limit upload speed

Hi, my idea is to tell my home-server to limit the upload speed as soon as my laptop goes online or isnt in idle anymore. Not sure on what action i will tell my server to limit / increase the download speed but thats soem other problem :>

my current problem is:

how can i limit a process upload limit? so "utorrent.exe" has only 10kBit/s upload aslong as the .exe is running.

Have you tried changing the upload speed setting in utorrent itself? The program has the ability to change the settings globally for itself, or on a schedule.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

i´m using utorrent 1.6.1 and there arent any real command line options for it (atleast not for changing upload limit). Yes i need to change the global upload limit. There is a udf for utorrent but it needs a newer version + webui enabled. I dont really want webui enabled and also want to stick with 1.6.1

so the only other option to change it in utorrent itself would be with "maximize utorrent window, mouseclicks, minimize utorrent window".. which could be kinda buggy :S

Set the upload speed once, and then every time you use it, it should retain that setting.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

huh? utorrent is running 24/7 at maximum upload speed. as soon as my laptop connects to my homenetwork/comes online/leaves idle/what ever, i want to slow down the upload so my network isnt getting slowed down while i´m at home. Later when i shut down my laptop (or what ever action i choose) the upload should be at maximum again :unsure:

So, utorrent isn't running on the laptop? That wasn't clear in what you originally asked. That would be another issue entirely then.

no utorrent is on my homeserver.. and i want to slow down the upload speed as soon as i use my laptop (so i´m working with the internet).

and the only problem i have is to limit the upload speed. i know how to tell the server that my laptop is online. but no idea how i can make a .exe which is on my server, which will limit the utorrent upload speed when i run it.

There might be a settings file or registry setting for utorrent that could be manipulated. Then you could shut down utorrent and restart it after changing the setting(s) when it sees the laptop come online, and then change them back and restart utorrent again after it is shut off.

hmm that wouldnt be a good method aswell... 100 + torrents need to update everytime you close/run utorrent. if you close/run utorrent withint a short time, the tracker wont realize that you closed and re-run utorrent.. causing you to double seed all torrents. So it gives some bug on the trackers.

I hoped more of some way like netlimiter is working. unfortenuatly there also arent any command line options for netlimiter :/

So put a sleep command in between shutting it down and restarting it. Seeing as how the traffic isn't flowing through your server, or at least shouldn't be, I see no way to limit it on a per machine basis from the server itself. Unless your router or switch has some way of doing it.

Also what tracker seeds torrents? Because all of the trackers I use track torrents, but doesn't seed anything. You can't "double seed" a torrent if you're the only one seeding it.

well the traffic is flowing through my server as my server is the one upload the files (seeding) ?

router - welll i dont want to slow down the whole computer. just the torrent process itself.

on the tracker i have lets say 30 upload slots. when i fast restart utorrent i "double seed" and i still have the 30 slot used from before but actuallly i´m not using them anymore.

• Moderators

If you don't want to block the port on the router ( some routers have bandwidth control built in their firmware ). Then maybe look at IPCop + CopFilter combo.

Maybe those two ran when your server recognizes your laptop has been connected to the network or maybe it can be ran straight from your laptop.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

well for now my solution will be:

ping each laptop on network, if ping = 0 then disable scheduler in utorrent (did that by winactivate utorrent, ctrl + pw, 7800 tabs + down errors , etc )

when ping is not 0 and some laptop is in the network, enable scheduler in utorrent to slow down the speed.

just not sure yet if laptops in sleep mode are ping-able. If yes i guess i would have to share on each laptop a folder and check with the server if that folder is available instead of checking the ping.