Disable/Enable Local Area Connection

Sorry for double post (once I used edit my reply, and it just came up garbled, so I don't trust it)

Anyway, Yes it works, but I thought hang on if I use your one, on another computer I have to run the gui again, to create the new Stop/Start network. Hmm I don't like that.

My idea for this is to run it on any computer without any disruption (or addition) of any other files

Ideally I just need one program (like yours) so as I don't click on one to start it and one to stop it.

Anyway you guys rock muttley

I'll continue to check here (at this thread) for any further updates.

I'm still also highly interested in Tlem script (which does seem to work on any computer - but still has errors)

smashly, if you want to update yours to gui that you can disable directly from gui (and enable from gui) that would be grand :)

Here's hopeing (or is that hoping?)

Kim

Sorry for double post (once I used edit my reply, and it just came up garbled, so I don't trust it)

Anyway, Yes it works, but I thought hang on if I use your one, on another computer I have to run the gui again, to create the new Stop/Start network. Hmm I don't like that.

My idea for this is to run it on any computer without any disruption (or addition) of any other files

Ideally I just need one program (like yours) so as I don't click on one to start it and one to stop it.

Anyway you guys rock muttley

I'll continue to check here (at this thread) for any further updates.

I'm still also highly interested in Tlem script (which does seem to work on any computer - but still has errors)

smashly, if you want to update yours to gui that you can disable directly from gui (and enable from gui) that would be grand :)

Here's hopeing (or is that hoping?)

Kim

Glad it works for you,

The idea was for a user to use the udf for what they want, the gui was only an example of use of the udf.

If I was going to use a gui to disable, enable then I'd probably just use windows native interface instead :P

Maybe you should have a go at making a gui to suite your own needs since you now have some basic ideas on how to do what your after :(

Cheers

I'd probably just use windows native interface instead

You mean Net Stop and so forth?

No not that way

It needs to be a file, not a shortcut

This is why yours would be ideal (as either a single file <--which it is already)

But not as your program running another variable (like the desktop link to Network link)

It needs to be just a single program, that does it all

ie To run Windows Notepad, we don't run explorer: then the PID then some variable then some switch

We just run Notepad.

Therefore to enhance your program, the gui also requires a disable and enable option, within it

Maybe you should have a go at making a gui to suite your own needs

Lets face it I can't (presently) Nor do I think I could honestly learn all this, there's even a forum (this one!) for advanced members who still require help. Not only that, its been done already. By you and Tlem

To be quite clear about all of this.

A standalone program to Enable/Disable the network (only) Does NOT exist on the web, anywhere!

Some come close, but believe it or not, you guys are closer (way closer)

I have attended thousands of Homes and Business, I have supported thousands on the web

The option to have a program (not individualized) that can quickly disable the net (simply) then re-enable it (simply) would be utilized by everyone! Hang on I'll just go get a coffee (should I turn off the computer? It is on the net? Unattended!)

Personal Firewalls can do it, but if I want to run local games or high end graphics, I don't want my firewall on (or net) at all.

Should I defrag whilst being online? There's just too many reasons why it should exist. Which it doesn't!

An autoitscript can do it (it even creates an exe and an icon) A gui would be perfect (but not compulsory)

But the autoitscript would have to be standalone. Shouldn't they all be? That's the point isn't it?

Does anyone understand me?

You mean Net Stop and so forth?

No not that way

It needs to be a file, not a shortcut

This is why yours would be ideal (as either a single file <--which it is already)

But not as your program running another variable (like the desktop link to Network link)

It needs to be just a single program, that does it all

ie To run Windows Notepad, we don't run explorer: then the PID then some variable then some switch

We just run Notepad.

Therefore to enhance your program, the gui also requires a disable and enable option, within it

Lets face it I can't (presently) Nor do I think I could honestly learn all this, there's even a forum (this one!) for advanced members who still require help. Not only that, its been done already. By you and Tlem

To be quite clear about all of this.

A standalone program to Enable/Disable the network (only) Does NOT exist on the web, anywhere!

Some come close, but believe it or not, you guys are closer (way closer)

I have attended thousands of Homes and Business, I have supported thousands on the web

The option to have a program (not individualized) that can quickly disable the net (simply) then re-enable it (simply) would be utilized by everyone! Hang on I'll just go get a coffee (should I turn off the computer? It is on the net? Unattended!)

