Remote Launch

I'm looking for a way to remotely launch files on a host machine through a telnet or a socket connection. I just want to launch basic media files like .MP3s, .AVIs, .PNGs, etc... and rely on Windows file type associations to launch files with the correct program (VLC, iTunes, Picture Viewer, Media Player, etc...). I'm wondering if AutoIT has a way to do this?

Would it be possible to build a quick .exe that could be ran at the telnet cmdline like:

remote.exe c:\media\mediafile.avi

This would then launch mediafile.avi on the host machine. I'll be using this on an HTPC for a home automation remote. If so, can someone point me in the right direction on which functions would be able to accomplish this task? Or if anyone has another idea I'm open to suggestions. Any help is much appreciated!

Hi stbluesrul,

for this you'll need a client-server architecture. a client that sends command and a server that recieves the commands and runs them.

Look in the helpfile for TCPSend / TCPRecv for client server arch.

On the server you can run the files with ShellExecute().

Edited by Hannes123
Regards,Hannes[spoiler]If you can't convince them, confuse them![/spoiler]

....Or if anyone has another idea I'm open to suggestions. Any help is much appreciated!

Have a look at TeamViewer which is free for personnal use and does not require any firewall adjustments. I use it for a number of jobs both for busines and for home, eg controlling my tv and media pc from my arm chair using an iPad. (Not that I'm lazy or anything.) If you need some special features you simply have to write a script which runs on the remote pc and then run it remotely with TeamViewer.
Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

Have a look at TeamViewer which is free for personnal use and does not require any firewall adjustments. I use it for a number of jobs both for busines and for home, eg controlling my tv and media pc from my arm chair using an iPad. (Not that I'm lazy or anything.) If you need some special features you simply have to write a script which runs on the remote pc and then run it remotely with TeamViewer.

I'm very familiar with TeamViewer and use it quite a bit, however, RDP/VNC won't work for the remote program which runs on the iPad. I need to accomplish this through telnet, HTTP GET, or a socket connection of some sort. Hopefully TCP Recv will provide what I need.

Hi stbluesrul,

for this you'll need a client-server architecture. a client that sends command and a server that recieves the commands and runs them.

Look in the helpfile for TCPSend / TCPRecv for client server arch.

On the server you can run the files with ShellExecute().

Ok, after doing a bit of messing with TCPSend / TCPRecv. It seems that TCPRecv can not handle multiple simultaneous connections. Is there a way to enable this? This is a must have for my application, as there will be more then one remote.

Ok, after doing a bit of messing with TCPSend / TCPRecv. It seems that TCPRecv can not handle multiple simultaneous connections. Is there a way to enable this? This is a must have for my application, as there will be more then one remote.

Write yourself a .bat file then call it with Aut0IT Run function.

Edited by Kondro

Write yourself a .bat file then call it with Aut0IT Run function.

That won't work for my application. I need to remotely launch files from a socket or with an exe with a variable from a telnet connection. I won't always be launching the same file.

• 6 months later...