stop program from being run again

How do I stop the program from being run more than once? Like I double clicked it and I thought that it didn't run, so I double clicked it again. I would like the program to not run again.

Sorry for a repeat, but I didn't see anything about this.

RUN . . . Slide . . . TAG . . . Your out . . . PAINTBALL !!!

How do I stop the program from being run more than once? Like I double clicked it and I thought that it didn't run, so I double clicked it again. I would like the program to not run again.

Sorry for a repeat, but I didn't see anything about this.

Look up _Singleton.

Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

Use

#include <Misc.au3>

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Name...........: _Singleton
; Description ...: Enforce a design paradigm where only one instance of the script may be running.
; Syntax.........: _Singleton($sOccurenceName[, $iFlag = 0])
; Parameters ....: $sOccurenceName - String to identify the occurrence of the script.  This string may not contain the \ character unless you are placing the object in a namespace (See Remarks).
;                  $iFlag          - Behavior options.
;                  |0 - Exit the script with the exit code -1 if another instance already exists.
;                  |1 - Return from the function without exiting the script.
;                  |2 - Allow the object to be accessed by anybody in the system. This is useful if specifying a "Global\" object in a multi-user environment.
; Return values .: Success      - The handle to the object used for synchronization (a mutex).
;                  Failure      - 0
; Author ........: Valik
; Modified.......:
; Remarks .......: You can place the object in a namespace by prefixing your object name with either "Global\" or "Local\".  "Global\" objects combined with the flag 2 are useful in multi-user environments.
; Related .......:
; Link ..........:
; Example .......: Yes
; ===============================================================================================================================

Post your code because code says more then your words can. SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y. Use Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1)[topic="84960"]Brett F's Learning To Script with AutoIt V3[/topic][topic="21048"]Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... is now in Session[/topic]Contribution: [topic="87994"]Get SVN Rev Number[/topic], [topic="93527"]Control Handle under mouse[/topic], [topic="91966"]A Presentation using AutoIt[/topic], [topic="112756"]Log ConsoleWrite output in Scite[/topic]

If you don't want to use _singleton, there's another way,

at the beginning of the code , add a regread to check for a particular key value in registry.

if it is not there, then use regwrite to write that key value in the registry, and in the end

use regdelete to delete that value.

so, when the program starts, it will try to read a particular value (i.e., to check whether another instance of program is running or not,) if that key value doesn't exist, then it will make one and keep the other instances out of its way. Also, deleting the key at the end of execution will enable the program the new instance to run...

Edited by Shaarad
Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Hi Shaarad,

if the program terminates before you can perform your regdelete then you (or a user) will never be able to run the program again. I think _Singleton is a better solution.

Regards,Hannes[spoiler]If you can't convince them, confuse them![/spoiler]

Hi Shaarad,

if the program terminates before you can perform your regdelete then you (or a user) will never be able to run the program again. I think _Singleton is a better solution.

yup...correct..I just wanted to give another solution..
Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

This is another way (place this code at the start of the script):

Dim $Process_exists
$list = ProcessList(@ScriptName)
for $i = 1 to $list[0][0]
    $Process_exists = $Process_exists + 1
next

If  $Process_exists > 1 Then
    Exit
EndIf
Edited by Cybergraph

Singleton is a design patten, you can implement it many different ways it its still a Singleton by definition.

AutoIt provides the _Singleton function which is probably the best way to implement the pattern in AutoIt, I don't understand why you wouldn't use it.

Post your code because code says more then your words can. SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y. Use Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1)[topic="84960"]Brett F's Learning To Script with AutoIt V3[/topic][topic="21048"]Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... is now in Session[/topic]Contribution: [topic="87994"]Get SVN Rev Number[/topic], [topic="93527"]Control Handle under mouse[/topic], [topic="91966"]A Presentation using AutoIt[/topic], [topic="112756"]Log ConsoleWrite output in Scite[/topic]