Block or pause a startup aplication

Hello,

I created a script that updates my computers on start-up,

But in order to make the update i need to disable another start-up application from starting, until the update finishes.

So is it possible, to block or pause a start-up application from starting, and then allow it when the update has finished?

For example:

1. my script starts

2. My scrips blocks the start-up entry "hndclient.exe" from starting

3. When the update finishes, my script allows the startup entry to execute "hndclient.exe"

P.s.

Once the "hndclient.exe" is started i am not able to close it with "processclose" (it is protected)

Also if i remove the "hndclient.exe" from startup entries it ads it self again automatically.

Thats why i need a solution like described above.

Thanks for suggestions

Thank you

hndclient.exe is a cyber cafe interface client. In my opinion, this sounds like something malicious. If you had the appropriate "authorization" to manipulate the cyber cafe computer, this wouldn't be necessary....hmmmmm...

hndclient.exe is a cyber cafe interface client. In my opinion, this sounds like something malicious. If you had the appropriate "authorization" to manipulate the cyber cafe computer, this wouldn't be necessary....hmmmmm...

Well i am the owner of that internet cafe, and i am trying to figure out how to make automatic updates for client computers.

Because of the "hndclient.exe" starts on startup, it blocks the update. Thats why i am looking for the solution, how to disable the hndclient.exe while the update is done.

Thanks

Well i am the owner of that internet cafe, and i am trying to figure out how to make automatic updates for client computers.

Because of the "hndclient.exe" starts on startup, it blocks the update. Thats why i am looking for the solution, how to disable the hndclient.exe while the update is done.

Thanks

ok, I just had to get that out there. I would think that there would be a setting in the software itself to not auto start?

ok, I just had to get that out there. I would think that there would be a setting in the software itself to not auto start?

The software doesnt have that option. And when i remove it from start-up with "msconfig", next time i start the software it adds the startup entry again.

To add to that, if there is an option to not start Cyber cafe at startup, then before your script closes you could have it run the CC process

*edit*

Just saw the "no option" response.

I guess it may be a registry entry then

Edited by kaotkbliss

My Android cat and mouse game
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.KaosVisions.WhiskersNSqueek

We're gonna need another Timmy!

What do you use to manage the computers? do you have a server w/ AD setup? Can you push a login script to start prior to the computer running it's own startup?

No its Workgroup

I have already tried all other solutions.

So there is no option to pause start-up applications (entries) from starting?

To add to that, if there is an option to not start Cyber cafe at startup, then before your script closes you could have it run the CC process

*edit*

Just saw the "no option" response.

I guess it may be a registry entry then

I have tried with registry, but it adds it self to registry again (each time i start the application)

I'm not aware of anyway to pause an .exe from running dealing directly with the .exe and not reg. entries. But, if it is adding itself back, there is another process doing that... can the update you are trying to run be run in safe-mode? Perhaps that will work?

An option might be to boot in safe mode, rename "hndclient.exe" to something else and replace it with an autoit script that decides if an update is needed (looks in a fixed location for an update script, perhaps add a password) and start the renamed exe before closing.

Updating would simply mean placing the update script in a fixed location (a network location would be great if you want to do a lot of PC's at once) and reboot all PC's you want to update.

Of coarse this will only work if "hwndclient.exe" will run when renamed and if the startup entry will keep pointing to it's old location when it's run from the new location.

There will definitely be a way to stop the start-up entry from being re-added, but without knowing the software it's hard to tell exactly how to do it.

another option:

add a group policy to block the specific path of hndclient.exe

ex:: on a win7 box navigate to local comp policy --> windows settings --> security settings --> software restriction policies --> Additional Rules and add "c:\programdata\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\hndclient.exe" as path disallowed

Then add a line at the bottom of your script that copies hndclient to another location and runs it....

Edited by iamtheky

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)