Install Printers by IP

Hello,

I am attempting to write an AutoIT script to install printers by IP address for WinXP SP3 only. I am hitting two road blocks so far.

1. If the printer is offline, an additional dialog box appears. "The device could not be found on the network". How do I properly handle this dialog? This window takes several seconds to appear and I attempted to put a sleep timer in to wait for this additional dialog to appear. I also attempt to use the Window info tool to identify this dialog, but it appears all of the printer wizard dialogs are identical.

2. If the TCP/IP printer port exists, it prompts a dialog "A port with that name already exists." How would I check for an existing TCP/IP port before running the printer install wizard?

Thanks,

Jordan

Here is what I have for the code so far

#cs ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author:  WiSp
 Organization: ** Removed **
 Script Function:
    Automatically install the Canon and Ricoh series printers.
        Models Covered:

#ce ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

; Script Start

#Include <GuiListView.au3>
#include <GUIConstants.au3>

;#NoTrayIcon

Dim $PrinterDriver = ""
Dim $IPAddress = ""
Dim $PrinterModel = ""
Dim $PrinterFriendlyName = ""
Dim $PrinterFriendlyNameAndIP = ""
Dim $PrinterMakeDefault = "0"
Dim $PrinterChoice = ""

;---------Drivers List------------------
Dim $Printer1 = "C:\Printerdrivers\Canon Printer-Copiers\win2k_xp\pcl5e_5c\P52KUSAL.INF"

; Check to see if the OS it's being run on is Windows 2K or Windows XP, all others fail.
;$OSVer = @OSVersion
;If $OSVer <> "Win_XP" Then
;    If $OSVer <> "Win_2000" Then
;        MsgBox (48, "Wrong OS Version", "Sorry, you are running " & $OSVer & ", this program is for Windows 2000 or XP only.")
;        Exit
;    EndIf
;EndIf

#Region ### START GUI section ###
$Form1_1 = GUICreate("Printer Installer", 211, 217, -1, -1)
$List1 = GUICtrlCreateList("", 8, 72, 193, 97)
; NOTE: The list is the actualy driver name as it would be found if you were selecting it from a list of drivers.
; It is trimmed later to make the name more friendly
Dim $PrinterChoice = GUICtrlSetData(-1, "Printer1")
$Button1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("&Install Printer", 8, 184, 121, 25, 0)
$Button2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("&Cancel", 136, 184, 65, 25, 0)
$Label1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel($PrinterChoice, 8, 8, 91, 17)
$Label2 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Select Printer Model:", 8, 56, 102, 17)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
#EndRegion ### END GUI section ###

While 1
   $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
 Switch $nMsg
;Select
  Case $Button1
        $Printerchoice = GUICtrlRead ( 3 ) 
        MsgBox(0, "", "You selected "&$Printerchoice, 2)
If StringInStr($PrinterChoice, "Printer1") Then
            $PrinterModel = "Canon iR5000 PCL6" ; Driver name found in the .ini 
            $PrinterDriver = $Printer1
            $IPAddress = String("10.8.66.25")
EndIf

GUISetState(@SW_HIDE)
            ExitLoop
        Case $Button2; Cancel button
            Exit
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE; Windows "X" button
            Exit
    ;EndSelect
    EndSwitch
WEnd

; Run the Add Printer Wizard
Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /il', "",@SW_HIDE)

;If $OSVer = "WIN_XP" Then
    WinWaitActive ("Add Printer Wizard", "Welcome to the Add Printer Wizard")
    ControlClick ("Add Printer Wizard", "", 12324); Click Next>

WinWaitActive ("Add Printer Wizard", "Select the option that describes the printer you want to use")
    ControlClick ("Add Printer Wizard", "", 3510); Select Local Pritner
    ControlCommand ("Add Printer Wizard", "Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer", 4665, "UnCheck"); Uncheck AutoDetect
    ControlClick ("Add Printer Wizard", "Select the option that describes the printer you want to use",12324); Click Next>

WinWaitActive ("Add Printer Wizard", "Select the port you want your printer to use") 
    ControlCommand ("Add Printer Wizard", "Create a new port", 4558, "Check", ""); We want to create a new port
    ControlCommand ("Add Printer Wizard", "Create a new port", 4557, "SelectString", 'Standard TCP/IP Port'); look for Standard TCP/IP port
    ControlClick ("Add Printer Wizard", "", 12324); Click Next>

