more complicated and use ControlCommand, but try the above first. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

• 4 years later...

Hi Guys,

I know that this is a horribly old thread and I'm not attempting to revive it, but I ran across it while attempting to solve the same problem. I guess I will add my response in the event that someone else needs help with the same issue. Basically, I made an edit box that a user can add text into. At which point, after pressing the button; the program will format each line. I attempted to use the SplitString command, but found that it was difficult to separate the lines if the text had no clear delimiters.  ( Please keep in mind that I am newish to programming and very new to Autoit. There may be some elegant way of accomplishing this task.) Here is how I accomplished the task (pseudo-code):

Func LineReadGuiCtrlEdit:

$mainGuiEdit  ; this will represent the variable used to create the edit box

$inputString = guictrlread($mainGuiEdit)  ; note that if the user entered 5 lines of text, they will be passed to the variable with the line breaks included

$outString = " "  ; this string will hold the formatted output data

Create a temp text file

Open temp text file

filewrite(temptTextFile, $inputString ) ; writes the data from the  edit box into the temp file

$fileArray = FileReadToArray(tempTextFile) ; reads the text placed into the

For $i = 0  to UBound($fileArray) ; this loop will iterate through each element of the array

IF    $i < UBound($fileArray) Then  ;only execute the following commands as long as you are within bounds of the array

IF  $fileArray [$i] =  "Some condition" Then

$outString &= manipulate the line in the current array element

End if

EndIF

$outString  &= @CRLF ;  In my program I used this in order to keep the original line structure entered by the user. You many not want to however.

next  ; indicates the end of the for loop

return $outString ; you can now use the output of the function and place it in a msgbox or perhaps into a permanent file etc....

EndFunc

Addendum: Since each element of the array is an individual line of text from the edit box. I don't have to worry about figuring out what would make an appropriate delimiter.  If there is a more elegant way of doing this with the SplitString command, I would like to know it for my own edification! Thanks!

Hi, welcome to the forum
you don't need to open an old thread like this, just create a new post then reference the old post, also use the <> to post code

you could use a unicode chr to split the items i guess, like example below

#include <Array.au3>
FileWrite('test.txt',"somedata"&chrw(65000))
FileWrite('test.txt',"somedata line1"&@lf&'somedataline2'&chrw(65000))
FileWrite('test.txt',"somedata with line breaks line1"&@crlf&"line2"&@crlf&'line 3'&chrw(65000))
FileWrite('test.txt',"somedata with line breaks line1"&@crlf&"line2"&@crlf&'line 3'&chrw(65000))
$text = FileRead("test.txt")
$text = StringSplit ($text,chrw(65000))
for $x=0 to $text[0]
    ConsoleWrite($text[$x]&@crlf&@crlf)
Next
_ArrayDisplay($text)
;FileDelete('test.txt')

Edited by jvds