StringRegExp - again

$x = "*abc,def,mno,ghi" & @CRLF & "*jkl,mno" & @CRLF & "def" & @CRLF & "def" & @CRLF & "ghi" & @CRLF & "mno"

I would like a pattern to pick up the string between a "*" and the next "@CRLF"

I have tried very hard and got no where. :

There is no point me posting code that I have because - it does not work.

Can anyone help.

I could write some code to play around with the string and get my script to work - but I would really like to get to know how StringRegExp work :(

@Nutster

StringRegExp is something I would like to use more of. I have used it in one script where I was able to copy someone elses pattern file and modify it sligtly - but trying to create one from scatch has beaten me.

I thing one of the problems is that the help file is abit thin on the process of creating a pattern string.

Is it possible to write up a few examples to show how parts are joined together, when you use brackets and when you don't - perhaps examples of good practice and examples where it just works.

From your contibutions on the forum - I know you are busy - but this function (if we understood it !!) would be far more widely used. In the script I was able to get it to work in - it was brilliant - I would like to use it more often - but - I think I need a few pointers. :(

Thanks.

w0uter,

Thankyou for yor reply :(

I tried -

$x = "*abc,def,mno,ghi" & @CRLF & "*jkl,mno" & @CRLF & "def" & @CRLF & "def" & @CRLF & "ghi" & @CRLF & "mno"
$pattern = "\*(*.?)" & @CRLF
$y = StringRegExp($x,$pattern,1)
MsgBox(0,"",@error  & @CRLF & @extended  & @CRLF & $y)

..and many variations of the pattern - but still no luck. :(

StringRegExp is above my level but........... this may help

#include <GUIConstants.au3>

;$x = "*abc,def,mno,ghi" & @CRLF & "*jkl,mno" & @CRLF & "def" & @CRLF & "def" & @CRLF & "ghi" & @CRLF & "mno"

;your pattern as stated would return this

;$x1 = *abc,def,mno,ghi" & 

;$x2 = *jkl,mno" & 

; the rest would not show as there are no more accurances with an "*"

;so, if you use a similar "@" for the begining and ending of the patern, you could use this

$x = "abc,def,mno,ghi" & @CRLF & "jkl,mno" & @CRLF & "def" & @CRLF & "def" & @CRLF & "ghi" & @CRLF & "mno"

$x1 = StringSplit( $x, "@") 

For $disp = 1 to $x1[0]

MsgBox(0,"Results", $x1[$disp])

Next

; >>>>>>>>> or

$x = "abc,def,mno,ghi" & @CRLF & "jkl,mno" & @CRLF & "def" & @CRLF & "def" & @CRLF & "ghi" & @CRLF & "mno"

$x1 = StringSplit( $x, "o") 

For $disp = 1 to $x1[0]

MsgBox(0,"Results", $x1[$disp])

Next

i think the out-come was what you wanted

enjoy!

8)

NEWHeader1.png

@Valuater

Thankyou for the reply.

I posted the last code because it did not work - but after your comments I thought that it must be me that was the problem and not the script.

After - a little bit more playing (well - quite a lot really!!) I made a slight alteration to $pattern

$pattern = "\*(.*?)" & @CRLF
$y = StringRegExp($x,$pattern,3)
MsgBox(0,"",@error  & @CRLF & @extended  & @CRLF & $y[0]& @CRLF & UBound($y))

This will now pick up the first set of letters OK ie "abc,def,mno,ghi"

but it does not pick up the second set ie "jkl,mno"

Any thoughts.

Thanks

$pattern = "\*(.*?)\s"
For $i = 0 to Ubound($y)-1
    MsgBox(0,"",@error  & @CRLF & @extended  & @CRLF & $y[$i]& @CRLF & $i)
Next

My UDF's:;mem stuff_Mem;ftp stuff_FTP ( OLD );inet stuff_INetGetSource ( OLD )_INetGetImage _INetBrowse ( Collection )_EncodeUrl_NetStat_Google;random stuff_iPixelSearch_DiceRoll

Actually w0uter, you should use \n instead of \s.

\n matches new lines and carriage returns

\s matches whitespace

$pattern = "\*(.*?)\n"
For $i = 0 to Ubound($y)-1
    MsgBox(0,"",@error  & @CRLF & @extended  & @CRLF & $y[$i]& @CRLF & $i)
Next

And there you have it.

*Edit: This page provides some good information/examples on using regular expressions. The syntax may not match AutoIt's exactly, but it should be similar enough for you to get a good idea of how to use it.

Edited by Saunders

Actually w0uter, you should use \n instead of \s.

\n matches new lines and carriage returns

\s matches whitespace

yeah i should actually but \s works fine for this ex.

\s Match any whitespace character: Chr(9) through Chr(13) which are Horizontal Tab, Line Feed, Vertical Tab, Form Feed, and Carriage Return, and the standard space ( Chr(32) ).

Edited by w0uter

My UDF's:;mem stuff_Mem;ftp stuff_FTP ( OLD );inet stuff_INetGetSource ( OLD )_INetGetImage _INetBrowse ( Collection )_EncodeUrl_NetStat_Google;random stuff_iPixelSearch_DiceRoll