Encryption and AutoIt

Okay after some research... I have been unable to find import/export limitations on MD5, but what I have found is most software packages that have an encryption method in use just let the user know that they should check their local laws.

Let me know if it clears this up for you,

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this info that was effective in 2000 (may well still be)

# "Retail" encryption products are widely exportable to all but certain "terrorist" nations though still subject to a government review and reporting requirements.

# Non-retail products are also exportable, subject to similar requirements, to most non-government users.

# Encryption products with less than 64-bits are freely exportable.

# Some non-proprietary source code is exportable to most countries after notice to the government.

Source

I believe that countries not allowed to be exported to include : Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria. (PCWorld).

However, Jon lives in the UK, does he not? :) I don't know if/what UK restrictions there are...

Writing AutoIt scripts since

_DateAdd("d", -2, _NowCalcDate())

I found this info that was effective in 2000 (may well still be)

Source

I believe that countries not allowed to be exported to include : Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria. (PCWorld).

However, Jon lives in the UK, does he not?  :) I don't know if/what UK restrictions there are...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes... it is almost impossible for one person to know all of the import/export laws of the different countries.

Also, I know it may not really matter, but the information I pulled together is all on public internet access. The data is out there, and many commercial products use encryption methods.

I am not sure of the solution to this. I am home a again for a bit, and shall need to do some more research it seems. I would really hate if the only reason this wasnt included into AutoIt is because of some Import/Export unknowns.

I am sorry I havent had time to do extensive research in that area, but I will be working on it and seeing who I can contact to figure out the extent of the law. Atleast in the US and UK. If anyone wants to submit stuff to me from their research about their own country I would be more than willing to look it over.

We shall get this resolved one way or another,

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

• Administrators

This might have to be developed as a seperate DLL. I don't really fancy having to make each download bring up a page saying "I agree that i don't live in one of these countries" before the download starts.

I think MD5 is probably OK though (as long as it's small :) ) , it's just the two way algs that will cause trouble.

Also, I believe that in France encryption is/was illegal. But JP will know if I'm talking rubbish or not :evil:

This might have to be developed as a seperate DLL.  I don't really fancy having to make each download bring up a page saying "I agree that i don't live in one of these countries" before the download starts.

I think MD5 is probably OK though (as long as it's small :) ) , it's just the two way algs that will cause trouble.

Also, I believe that in France encryption is/was illegal.  But JP will know if I'm talking rubbish or not :evil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't really know but I will search about. Don't expect answer before begining og August as I am in vacation just taking care of the merge stuff.

Stay tune

Okay... I have been trying to contact RSA about the import/export of MD5. From everything I have read it is fine because of what Jon said. There are only like 7 countries that it isnt allowed in.

I agree Jon that you wouldnt want that on a download page so I dont think I will work on the in/out encryption functions just yet. Not until I have more time to devote. BTW I know you are busy, but thank you for checking this out and responding.

I have sent JPM the files, but seeing as he is on vacation no wonder I cant get my bugs worked out :).

I will let everyone know as soon as I get an answer from the RSA, and if not from them I will keep searching until which time I find an answer. I am not at home right now or I would check the file size I add to the downloadable source. Hopefully that will tell you whether or not to include this. I am also wanting to do SHA-1 as that is another popular method to ensure a file size and such.

Let me know my next step. I am some what of a beginner with C++ I am trying to use this project to help me push myself in a direction of learning new stuff. I could read books all day long, but until I need to use something it really doesnt click. I basically need some help with my debugging. I didnt think it out logically. I was just too busy trying to get my code to work than making sure if it errored it errored right.

JPM I dont know if you have the latest version or not. I have made some small changes of which we discussed in the PM's...

Thanks to everyone for support and for the opportunity to even try to add to this wonderful program.

Jon, in your response to the thread Layer started about including this and/or the TCP functions. I think you came up with an excellent solution. I was having some similar thoughts as I was reading down, but I couldnt have even begun to fathom how to do it or all the details. Excellent work.

