Wanto to switch to C++

am632

Hi,

I currently make utilities with autoit but id like to start using C++ for lots of differnet reasons.

I could never get my head around anything except autoit but I think its time I tried again.

I know there are literally hundreds of places on the net and books, but if anyone knows just 1 place i can look, which can offer everything i need to learn c++ (like the equivalant to autoit forum) that would be gr8.

Also is the code layout similar to how autoit is? for example when i make a utility id usually start by creating the variables, then the gui, then the functions then the main script. Is this similar to how one would create a program in c++? also what would be a good IDE and compiler? pref a free 1 which I could use to create commercial apps if I wanted?

Thanks for reading.

Aaron

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Code layout is however you want it. C++ is very flexible as long as you do it right.

Yeah, and you can have a car in any color you want, as long as it's black. :)

No but seriously, the code layout may be flexible, but the syntax is way more picky than autoit.

Dont expect c++ can do miracles, imo its waste of time unless you really need it. Autoit has perfect api for handling windows and integrating c into it when its needed. If you really need power or want to go making games then go for c, but ask yourself twice if you want to invest time into it. If you decide to make gui apps with it then you are lucky there is something awesome as QT framework is, so go that road gui/wise

Dont expect c++ can do miracles, imo its waste of time unless you really need it. Autoit has perfect api for handling windows and integrating c into it when its needed. If you really need power or want to go making games then go for c, but ask yourself twice if you want to invest time into it. If you decide to make gui apps with it then you are lucky there is something awesome as QT framework is, so go that road gui/wise

Who are you again?

What?

My question was to emphasize the point... who are you? Why does what you say matter? What's your experience? You say absurd things that people may take to be the voice of experience when those with experience can see that they are not.

Dont expect c++ can do miracles

In the right hands it can. This is a limitation of the programmer, not the language.

imo its waste of time unless you really need it.

I can't argue the wisdom of this sentence. It's kind of like saying "water is wet", though.

Autoit has perfect api for handling windows and integrating c into it when its needed.

No it doesn't. It's a long way from "perfect". It's workable at best.

If you really need power or want to go making games then go for c...

Most games are written in C++. As for power, C++ is at a minimum as powerful as C because C++ is entirely compatible with C. That's before you factor in all the advantages (some semantic, others technical) that C++ offers.

...but ask yourself twice if you want to invest time into it.

The best way to determine if it's worth investing time into is to invest time into it. This isn't something a person is going to spend 200 hours on and decide to quit. They'll know pretty quick if they have what it takes or not.

If you decide to make gui apps with it then you are lucky there is something awesome as QT framework is, so go that road gui/wise

QT? I know of but have never used QT. QT is a cross-platform framework and should be treated as such. Ignoring MFC, ATL and WTL for the sake of another library is a little bit silly, particularly for a new user. It's an irrelevant point anyway since a person who's just learning C++ shouldn't really be doing much Windows programming in the first few months and shouldn't be looking at GUI stuff within the first year.

post #6 should go in the greatest hits

as this thread just got hilarious.

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

Thanks for all the replies and your opinions.

I think i'm going to give visual c++ 2010 express a go. just 1 question tho, if i made an app with it, is it right that its just for educational use (the express 1 i mean) or can u distribute your work?

thanks

Thanks for all the replies and your opinions.

I think i'm going to give visual c++ 2010 express a go. just 1 question tho, if i made an app with it, is it right that its just for educational use (the express 1 i mean) or can u distribute your work?

thanks

There is no such thing, you can develop whatever you want with the Express versions, and distribute them as you please.

Can I use Express Editions for commercial use?

Yes, there are no licensing restrictions for applications built using Visual Studio Express Editions.

http://www.microsoft.com/express/support/support-faq.aspx

Edited by danielkza

My question was to emphasize the point... who are you? Why does what you say matter? What's your experience? You say absurd things that people may take to be the voice of experience when those with experience can see that they are not.

