[SOLVED] Run a function only during compiling?

Howdy all,

My question is fairly simple. I wrote a custom build logger function and didn't realize until I was commenting it that, duh, it was going to run every time I ran the .exe file after compiling as well. So, my question is, I want the function to run when both "Going" (F5 in SciTE) and "Compiling" (F7 in SciTE). The function adds the changes to a log file, updates the current build in the log file, and archives the entire script to a folder. The function itself does exactly what I need it to do, I just need to restrict it to ONLY run during compiling events. I couldn't find anything like this in the Help file.

Here's the code:

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Name...........: _CreateBuild
; Description ...: This function creates a build archive with log and previous build files. Can be a user defined location, or the script location
; Syntax.........: _CreateBuild( [ $ArchiveLocation = @ScriptDir ] )
; Parameters ....: $ArchiveLocation - [optional] The directory to use for the archive location. Default is @ScriptDir
; Return values .: Nones
; Author ........: Kris Mills <fett8802 at gmail dot com>
; Required.Files.: If used outside of the KrisUDF, must include the KrisUDF - #include <KrisUDF.au3>
; UserCallTip....: _CreateBuild ( [ "archive location" ] ) Creates a build archive with log and previous build files. Can be a user defined location, or the script location. (required: #include <KrisUDF.au3>)
; Modified.......: 4/11/2011 - Created, commented, added a function header
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func _CreateBuild($ArchiveLocation = @ScriptDir)
    Local $BuildChanges, $BuildCurrent, $BuildLog, $BuildName                               ;Declare the local variables to use in this function
    If FileExists($ArchiveLocation & "\BuildLog.ini") = 0 Then FileWrite($ArchiveLocation & "\BuildLog.ini","[CurrentBuild]" & @CRLF & "CurrentBuild=0" & @CRLF) ;If the Log file does not exist, create one with build number 0
    If FileExists($ArchiveLocation & "\BuildLog.ini") = 1 Then $BuildLog = FileOpen($ArchiveLocation & "\BuildLog.ini",1) ;If the file does exist, open it in Write mode
    $BuildCurrent = IniRead($ArchiveLocation & "\BuildLog.ini","CurrentBuild","CurrentBuild",0) ;Get the current build number from the INI file
    $BuildChanges = InputBox("Create New Build", _GetDate() & " - " & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & @CRLF & @CRLF & "New Build Number: " & $BuildCurrent + 1 & @CRLF & @CRLF & _ ;First line of code prompting the user for change information
                    "Please write a short description of the changes made in this build.","","",200,200) ;Second line of code prompting the user for change information
    If $BuildChanges = "" Then $BuildChanges = "Changes not noted."                         ;If the user does not include change information, write "Changes not noted."
    FileWrite($BuildLog, @CRLF & "===== Build: " & $BuildCurrent + 1 & " - " & _GetDate() & " - "  & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & " =====" & @CRLF & "     " & $BuildChanges) ;Write the new build information to the Log file
    IniWrite($ArchiveLocation & "\BuildLog.ini","CurrentBuild","CurrentBuild",$BuildCurrent + 1) ;Change the current version to the new build number
    FileClose($BuildLog)                                                                    ;Close the Log file
    $BuildName = StringTrimRight(@ScriptName,4)                                             ;Get the script name by removing the file extension from the filename
    FileCopy(@ScriptFullPath, $ArchiveLocation & "\Builds\" & $BuildName & "_v" & $BuildCurrent + 1 & ".au3",9) ;Copy the script in the Builds folder for archiving
EndFunc   ;==>_CreateBuild

Thanks for your help!

- Kris

Oh, and if you'd like to run this function, you'll also need this:

