need a method to determine if machine is idle

I am having problems with the built in windows XP method of determining if a machine is idle. It seems if background xp cleanup tasks run, or if the processor has more than 10% usage then windows doesn't consider the machine idle.

Has anyone determined a relatively reliable way to check if a machine is idle? Obviously I can check for mouse movement every second or something and if the mouse hasn't moved... but what about full screen videos.

Anyone have any ideas?

• Moderators

kor,

No need to check yourself for mouse movement. From the Help file: "_Timer_GetIdleTime - Returns the number of ticks since last user activity". ;)

As to fullscreen video, you could increase the required tme period if certain processes, such as Media Player, are running. :huh2:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

I'm worried about that idle counter as XP resets various idle timers when it runs cleanup tasks.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310601

Although microsoft says the problem was fixed in SP1 I have SP3 machines that are seeing the exact behavior. I am looking to code something myself that will have it's own timer since I don't trust the XP ones.

Another idea I had was to simply check to see if the screen saver is active, then count 30 minutes.

Is there a way to check to see if a screen saver is currently active?

I've searched and searched for a way to determine if the screen saver is running, but I can't find any code that is within the past couple of years. Google shows me autoit code from like 2005, but it doesn't work. has there been anything recently to determine if a screen saver is active on a local machine?

You can check the registry to see what the screensaver is set to, then check the processes running to see if it's running or not.

The key for the screensaver is (on XP), "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\SCRNSAVE.EXE"

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Here is my code. My last problem is getting the script to continue running after the machine comes back from sleep. Can i run the script as a service to make it do that? I imagine I need to do some kind of script restart or something.

I also need to figure out a way that if the screensaver process closes within the 30 minute countdown then the script starts over.

ProcessWait("logon.scr")
If ProcessExists("logon.scr") Then
    For $i = 1 to 1800 Step 1
        Sleep(1000)
    Next
    Run("psshutdown.exe -d -t 1", @WindowsDir & "\", @SW_HIDE)
EndIf

EDIT: (updated code)

While 1
    ProcessWait("logon.scr")
            If Not ProcessExists("logon.scr") Then ExitLoop
            Sleep(1000)
        Next
        If $i >= 1800 Then Run("psshutdown.exe -d -t 1", @WindowsDir & "\", @SW_HIDE)
    EndIf
WEnd
Edited by kor

Here is my code. My last problem is getting the script to continue running after the machine comes back from sleep. Can i run the script as a service to make it do that? I imagine I need to do some kind of script restart or something.

I also need to figure out a way that if the screensaver process closes within the 30 minute countdown then the script starts over.

ProcessWait("logon.scr")
        Sleep(1000)
    Next
    Run("psshutdown.exe -d -t 1", @WindowsDir & "\", @SW_HIDE)
EndIf

EDIT: (updated code)

While 1
    ProcessWait("logon.scr")
            If Not ProcessExists("logon.scr") Then ExitLoop
            Sleep(1000)
        Next
        If $i >= 1800 Then Run("psshutdown.exe -d -t 1", @WindowsDir & "\", @SW_HIDE)
    EndIf
WEnd

what does -d -t 1 does in the run??

thanks