I didn't know we are required to post our experiences before giving someone advice/opinion. I have enough experience to say what i said, not as some but i know what i say and why i say it. Just because you are doing code monkey job in the Autoit team doesnt give you status of all knowing experience guru, y know, you are riding a big ego horse and need to sit down alittle, btw i dont give a rats ass about your avatar title, it makes me laugh actually

In the right hands it can. This is a limitation of the programmer, not the language.

You totally miss the point, i wanted to tell him not to expect the language is something really special. It is awesome for its needs but nothing that does miracles, no language does it.

I can't argue the wisdom of this sentence. It's kind of like saying "water is wet", though.

no its not saying that water is wet, if he doesnt need the power of the language, its waste of time because there are other languages more suitable for his need unless he really needs c++

No it doesn't. It's a long way from "perfect". It's workable at best.

Most games are written in C++. As for power, C++ is at a minimum as powerful as C because C++ is entirely compatible with C. That's before you factor in all the advantages (some semantic, others technical) that C++ offers.

There you go again, yes i meant C++ not C, even monkeys know that but for some reason you gotta grab or little words...

The best way to determine if it's worth investing time into is to invest time into it. This isn't something a person is going to spend 200 hours on and decide to quit. They'll know pretty quick if they have what it takes or not.

Then why did he start this topic?

QT? I know of but have never used QT. QT is a cross-platform framework and should be treated as such. Ignoring MFC, ATL and WTL for the sake of another library is a little bit silly, particularly for a new user. It's an irrelevant point anyway since a person who's just learning C++ shouldn't really be doing much Windows programming in the first few months and shouldn't be looking at GUI stuff within the first year.

Just what the hell are you talking about here i wonder.. lol MFC, please go make this MFC vs Qt point on stackoverflow and get people laugh at you, if you never tried QT then dont compare it to your silly pasta MFC. Just advice incase you are unexperienced and talk about something And then again what is wrong about giving him advice so he knows what is good for making guis? And not touch window programming for the first year? Hahaha, oh lord... then you come here and tell me i talk absurd things... hahahah

QT SUCKS IN MY OPINION

In your opinion which in my opinion sucks.

http://www.google.hr/#hl=hr&source=hp&biw=1916&bih=1043&q=qt+is+awesome&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&fp=4ee279fe98081458

Edited by marko29

marko29, you are an idiot. Let me explain why:

• You don't know how to quote. It amazes me that the forum has this quoting feature which I use to great effect and yet others make a mess of things like you. As a result of your inability to use even the most basic of forum features I'm left to using an unordered list to enumerate the points in which you fail at having intelligence. This being the first entry, obviously.
  • You write in a stream of consciousness style which is incredibly difficult to follow without reading each sentence 2-3 times so we can get a feel for them and insert our own punctuation mentally to allow it to make sense.
  • You went the boring and predictable "you have a big ego" route. You confuse ego with self-awareness of self-knowledge and self-limitations.
  • Followup to the above regarding ego: You're some random person who lacks 7+ years of well known and public trials and tribulations with C++ and yet you think your opinion matters? That takes far more ego than somebody who's has demonstrable proof of their knowledge and experience.
  • You go off on some tangent about my "avatar title". A baseless attack that serves no purpose and serves to give me fodder for ripping you apart.
  • You accuse me of "missing the point" when there is no clear point in your original post. It's just more stream of consciousness style ramblings that show you don't know what you're talking about.
  • As for saying "C" and not "C++", learn to write what you mean to prevent ambiguity. Don't try to pin your inability to communicate on me as if I have some inability to comprehend.
  • Regarding MFC. Your tone and wording implies you think I'm advocating MFC (Why did you latch onto only MFC and not the other two libraries I listed, hmm). I'm not. I don't like MFC nor do I use it. Also, I suggest you learn to comprehend English. I didn't compare the two. I stated that a cross-platform library shouldn't really be used if it's not needed especially for a new user unless they actually need to leverage the cross-platform aspect.
  • Another point about your inability to comprehend what I write. I said don't do much Windows stuff within the first few months and no GUI stuff within the first year. This come from my own experience when I didn't heed my own advice leaving me frustrated when I was incapable of doing certain things due to gaps in my knowledge. What I said was nothing more than "You must first learn to walk before you run".
My advice to you (that you are unlikely to take) is to stop now while you're still a member of this forum. You can find a forum here full of people just like you who think they are the shit. If you'd like to join them we can draw this out where you post a bunch of rubbish and I rip it to shreds and a bunch of people several orders of magnitude smarter than you laugh with me at you until you inevitably receive a brief epithet in the aforementioned sub-forum.