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Name...........: _GetDate
; Description ...: Retrieves the current date in the following format: "Monday, March 28, 2011"
; Syntax.........: _GetDate()
; Parameters ....: None
; Return values .: The date in a string formatted as "Monday, March 28, 2011"
; Author ........: Kris Mills <fett8802 at gmail dot com>
; Remarks .......: Uses the internal computer dates
; UserCallTip....: _GetDate ( ) Retrieves the current date in the following format: "Monday, March 28, 2011" (required: #include <KrisUDF.au3>)
; Modified.......: 3/29/2011 - Created, commented, add function header
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func _GetDate()
    Local $sWDay, $sMonth, $sDay                                                                    ;Declare the local variables for use in this function
    Select                                                                                          ;Start a Select conditional statement
        Case @WDAY = 1                                                                              ;If the weekday number is 1, then
            $sWDay = "Sunday"                                                                       ;Write Sunday to the $sWDay variable
        Case @WDAY = 2                                                                              ;If the weekday number is 2, then
            $sWDay = "Monday"                                                                       ;Write Monday to the $sWDay variable
        Case @WDAY = 3                                                                              ;If the weekday number is 3, then
            $sWDay = "Tuesday"                                                                      ;Write Tuesday to the $sWDay variable
        Case @WDAY = 4                                                                              ;If the weekday number is 4, then
            $sWDay = "Wednesday"                                                                    ;Write Wednesday to the $sWDay variable
        Case @WDAY = 5                                                                              ;If the weekday number is 5, then
            $sWDay = "Thursday"                                                                     ;Write Thursday to the $sWDay variable
        Case @WDAY = 6                                                                              ;If the weekday number is 6, then
            $sWDay = "Friday"                                                                       ;Write Friday to the $sWDay variable
        Case @WDAY = 7                                                                              ;If the weekday number is 7, then
            $sWDay = "Saturday"                                                                     ;Write Saturday to the $sWDay variable
    EndSelect                                                                                       ;End the day Select conditional statement
    Select                                                                                          ;Start a Select conditional statement
        Case @MON = 1                                                                               ;If the month number is 1, then
            $sMonth = "January"                                                                     ;Write January to the $sMonth variable
        Case @MON = 2                                                                               ;If the month number is 2, then
            $sMonth = "February"                                                                    ;Write February to the $sMonth variable
        Case @MON = 3                                                                               ;If the month number is 3, then
            $sMonth = "March"                                                                       ;Write March to the $sMonth variable
        Case @MON = 4                                                                               ;If the month number is 4, then
            $sMonth = "April"                                                                       ;Write April to the $sMonth variable
        Case @MON = 5                                                                               ;If the month number is 5, then
            $sMonth = "May"                                                                         ;Write May to the $sMonth variable
        Case @MON = 6                                                                               ;If the month number is 6, then
            $sMonth = "June"                                                                        ;Write June to the $sMonth variable
        Case @MON = 7                                                                               ;If the month number is 7, then
            $sMonth = "July"                                                                        ;Write July to the $sMonth variable
        Case @MON = 8                                                                               ;If the month number is 8, then
            $sMonth = "August"                                                                      ;Write August to the $sMonth variable
        Case @MON = 9                                                                               ;If the month number is 9, then
            $sMonth = "September"                                                                   ;Write September to the $sMonth variable
        Case @MON = 10                                                                              ;If the month number is 10, then
            $sMonth = "October"                                                                     ;Write October to the $sMonth variable
        Case @MON = 11                                                                              ;If the month number is 11, then
            $sMonth = "November"                                                                    ;Write November to the $sMonth variable
        Case @MON = 12                                                                              ;If the month number is 12, then
            $sMonth = "December"                                                                    ;Write December to the $sMonth variable
    EndSelect                                                                                       ;End the month Select conditional statement
    $sDay = @MDAY                                                                                   ;Write the @MDAY value to the $sDay variable
    If @MDAY < 10 Then $sDay = StringTrimLeft(@MDAY,1)                                              ;If the day is less than 10, remove the leading 0
    Return $sWDay & ", " & $sMonth & " " & $sDay & ", " & @YEAR                                     ;Return the date string
EndFunc   ;==>_GetDate
Edited by fett8802
[sub]My UDF[/sub][sub] - Basics and Time extensions. Great for those new at AutoIt, also contains some powerful time extensions for pros.[/sub][sub]ScrabbleIt[/sub][sub] - Scrabble done in pure AutoIt. (In Progress)[/sub][sub]Nerd Party Extreme | My Portfolio | [email="fett8802@gmail.com"]Contact Me[/email][/sub]

• Moderators

fett8802,

I do not believe that any code is run when compiling. To distinguish between scripts and compiled exes, just use the @Compiled macro. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

fett8802,

I do not believe that any code is run when compiling. To distinguish between scripts and compiled exes, just use the @Compiled macro. :)

M23

Thanks for your replies, Alex and Melba. I ended up going with Melba's solution, because I really wanted it to be a function that could be transplanted into any script. Thanks a lot to both of you!

I added this line just under the Func line:

If @Compiled = 1 Then Return                                                                    ;Only executes the function if the script is not compiled

- Kris

Edited by fett8802
[sub]My UDF[/sub][sub] - Basics and Time extensions. Great for those new at AutoIt, also contains some powerful time extensions for pros.[/sub][sub]ScrabbleIt[/sub][sub] - Scrabble done in pure AutoIt. (In Progress)[/sub][sub]Nerd Party Extreme | My Portfolio | [email="fett8802@gmail.com"]Contact Me[/email][/sub]

Thanks for your replies, Alex and Melba. I ended up going with Melba's solution, because I really wanted it to be a function that could be transplanted into any script. Thanks a lot to both of you!

I added this line just under the Func line:

If @Compiled = 1 Then Return                                                                    ;Only executes the function if the script is not compiled

- Kris

So you were just joking when you said you wanted it to run once when compiling, not every time the script is launched? Then this thread was pointless. Thank you for that.

:)

Edit: Also that's a stupid line of code. But what can you expect from a troll.

Edited by AdmiralAlkex

• Moderators

AdmiralAlkex,

I do not see the OP as a troll. :)

He wanted to run the function whenever the script was run in SciTE and not when it was compiled - there was a misunderstanding about the compilation process needing to be taken into consideration as well.

And for my education - why is that a stupid line of code? I would have done exactly the same thing. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

I would have done exactly the same thing. :)

I don't believe you.

You probably would do it like...

If @Compiled Then Return

:)

TCP server and client - Learning about TCP servers and clients connection
Au3 oIrrlicht - Irrlicht project
Au3impact - Another 3D DLL game engine for autoit. (3impact 3Drad related)

460px-Thief-4-temp-banner.jpg
There are those that believe that the perfect heist lies in the preparation.
Some say that it’s all in the timing, seizing the right opportunity. Others even say it’s the ability to leave no trace behind, be a ghost.

• Moderators

bogQ,

All right - you have me there! :)

M23

Spoiler