GJ to all the Dev's that have been keeping everything going in Jon's low appearance rate.

JS

AutoIt Links

External Links

@JS

I was mainly waiting the JON advice. So just PM me again you last code to be for sure. I will work when I have the time.

@JON,@Js

in any case I will wait the final decision befor I include it in the merge stuff

Cheers

you people are going to love me for this... a perfect md5 udf!!!

the thing is 200+ lines but its very easy to use, just put an

#include "md5.au3"

at the top of the script and where u want to use md5 just type

_md5("blah")

exact same output as php md5 function

i made a gui for it also to test it

both files are attached

later

i must say i did NOT write the vbscript code myself, i found it elsewhere, but implementing it into autoit is all my doing.

md5.au3

md5_gui.au3

Edited by Nakuribon
i own this sig... php rulezlinks:My PSP Web Portal

you people are going to love me for this...  a perfect md5 udf!!!

the thing is 200+ lines but its very easy to use, just put an

#include "md5.au3"

at the top of the script and where u want to use md5 just type

_md5("blah")

exact same output as php md5 function

i made a gui for it also to test it

both files are attached

later

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very nice job! Best part is it works offline (unlike mine :) ). I modified the include a bit, it's about 1kb smaller than the beta nak gave me. The new include is attached along with the new gui that does file hashing plus both comparisons. Tell me what you think!

md5.au3

EDIT: Beta had the gui with it so the include is actually 1kb larger

EDIT2: Added a modified GUI that supports text and file hashing

EDIT3: Added text and file comparison to the new GUI

EDIT4: GUI now supports all file types by using Larry's APIREADWRITE UDF

Edited by erifash

@nak

Good Job, but native code for it will make that just need a single line suchas FileMD5() or StringMD5() :)

I appreciate the hard work you have shown, make sure you submit this in the scripts and scraps forum if you havent already.

@JPM

Okay I will re-pm the code. I hope Jon makes a decision about it. Everything I have been able to find thus far has indicated that MD5 and SHA-1 are imported/exported practically everywhere. I am still trying to confirm this with the proper authorities, and not just be going off of a college paper. (You will get the code probably tomorrow) We just need to debug it properly. I was if you recall comparing a char ptr to "" :-P (noob :evil:). I appreciate your help. We will await Jon's decision on inclusion.

JS

AutoIt Links

External Links

@nak

Good Job, but native code for it will make that just need a single line suchas FileMD5() or StringMD5() :)

I appreciate the hard work you have shown, make sure you submit this in the scripts and scraps forum if you havent already.

@JPM

Okay I will re-pm the code. I hope Jon makes a decision about it. Everything I have been able to find thus far has indicated that MD5 and SHA-1 are imported/exported practically everywhere. I am still trying to confirm this with the proper authorities, and not just be going off of a college paper. (You will get the code probably tomorrow) We just need to debug it properly. I was if you recall comparing a char ptr to "" :-P (noob :evil:). I appreciate your help. We will await Jon's decision on inclusion.

JS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am ready to help you even during my vacation :D

if you want i can investigate into some c++ source for md5 and add it to autoit, that sound good?  problem is im sorta crappy with c++... but ill figure it out

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

JS already did. what should be investigate is the inclusion to be used in any country not against local law :">

o ok then

but if its wanted i do have string md5 and file md5 funcs in c++

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do appreciate the offer, but I have already gotten everything ready to include in AutoIt. JPM is helping me debug. I cant get to my computer right now as I have been spending the weekend with my Father-In-Law doing some web development for him. As soon as I get home I will be PM'ing the files to JPM and see what we can get worked out.

I am also going to be contacting some people tomorrow about the import/export laws reguarding MD5. I also want to check on SHA-1 while I am in contact. I think MD5 and SHA-1 will be valuable to AutoIt as it will allow everyone to check for data integrity.

JS

AutoIt Links

External Links