Personal Firewalls can do it, but if I want to run local games or high end graphics, I don't want my firewall on (or net) at all.

Should I defrag whilst being online? There's just too many reasons why it should exist. Which it doesn't!

An autoitscript can do it (it even creates an exe and an icon) A gui would be perfect (but not compulsory)

But the autoitscript would have to be standalone. Shouldn't they all be? That's the point isn't it?

Does anyone understand me?

I understand what you want, but I just can't bring myself to make it that easy just as of yet...lol

Myself and most others here on the forum like to offer help to those that are willing to help themselves.

By this I mean that a user tries to at least to have a go and try writing some code that suites their own needs.

When they get stuck then they post what they've tried and usually someone will pitch in and try and help.

For me to add a enable/disable button to that example gui I wrote would probably take under 2 mins.

But where's the fun in that, when I'd rather see you give it at least a try and pick up a little knowledge along the way and you'd probably use the knowledge to help someone else when they're stuck in their effort of code... (Chain effect)

So saying what's the point cause someone has already ahead of you in the learning curve game of writing code isn't really showing any spark.

That spark I refer to is what makes the AutoIt community.

So commit some effort , the tools are at your disposal, the ppl are eager to help, the rest is upto you for the time being muttley

Cheers

I see, how much money do you want muttley

Only joking

I understand what you mean, but I have come from a support forum as a top Guru (not in autoit obviously)

And when a new member comes on and says my network doesn't work (or a million other questions)

We don't teach them, we just provide the direct answer. Like run this:

cmd /c ipconfig /all >Desktop\ipconfig.txt

We're not about to say, well cmd stands for command prompt and ...... We'd be there all day!

We get the user fixed, and they're happy :(

But I suppose I'll try (I'd say a month or two and I'll get there :)

But writing going down on an angle, seems so strange!

I have updated my code : http://www.autoitscript.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7329#p7329

Work on French W2K, WIN XP (and US), WIN 2003, Vista and probably to WIN2K8.

Not sure on one verb for English W2K (see line 319).

Adding :

- _NetCC("connection name", 4) => Return state of connection.

- _NetCC("connection name", 3) => Repair connection.

- _NetCC("connection name", 2) => Toggle connection.

- _NetCCGetList() => Return an array of connections list.

Tanks to Kim for is testing. muttley

Edited by Tlem

Best Regards.Thierry

• 2 months later...

is there a dll call that can be used to do this instead?

Because using the Shell.Application object's functionalities will only work if a user shell is initialized, correct? ie- a user must be logged in to use this udf, since accessing the Shell.Application object requires a user logging in and activating the shell... right?

Just curious, i've been all over msdn and am rather super confused as to what exactly to look for as far as attempting using dllcall() to do this instead..

The reason I ask is because I am writing a script that will be run as as service and i need to be able to control the nic to enable, disable and repair it whether there is or is not a user logged on to the PC. This doesn't appear to work unless there is a user logged in when the Shell.Application object is used.

any ideas?

Edited by ShminkyBoy

NETSH.EXE command line utility... off to google with you.

Lar.

Thanks for the suggestion Lar, but I can't seem to find any documentation for the Ifmon.dll file itself, the part of netsh that I want to make use of with dllcall()..

I would prefer not to have to use an external app in the script- making the dllcall() directly would be better, no?

I've gone quite a bit of googling and searching the forums, with no luck =(

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi All!

I'm a newcomer to AutoIt (got wise to it yesterday), but have already managed to practice some coding. Since one of my urging tasks was similar to this one discussed here (toggle LAN connection on and off), I spent some time trying to script that. I've tried some solutions offered here: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12034 and here: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12645, but they didn't work too fine. So I've found what seems a more robust solution. I don't know if it works on any other OSs other than mine (Windows XP SP3), but it seems to be entirely independent of local languages (it doesn't use "verbs" and system folder names). I just found a free Microsoft product - a console-run device manager called devcon (try googling it or searching in MSDN). This tool can enable / disable any device using WinAPI and given the device's ID (a string value). So my task in AutoIt boiled down to writing a wrapper.

