camera as device

elwood

i wrote a little autoit script a while ago that would import pictures from a digital camera for our database application. Today most cameras connect as a device (pict-bridge), rather than as a drive and my script does not work anymore. Is there a way to address a device with autoit?

I am really a lay person..... so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by elwood

I finally found my source code....

Basically I would pass the path to the camera (when it used to be just a drive) and the path for the folder in the command line and then just have the images on the camera moved to the specified folder. Now that the cameras appear as a device passing "Computer\DMC-ZS7\Removable storage\DCIM\100_PANA" will not do the trick - I tried the \\ or \ in front of it and also replaced Computer with the actual name of the PC... no luck, I guess i just do not understand enough about it.

Global $cam

Global $folder

$cam = $CmdLine[1]

$site = $CmdLine[2]

If FileExists($cam) Then

MsgBox(64, "", "Camera ready-importing",1)

Else

$wait=0

Do

$return = MsgBox(21,"", "Please connect camera")

If $return == 2 Then

Exit

EndIf

If FileExists($cam) Then

$wait=1

Endif

Until $wait=1

EndIf

FileMove($cam&"\*.*", "C:\db\images\"&$folder)

MsgBox(64,"", "Pictures successfully imported.",3)

Take the card out of the camera and insert via a card-reader. And it's a drive again, so your old script will work! Also, generally you get faster transfers that way.

William

Thanks for the idea - the problem is that this is a 'mobile' application, where inspectors visit up to 50 sites a day - take pictures, import them, fill out the db report and move to the next site - up until now, they could just hook up the cable and fill out the report while the macro imports the pics - this would add to their workload and more importantly (we tried it for a little while), they were burning through SD cards like they were going out of style - guess they are not designed to be inserted and removed 50 times a day.....

I also tried to just have the windows importer import the files to a specific folder and have the db grab it from there - problem with that solution is that you have very little control over it and that it has a mind of its own, resulting in just way too many calls from the field, because the images would not transfer.....

If anybody knows of a import utility that can handle command lines - that would work, too, but I cannot imagine that autoit cannot do this.... i am just too dumb to figure it out....

thanks again

Edited by elwood

This looks VERY interesting!

Does a lot more than you want, and strangely interests me as a photographer!

William

thanks....yes, it looks interesting....i just don't get it... AT ALL.... i get a .dll and a .llb file in their download that's it....No clue what to do with it from there.....

I also looked at roboimport before - it cannot do the 100% hands-off import that I need (yes, my inspectors are THAT inept, unfortunately) and at 30bucks a pop - 150 licenses are out of the question. I do not get any support from "upstairs", since all it does is make the field guys' life 'easier' and they get paid per site.... so whatever I can come up with has to be free, or really really cheap......