Windows XP Login

Guest Ghetto Pimp

Guest Ghetto Pimp

Hi, I'm somewhat new to this, but I've managed to learn quite a bit.

Anyone out there know if there's possible to start a script already in the "Windows Login" screen ? (I'm ghosting some computers, and need AutoIt to Log in automatically to configure each PC)

I figured windows services (Administrative Tools) might start some stuff in the process of logging into windows, but I've had no luck managing anything.

Any help is very much appreciated.

I know that if you replace the active screensaver with a copy of cmd.exe (rename to ****.scr), you will have a "root" command prompt when the screensaver goes active. I don't know how else to run a script without having someone logged in, maybe HKLM, but I've never tested.

Writing AutoIt scripts since

_DateAdd("d", -2, _NowCalcDate())

Hi, I'm somewhat new to this, but I've managed to learn quite a bit.

Anyone out there know if there's possible to start a script already in the "Windows Login" screen ? (I'm ghosting some computers, and need AutoIt to Log in automatically to configure each PC)

I figured windows services (Administrative Tools) might start some stuff in the process of logging into windows, but I've had no luck managing anything.

Any help is very much appreciated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Use Task Scheduler, there are events for system start and for user login. Since Task Scheduler is a service independant of explorer, these events will fire even if you don't use explorer for your GUI shell.

However, if all you want to do is have the computer auto-logon and run some commands, create a file call something.reg with these contents:

Windows Registry Editor version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon]
"AutoAdminLogon"="1"
"AutoLogonCount"=-
"DefaultUserName"="(user name here)"
"DefaultPassword"="(user's password here)"
"DefaultDomainName"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce]
"AppName"="C:\\Path To App\\App.exe"

This will set the computer to auto logon as the specified user at the next logon. You can use AutoLogonCount to only have it logon once (or twice, or however many times you want) and then revert back to no autologon. Put what you want in lines under the RunOnce, note that the paths have to have double-back-slashes in them.

Edited by blindwig