Screenshots Please!

qwert

I realized something after spending last weekend looking for a couple of posts for techniques on transparent GUIs and floating buttons. Although I could recall what the GUI example looked like, I couldn’t find it. Even in today’s economy, pictures are still worth a thousand words. Particularly for examples, they convey in an instant what it takes several minutes to figure out by downloading the code and running it -- and sometimes having to bring the code up to current level just to get a look. Even something as simple as the example I've attached would help.

Maybe someday there could even be a thumbnail viewer of all examples that were tagged with screenshots -- so finding things would be more like looking at an Amazon dot com selection of suggested books. Plus, it would form a ready-reference guide to the extent of Au3 GUI capabilities (which are awesome).

In fairness, several contributors seem to agree and often include a screenshot or two. But it seems everyone would benefit it this became the norm and not the exception. A great way to get this on track would be if past contributors, one by one, would add a representative screenshot to their most popular examples.

Anyone agree?

post-29172-0-22125100-1299874460_thumb.p

Even in today’s economy, pictures are still worth a thousand words. Particularly for examples, they convey in an instant what ...

As a mainly visually orientated person ... I Most definitely agree.

But ... Don't know about that thumbnails idea. As not all examples are Gui Application types. (Most are actually not)

But a generally sticky topic about what are considered good pointers to take note of for example scripts topic would not be wrong. (Split up in general types like for example ... GUI's, CUI's, UDF's, ???.)

Personally ... If I see a example that is not clearly conveying whats it is for. I generally don't bother with them.

- Screen shot: Not only giving a nice clue about the program. Also can show the creators attention to detail (GUI). (Not relative for UDF type of examples of course)

- What problem its suppose to solve (if any of course). Or a little background on the reason for creating it. (My favorite as it applies to all)

- Some behavioral feature notes. (Depends on type of example, and level of code/function documentation.)

- ... ?

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

"Believing what you know ain't so" ...

Knock Knock ...

I won't comment on the idea. Since I rarely visit Example Scripts anyway, it won't affect what I do or how I do it.

I will ask this question though.

What the H3** has this question got to do with Developer Chat where the forum description clearly reads

"A place for the v3 developers and C++ geeks to talk."

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

What the H3** has this question got to do with Developer Chat where the forum description clearly reads

"A place for the v3 developers and C++ geeks to talk."

Ouch.

"Report Help File Issues Here" ... and various other topics led me to believe it was appropriate ... and that it might receive attention and comment by those in decision-making roles.

qwert:

- change tile. (showing its targeting the Example forum.)

- Request this topic to be move to Chat or Example. (Think Chat is the saver one.)

-- Request with message in this topic or try the Report button. (Msg the saver way, and Report seems to not work, although that probably is just a local problem.)

Edited by iEvKI3gv9Wrkd41u

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

Knock Knock ...

Well, thanks for the advice ... but:

#1 I wasn't targeting this at Examples. The posts I was searching for were in the GUI forum. Many, many times a screenshot would be appropriate there ... and, occasionally, even in others.

#2 "Chat -- General non-AutoIt chat" doesn't fit at all. This isn't non-AutoIt.

Look, if someone wants to move this thread elsewhere, then it seems they should decide where. This was my best choice, for the reasons I've mentioned.

Right ...

Whatever. :)

Edited by iEvKI3gv9Wrkd41u

Knock Knock ...

@qwert

Doing it in support is of little value at anytime

Do it several times and then suddenly you will discover that you have reached your file upload limit. Then you would have to start weeding them out and editing the relevent posts.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

Why not add them to the helpfile .chm supports pictures as well.

I would definatly find some of the things in the helpfile easier if i could see the elements of what i was trying to understand

I would be willing to help as i used to write tutorials

Chimaera

@Chimaera

You do realize that the help files are auto-compiled don't you?. That would require changes to the compile process and I don't see that happening too soon.

As for screenshots in the forums I can only state my side; it won't be happening as in I won't be doing it. There are times when a screenshot from someone asking for help may be beneficial but to post screenshots with the replies is not part of my future plans.

George

@ GEOsoft

Lol didnt have a clue

As i write them from scratch never considered auto writing them :)

Ok ill rephrase maybe i could help doing some some picture examples for the wiki? obviously hosted external so not to the impair the server

Might be worth thinking about as a way to better explain examples that are for begineers, as there are concepts that i still struggle with so at least i could add notations to the pictures so the sequence evolves like the code and they could be watermarked with the autoit homepage.

Wont work for all things obviously but may help for some

just a thought cos lets face it im not gonna be putting fantastic new code up am i :) (you have seen my coding right?)

Just thought i could help

Chimaera