And here it is:

#Region;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Outfile=LAN_Control_ENG.exe
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_Tidy=y
#EndRegion;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

Global Const $DEVCON = @ScriptDir & "\devcon.exe"

Func Connect($bConnect = True)

If $bConnect = True Then
        If ShellExecute($DEVCON, "enable ms_pschedmp", "", "", @SW_HIDE) = 1 Then; "ms_pschedmp" is the LAN devices ID
            Return True
        Else
            Return False
        EndIf
    Else
        If ShellExecute($DEVCON, "disable ms_pschedmp", "", "", @SW_HIDE) = 1 Then; "ms_pschedmp" is the LAN devices ID
            Return True
        Else
            Return False
        EndIf
    EndIf

EndFunc ;==>Connect

$gui = GUICreate("LAN Control", 155, 80)
$gui_label = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Choose option:", 30, 10)
$gui_b_OK = GUICtrlCreateButton("Enable LAN", 5, 40, 70, 30)
$gui_b_Cancel = GUICtrlCreateButton("Disable LAN", 80, 40, 70, 30)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1

$msg = GUIGetMsg()

Select
        Case $msg = $gui_b_OK

If Connect() Then
                MsgBox(64, "OK!", "LAN enabled!")
                ExitLoop
            Else
                MsgBox(48, "Error!", "An error occurred!")
                ExitLoop
            EndIf

Case $msg = $gui_b_Cancel
            If Connect(False) Then
                MsgBox(64, "OK!", "LAN disabled!")
                ExitLoop
            Else
                MsgBox(48, "Error!", "An error occurred!")
                ExitLoop
            EndIf

Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            ExitLoop

EndSelect
WEnd

Here's a RAR file containing the above source code, a compiled EXE, and devcon (for i386 systems):

http://narod.ru/disk/7051598000/LanControl.rar.html

Please comment! :D

• 1 month later...

The exports of Ifmon.dll tell me it is not what you want... perhaps IPHLPAPI.DLL is what you want... but NETSH.EXE with @SW_HIDE is the shortest distant between two points.

Lar.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366071(VS.85).aspx

Unforutunately netsh doesn't disable the connection on Windows XP.

Microsoft KB

As noted by archrival, this unfortunately does not work. =(

Please comment! :)

nice wrapper for devcon =) I was hoping for something native Autoit, perhaps using some dll calls.

After poking about i did an export of netsh.dll's functions and I tried something like this:

#include <Constants.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

$hdll = DllOpen ('netshell.dll')
MsgBox(0,'',$hdll)
$value = DllCall ($hdll, 'none', 'RepairConnection')
MsgBox(0,'',$value)
DllClose($hdll)

but this crashes autoit (I'm using 3.3.0.0).. Am I doing this dll call wrong Lar?

you try :

netsh interface set interface <interface name> DISABLED

For example to disable an interface with its default name Local Area Connection, run:

netsh interface set interface Local Area Connection DISABLED

To enable the interface, you'd then run:

netsh interface set interface Local Area Connection ENABLED

you try :

netsh interface set interface <interface name> DISABLED

For example to disable an interface with its default name Local Area Connection, run:

netsh interface set interface Local Area Connection DISABLED

To enable the interface, you'd then run:

netsh interface set interface Local Area Connection ENABLED

Thank you, toxicvn, but archrival has already given proof that this is not the case:

Unforutunately netsh doesn't disable the connection on Windows XP.

Microsoft KB

Dedicated interfaces cannot be connected, disconnected, enabled, or disabled. This behavior occurs because the Netshell tool treats network adapters as dedicated interfaces.

I think the dllcall would work, if i could learn what parameters the call was expecting; i did some googling for netshell.dll, and so i've seen mention of a thread on a forum somewhere that shows the dllcall, unfortunately the site that allegedly had this example no longer exists now =(

Edited by ShminkyBoy

• 1 year later...

Another way to disable/enable the network adapter

#include <GuiConstantsEx.au3>
GuiCreate("NIC Switch", 230, 50)
$GUI_ENABLE_BUTTON = GuiCtrlCreateButton("Enable", 10, 10, 100, 30)
$GUI_DISABLE_BUTTON = GuiCtrlCreateButton("Disable", 120, 10, 100, 30)
GuiSetState()
While 1
    $msg = GuiGetMsg()
    Select
    Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
        ExitLoop
    Case $msg = $GUI_ENABLE_BUTTON
        Run("netsh.exe interface set interface ""Local Area Connection"" ENABLE")
    Case $msg = $GUI_DISABLE_BUTTON
        Run("netsh interface set interface ""Local Area Connection"" DISABLE")
    EndSelect
WEnd