Distribute AutoIt from Web Server

I am new to AutoIt and have been reviewing the forum and help files for the past couple of days but am still not sure how to handle this. I am building a web application with a button that, when clicked, must interact with another windows appilcation running on the user's desktop. My thoughts are to use AutoIt's ActiveX interface from javascript (not worrying about security or browser compatibility at this point) to invoke an AutoIt script that interacts with the windows application. Anyone have any suggestions or references they might point me to that demonstrates how to automate the install of the AutoIt ActiveX component the first time the client machine browses my web application? In other words, I'd like to detect if AutoIt is installed, install if not, and then execute an AutoIt script all from the web page and "behind the scenes" so the user isn't prompted to install anything...

I have found the following links from the forum - they're very helpful but I am still missing how to install AutoItX on each client computer without any user interaction:

http://mega-gamer.servehttp.com:8124/au3/Test

Installing anything without the users knowledge is something that should never be allowed under any circumstances. Do you have any idea how malicious that type of code could be

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

Since this is a controlled intranet environment there really is no security threat, and again, security isn't critical at this point. It isn't any different than running login scripts, deploying patches, updates, etc... automatically behind the scenes where the user really has no idea what is going on. If you need to install some software on 350 machines, would you prefer to notify each user and have them manually install the software or somehow automate it?

There is a major difference between Automating something and not letting the user know that something is happening.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"