Disk Failure

Jon

• Administrators

It looks like one of the disks in the server has died. Server will go offline at some point for a replacement. Hopefully the ISP support guys replace the correct one and I can resync the RAID array. Prepare for outages.

• Administrators

Replacement drive has been hotswapped into the server but I need to reboot it in the next few hours and put it in rescue mode so I can properly sync up the drives/add boot records to the new drive to prepare for future disk fails. One of two things will happen:

1. I'll reboot and not be able to fix/sync the drives or get the server to boot properly and I'll have to reimage the server from scratch and restore from backup

2. It'll all be fine...

• Administrators

I think the new disk might actually have worked. I'm so glad my ISP provides a direct serial terminal connection to the server and a "rescue" environment to help with this. Disk recovery might take a while though from this progress report:

Personalities : [raid1]
md3 : active raid1 sdb3[0] sda3[2]
    970888192 blocks [2/1] [U_]
    [>....................]  recovery =  0.8% (8610240/970888192) finish=783.2min speed=20474K/sec

md1 : active raid1 sdb1[1] sda1[0]
    3911680 blocks [2/2] [UU]

Once that's finished I'll probably reboot with a file system check for good measure.