; Enter the IP address and Name of the printer, these are taken from variable input boxes at the beginning
WinWaitActive( "Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard", "You use this wizard to add a port for a network printer")
    ControlClick ("Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard", "", 12324); Click Next>

WinWaitActive( "Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard", "Enter the Printer Name or IP address")
    ControlSetText ( "Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard", "", 1000, $IPAddress)
    ControlClick ("Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard", "", 12324); Click Next>
    Sleep(20000)

; Finish off the add _port_ wizard and then return to the add _printer_ wizard
WinWaitActive( "Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard") ;,"You have selected a port with the following characteristics.")
    ControlClick ("Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard", "", 12325); Click finish button

; Kill the Add Printer wizard, we added our port already, we don't need it this program anymore.
;WinWaitActive( "Add Printer Wizard", "Select the manufacturer and model of your printer")
 ;   ControlClick ( "Add Printer Wizard", "", 2); Click Cancel button

;;; Grand Finale!  Install the damn thing!
;RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'rundll32 printui.dll PrintUIEntry /b "' & $PrinterFriendlyNameAndIP & '" /if /f "' & $PrinterDriver & '" /r "' & $PrinterFriendlyNameAndIP & '" /m "' & $PrinterModel & '"', "",@SW_HIDE)
Edited by JJordan

1. If the printer is offline, an additional dialog box appears. "The device could not be found on the network". How do I properly handle this dialog? This window takes several seconds to appear and I attempted to put a sleep timer in to wait for this additional dialog to appear. I also attempt to use the Window info tool to identify this dialog, but it appears all of the printer wizard dialogs are identical.

Use something like

$iReturnValue = WinWait("WindowsTitle", "The device could not be found on the network", timeout-in-seconds)

in your script to wait for the error message ("WindowsTitle" has to be replaced by the correct title). If the error message doesn't pop up in the specified timeframe, the script goes on and sets $iReturnValue to 0 so you can decide if the error messages showed up or the timeout expired.

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Thanks for the response. Would my code look like something below? Also, do you know how I would check for an existing TCP/IP printer port?

If $iReturnValue <> 0 then
;Extra error window 
else

WinWaitActive( "Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard") ;,"You have selected a port with the following characteristics.")
    ControlClick ("Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard", "", 12325); Click finish button
Endif

Looks good.

Give it a try and report if you get any errors or not the desired result.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

This works great! Do you know how I would check for an existing printe TCP/IP port?

Here is the code

WinWaitActive( "Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard", "Enter the Printer Name or IP address")
    ControlSetText ( "Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard", "", 1000, $IPAddress)
    $iReturnValue = WinWait("Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard", "Device Type", 18)
    If $iReturnValue <> 0 then
    WinWaitActive( "Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard", "You have selected a port with the following characteristics.")
else

WinWaitActive( "Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard", "You have selected a port with the following characteristics.")
Endif

I'm not very experienced in this area.

Maybe trancexx can be a starting point. Or search the forum for "port", "TCPIP" or whatever describes your problem.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• 4 months later...

You can use:

persist.vbs

portmgr.vbs

drvmgr.vbs

prnmgr.vbs

from MS

and before need install prnadmin.dll

here is batch code, that can be modifed for autoit

set DIRECTORY=C:\install

set DIRECTORY_DRV=DIR_OF_DRIVERS

set DRIVER=DRIVER_NAME

set NAME=PRINTER_NAME

set PORT=TCPIP_PORT_NAME

set FILE_CFG=SETTING.DAT

rem register dll (before copy to windir)

Regsvr32 /s "%DIRECTORY%\Prnadmin.dll"

rem TCP/IP port install

cscript "%DIRECTORY%\portmgr.vbs" -a -p %PORT% -h PRINTERIP -t LPR -q QUEE_NAME -md

rem Driver install

cscript "%DIRECTORY%\drvmgr.vbs" -a -m "%DRIVER%" -p "%DIRECTORY%\%DIRECTORY_DRV%" -i "%DIRECTORY%"\%DIRECTORY_DRV%\oemsetup.inf"

rem install printer

cscript "%DIRECTORY%\prnmgr.vbs" -a -b "%NAME%" -m "%DRIVER%" -r "%PORT%"

rem load settins of printer

cscript "%DIRECTORY%\persist.vbs" -r -b "%NAME%" -f "%DIRECTORY%\%FILE_CFG%" -all -resname -resport -resshare

pause

• 7 months later...