Edit: Quoting the post I'm replying to that's unreadable in case the user tries to make it vanish.

Edited by Valik

marko29, you are an idiot. Let me explain why:

[*]You don't know how to quote. It amazes me that the forum has this quoting feature which I use to great effect and yet others make a mess of things like you. As a result of your inability to use even the most basic of forum features I'm left to using an unordered list to enumerate the points in which you fail at having intelligence.

Oh boy, the first thing he writes is you are an idiot. Well dir sir code monkey from Autoit team, since there is no code monkey job for you to do atm you gotta come rub your ego here once again. Well i have news for you, insulting me just shows me how i touched your little penis ego and how you feel pretty much ripped by everything i said, else you would touch to the point of posts, instead you go on talk about replying in a different way(which is just as readable and more creative) talk about english and all sorts of childish ad hominem attacks.

So i will ask you now, how does it feel when all of that has effect of nothing but a pure shit i saw billion times online, makes me think of you as a complete failure, makes me feel like i shat on you so hard that it is all you can come up with back to me? And still laugh at your stupid avatar and face while scratching my balls while jazz music goes on a radio behind me and i sip some coffey, relaxing for a new day while some clown like yourself thinks he can get anywhere with this?

I tell you it feels awesome.

This being the first entry, obviously.[*]You write in a stream of consciousness style which is incredibly difficult to follow without reading each sentence 2-3 times so we can get a feel for them and insert our own punctuation mentally to allow it to make sense.[*]

Oh mine then it must mean just one thing, you are pretty much to dumb and have reading disability since your childhood, uh i guess that explains why it took you one year before you started with windows programming in c++, i am sorry for your disability

You went the boring and predictable "you have a big ego" route. You confuse ego with self-awareness of self-knowledge and self-limitations.[*]Followup to the above regarding ego: You're some random person who lacks 7+ years of well known and public trials and tribulations with C++ and yet you think your opinion matters? That takes far more ego than somebody who's has demonstrable proof of their knowledge and experience.[*]You go off on some tangent about my "avatar title". A baseless attack that serves no purpose and serves to give me fodder for ripping you apart.[*]You accuse me of "missing the point" when there is no clear point in your original post. It's just more stream of consciousness style ramblings that show you don't know what you're talking about.[*]

Again i am trying to find anything here that would prove me wrong but as expected, nothing but a small penis moderator and code monkey who thinks he is hot shit for being moderator, this is just for a fun of shitting on you anyway so...

What you gonna do, threat me with banning? LoL, what a failure you are, go ahead do it, why are you waiting? If i need this forum i will make another account and ask what i need for my needs, i could give less shit for building a reputation here that requires ass-kissing hierarchy job like some people who also reply in this topic prove. Since they come and ass-kiss they could at least do it to a real dev who is not a code monkey who needed 1 year in c++ to try any gui programming with reading disability and someone who will never be able to do anything more then write a boring code that only code monkeys do...

So while this last time i shat on your avatar, your code monkey title and your face i will ask you to bann me right away, i cant wait to make another account with roboform which takes me 1 minute while i scratch my balls in the same time... Go ahead do it you stupid idiot!