Minecraft administration tool: Remote access and backups

jvanegmond

I've written a Minecraft server administration tool. In short, it is:

• A remote interface which can be connected to via telnet
  • A tool to do period backups of the game world (issues a save-all command, waits for it to finish, then does the backup)
  • Open-sourced to allow commercial and non-commercial works. Allows derivative works.

In case you don't know what telnet is: It is the as simple-as-possible method you can connect to a remote server/computer, issue commands and get the results. There is a telnet client by default on pre-Vista computers, for post-Vista you can use this tutorial.

This tool is specifically written with running Bukkit in mind and therefore it is both 100% compatible with the official server AND Bukkit. I run Bukkit in my home setup and I love it. Seeing the healthy community that is Bukkit today, I find it definitely worth to also share this project here.

The project page on Google is: http://code.google.com/p/minecraft-monitor/

The v1.0 version can be downloaded directly from: http://code.google.com/p/minecraft-monitor/downloads/detail?name=minecraft-monitor-v1.0.zip but I recommend going to the project page and clicking the download tab to make sure you always get the latest version.

Instructions

You MUST be running the minecraft_server.jar or a similar server using the console (basically, you should use the "nogui" parameter). It will NOT work with the GUI version.

Instructions:

- Download and extract the archive from the download link above

1. Place minecraftmonitor.exe and minecraftmonitor.ini in the same folder as your minecraft_server.jar

2. Edit minecraftmonitor.ini with a text editor. Use the example values as a guide. Make sure to change the remote password!

3. Start minecraftmonitor.exe as you would normally start your Minecraft server. minecraftmonitor.exe will automatically run your server.

Feedback

Please, give me feedback! I have some things I would like to add some things myself as well so I will definitely be releasing a v1.1. What else happens but what I want in v1.1 will be entirely up to your feedback. Give it a go and post an issue on the project page or leave a reply in this thread.

Edited by Manadar