How to "turn off" all internet access (and then back on)?

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to "turn off" all internet access while a msgbox is being displayed. Does anyone know how to do this?

So for example:

- Turn off all internet connectivity (user can't use skype/ie/IM/email/utorrent, etc...)

- Display msgbox with "OK" button.

- User clicks "OK" button, and then internet connectivity is restored.

Thanks!

Have a look at netsh and using the CLI.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Maybe? Plus I hope the OP is using this for good!

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

I don't think it's that easy ... because what that netsh command does is to disable the network interface completely. What hstraf wants is to stop internet traffic. And this has to be done by sth. like a firewall if you'd ask me. Well on the other hand maybe he can live with the other solution. :unsure:

Regards,Hannes[spoiler]If you can't convince them, confuse them![/spoiler]

Seems like netsh can directly configure the windows firewall.

Check the doc on usage: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd734783(WS.10).aspx

So make a script that:

1. turns on windows firewall.

2. adds a rule that blocks all internet traffic

3. pop message

4. remove rule added at 2

5. turn off windows firewall

The command to block all internet traffic, without disabling any hardware, SHOULD be this one:

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="blocknet1" dir=in action=block

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="blocknet2" dir=out action=block

Then to restore:

netsh advfirewall firewall del rule name="blocknet1"

netsh advfirewall firewall del rule name="blocknet2"

The windows firewall is locked out by GPO at work so I can't test whether it works or not.

Edited by PowerCat

The problem is that all the solutions above either require 3rd party tools (devcon.exe) or will not work with Windows XP (netsh advfirewall).

I was able to find this code, that seems to work ok as long as the user has DHCP:

; Shut down all internet services.

; Get networking info.
    $oPc = "."
    $oWmi = ObjGet("winmgmts:\\" & $oPc & "\root\cimv2")
    $oCol = $oWmi.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration where IPEnabled=TRUE")

; Create variables with bogus values.
    Dim $oIp[1] = ["1.1.1.1"]
    Dim $oSub[1] = ["255.255.255.0"]
    Dim $oGate[1] = ["1.1.1.1"]
    Dim $oMetric[1] = [1]

; Disable everything by setting bogus info for each network connection.
    For $objNet in $oCol
        $objNet.EnableStatic($oIp, $oSub)
        $objNet.Setgateways($oGate, $oMetric)
    Next

; Display message about internet no longer working.
        MsgBox(48, "network is disabled", "Your internet connection is now disabled.")

; Restore connectivity by setting back to DHCP.
    For $objNet in $oCol
        $objNet.EnableDHCP()
    Next

This seems to work. Perhaps someone could take a look and make sure it is all ok?

Is there a way to "save" the original gateway and DNS config info and then restore it? I think most people use DHCP, but this code above will break anyone who is using a static IP for their network connection.

Edited by hstraf

Hi hstraf,

you'll need to get the information from the system prior to setting it the hard way. e.g. via WMI. In the Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration you can find entries for IPadress, IPSubnet, DNSServerSearchOrder, DefaultIPGateway, ...

:unsure:

Regards,Hannes[spoiler]If you can't convince them, confuse them![/spoiler]

You could always do an "ipconfig /release", then afterwards an "ipconfig /renew". It's not instantaneous because the computer has to get an IP address from where ever DHCP is running, but it will completely eliminate any internet/network access until the IP address is renewed.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

You could always do an "ipconfig /release", then afterwards an "ipconfig /renew". It's not instantaneous because the computer has to get an IP address from where ever DHCP is running, but it will completely eliminate any internet/network access until the IP address is renewed.

I agree, and I would love to do this... but I have been unable to find a way to do this that works reliably for all versions of Windows XP/Vista/7.

Any ideas? :unsure:

if you are not worried about cutting all network access (and they are dhcp) how about a

net stop dhcp

Then i suppose they could go set a static...as with the other solution

Edited by iamtheky

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

it kills my connection immediately, and the 'net start dhcp' restores immediately.

if you are not worried about cutting all network access (and they are dhcp) how about a

net stop dhcp

Then i suppose they could go set a static...as with the other solution

I get an access denied message when I try that command from a command prompt (Win7, admin account).

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

hmm, just did it on server 2008 and Win 7...UAC?