Network detection

For many scripts there are dependencies such as installed apps, dlls, and whatever. If one script is developed say like Spybot S&D installer that requires internet connection to complete because of options chosen for the installer or many other scripts like it then it is wise to verify the internet connection as a prerequisite prior to entering the installer.

I had a little trouble when I first encountered the need for this, but overcame it with a simple "ping" using the built in Windows ping.exe instead of AutoIts Ping() function and then parsing the logfile to verify connected or not. I realize that dependency on ping isn't always the best choice, but at that time that is all I could wrap my head around.

When the many flavors of Windows Vista were released I ran into one of the strangest problems that I still cannot find the cause, nor care much about anymore. Sometimes ping would fail without returning any value on some Vista machines. Because of that I had to search for another means of network detection that involved use of netsh. Even then this was not always conclusive and I then took a simple path to look an IP addresses and verified not 127.0.0.1 or self assigned. I haven't had enough experience with Windows 7 and my scripts, but they have been reported to me as functional. I assumed they would since Windows 7 really isn't "7", but rather major version 6 which really is just candied up Vista.

The functions that I wrote then to detect network connection currently:

Func networkDetectedPingMethod()
    $bIpAddressAlive = False
    TrayTip("Detecting Network", "Using ping method. ", 60)
    RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c ping.exe www.google.com>""%TEMP%/pingResults.log""", @SystemDir, @SW_HIDE)
    Sleep(500)
    ;parse pingResults.log for not 100% loss
    If FileExists(@TempDir & "/pingResults.log") Then
        $ipFile = FileOpen(@TempDir & "/pingResults.log", 0)

If $ipFile == -1 Then
            ;message to master log file with error
            MsgBox(0, "pingResultsLog missing", "Pete must have made a mistake in coding.  Can't find the log file to parse.")
        Else
            While 1
                $line = FileReadLine($ipFile)
                If @error == -1 Then ExitLoop
                If StringInStr($line, "Request timed out") Or StringInStr($line, "Ping request could not find host") Then
                    $bIpAddressAlive = False
                    TrayTip("","",0)
                    ExitLoop
                Else
                    $bIpAddressAlive = True
                EndIf
            WEnd
        EndIf
        FileClose($ipFile)
        Sleep(500)
    EndIf
    TrayTip("","",0)
    Return $bIpAddressAlive
EndFunc

Func networkDetectedNetshDiagMethod()
    ;I spent hours developing this method only to find that it doesn't work for vista!!!!!!
    $bIpAddressAlive = False
    TrayTip("Detecting Network", "Using network shell diagnostics.", 60)
    RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c netsh diag connect iphost google.com 80>""%TEMP%/netshDiagConnectIphost.log""", @SystemDir, @SW_HIDE)
    Sleep(500)
    ;parse netshDiagConnectIphost.log for connection to port 80
    If FileExists(@TempDir & "/netshDiagConnectIphost.log") Then
        $ipFile = FileOpen(@TempDir & "/netshDiagConnectIphost.log", 0)

If $ipFile == -1 Then
            MsgBox(0, "netshDiagConnectIphost.log missing", "Sn3aky must have made a mistake in coding.  Can't find the log file to parse.")
        Else
            While 1
                If StringInStr($line, "Server appears to be running on port(s) [NONE]") Then
                    $bIpAddressAlive = False
                    TrayTip("","",0)
                    ExitLoop
                Else
                    $bIpAddressAlive = True
                EndIf
            WEnd
        EndIf
        FileClose($ipFile)
        Sleep(500)
    EndIf
    TrayTip("","",0)
    Return $bIpAddressAlive
EndFunc

Func networkDetectedNetshShowLanInterfaceMethod()
    ;use for vista because VISTA SUCKS!
    $bIpAddressAlive = False
    TrayTip("Detecting Network", "Using network shell diagnostics.", 60)
    RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c netsh lan show interfaces>""%TEMP%/netshLanShowInterface.log""", @SystemDir, @SW_HIDE)
    Sleep(500)
    ;parse netshDiagConnectIphost.log for connection to port 80
    If FileExists(@TempDir & "/netshLanShowInterface.log") Then
        $ipFile = FileOpen(@TempDir & "/netshLanShowInterface.log", 0)

If $ipFile == -1 Then
            MsgBox(0, "netshLanShowInterface.log missing", "Sn3aky must have made a mistake in coding.  Can't find the log file to parse.")
        Else
            While 1
                If StringInStr($line, "Connected") Then
                    $bIpAddressAlive = True
                    TrayTip("","",0)
                    ExitLoop
                Else
                    If StringInStr($line, "Network cable unplugged") Then MsgBox(0, "Connection not available", "If I had arms I'd do this myself.  Connect me to a wall jack please then hit ok.")
                    $bIpAddressAlive = False
                EndIf
            WEnd
        EndIf
        FileClose($ipFile)
        Sleep(500)
    EndIf
    TrayTip("","",0)
    Return $bIpAddressAlive
EndFunc

Recently I again approached this portion of my script and wasn't satisfied with how ugly and ineffective it was. I checked again into something I faintly remembered seeing in the past. that led me to this snippet of code:

$connect = _GetNetworkConnect()

If $connect Then
    MsgBox(64, "Connections", $connect)
Else
    MsgBox(48, "Warning", "There is no connection")
EndIf

Func _GetNetworkConnect()
    Local Const $NETWORK_ALIVE_LAN = 0x1  ;net card connection
    Local Const $NETWORK_ALIVE_WAN = 0x2  ;RAS (internet) connection
    Local Const $NETWORK_ALIVE_AOL = 0x4  ;AOL

Local $aRet, $iResult

$aRet = DllCall("sensapi.dll", "int", "IsNetworkAlive", "int*", 0)

If BitAND($aRet[1], $NETWORK_ALIVE_LAN) Then $iResult &= "LAN connected" & @LF
    If BitAND($aRet[1], $NETWORK_ALIVE_WAN) Then $iResult &= "WAN connected" & @LF
    If BitAND($aRet[1], $NETWORK_ALIVE_AOL) Then $iResult &= "AOL connected" & @LF

Return $iResult
EndFunc

I've been unable to find documentation on sensapi.dll and I'm having difficulty trying to troubleshoot why this accurately detects a connection, but fails to point out which connection exactly is actually connected. Maybe I'm too much a young pup also to identify what a "RAS" internet connection is. If anyone has knowledge with the last mentioned function or knows where to find documentation on sensapi.dll please let me know. Thanks!

I use by Yashied. Have a look for either _WinAPI_IsInternetConnected() or _WinAPI_IsNetworkAlive()

Func _Example_2() ; WinAPIEx.au3 Version >> http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/98712-winapiex-udf/    
Local $iNetworkConnected = _WinAPI_IsNetworkAlive() ; I could have used _WinAPI_IsInternetConnected() but this is only available on Windows Vista+ and checks if connection to the Internet is possible too.    
If Not $iNetworkConnected Then $iNetworkConnected = _WinAPI_GetConnectedDlg(1, 1 + 4) ; Run the Connect Wizard if not connected!    
If $iNetworkConnected Then Return 1    
Return SetError(1, 0, $iNetworkConnected)
EndFunc   ;==>_Example_2

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018