Little help with first script

I'm rather new to AutoIt scripting. I'm trying to write a script that will automate a task we do at work every 30 minutes. I've got the automation part correct, it works. Now I'm trying to make it continuously loop every 30min until 5PM when it closes. Will this work?

#include <Date.au3>

$time = _NowTime()

While 1
endif _NowTime()="5:00PM"
else
    WinActivate ( "Warehose Menu Options" )
    ControlClick("Warehose Menu Options", "", "[CLASS:TBitBtn; INSTANCE:7]")
    WinWaitActive("New Warehouse Orders")
    ControlClick("New Warehouse Orders", "", "[CLASS:TBitBtn; TEXT:&Print All; INSTANCE:1]")
    Sleep(1800000)
WEnd

You'd need to do something like this:

; #include <Date.au3>

$Timer = TimerInit()
While Not @Hour >= 17 ; easier to code it this way
    If TimerDiff($Timer) >= 1800000 ; Wait 30 minutes before running it again
        ControlClick("New Warehouse Orders", "", "[CLASS:TBitBtn; TEXT:&Print All; INSTANCE:1]")
        $Timer = TimerInit()
    Endif
WEnd

You had no If statement in the loop so it wouldn't run even if you tried it, you just have Endif and Else statements, and they're in the wrong sequence.

If you want it to run the first time through the loop, then change the line $Timer = TimerInit() that's located before the While to this $Timer = 1800000.

Edited by BrewManNH

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Hi there,

AdlibRegister("doit", 1800000)

While 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

func doit()
EndFunc

* I missed the 5:00PM condition, but here's another way to start!

Cheers

Edited by November

Old Scriptology

Visual Ping 1.8 - Mass Ping Program with export to txt delimited.

Desktop 2 RGB and YMCK - Pick a color in the desktop and get the RGB and YMCK code.

Desktop 2 RGB - Pick a color in the desktop and get the RGB code.

ShootIT 1.0 - Screen Capture full and partial screen

[font="'Arial Black';"]Remember Remember The Fifth of November.[/font]

You'd need to do something like this:

; #include <Date.au3>

$Timer = TimerInit()
While Not @Hour >= 17 ; easier to code it this way
        $Timer = TimerInit()
    Endif
WEnd

You had no If statement in the loop so it wouldn't run even if you tried it, you just have Endif and Else statements, and they're in the wrong sequence.

If you want it to run the first time through the loop, then change the line $Timer = TimerInit() that's located before the While to this $Timer = 1800000.

Alright, compiled this script

#include <Date.au3>

$time = _NowTime()
$Timer = 1800000()
While Not _NowTime()="5:00PM"
        $Timer = TimerInit()
    Endif

I do need it to run the first time through. I'll give it a try and hope it works.

Thanks!

That brings up another question, if I compile it to move it to a computer that doesn't have AutoIt installed, are the included functions going to be in the .exe file?

Edited by Zamphire

You need to remove the () after the 1800000, you will get an error. Also, I rewrote the script example above to make it easier to use.

Edited by BrewManNH

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

That brings up another question, if I compile it to move it to a computer that doesn't have AutoIt installed, are the included functions going to be in the .exe file?

When compiled, it adds the includes to the compiled script.

Another way :huh2:

AdlibRegister("doit", 1800000)

While 1
    $time = @HOUR & @MIN
    if $time >= 1700 Then
        Exit
    Else
        Sleep(100)
    EndIf
WEnd

func doit()
EndFunc

Cheers

Old Scriptology

Visual Ping 1.8 - Mass Ping Program with export to txt delimited.

Desktop 2 RGB and YMCK - Pick a color in the desktop and get the RGB and YMCK code.

Desktop 2 RGB - Pick a color in the desktop and get the RGB code.

ShootIT 1.0 - Screen Capture full and partial screen

[font="'Arial Black';"]Remember Remember The Fifth of November.[/font]

Alright, tried to run it and it returns an error

If TimerDiff($Timer) >= 1800000

Error: "If" statements must have a "Then" keyword

Meathead move on my part, please add the keyword Then after the 1800000. sorry about that.

Meathead move on my part, please add the keyword Then after the 1800000. sorry about that.

Alright, added the then. Then it came with an error saying you need Wend after every while statement, so I added it. Ran the script, and it instantly goes away without doing anything.

#include <Date.au3>

$time = _NowTime()
$Timer = 1800000
While Not _NowTime()="5:00PM"
    If TimerDiff($Timer) >= 1800000 then ; Wait 30 minutes before running it again
        $Timer = TimerInit()
    Endif
wend

I have rewritten the script in the second post and now I've rewritten it again to make it less likely to not fail. Please use this code and let me know if it works for you. Do not use the code that you are currently using as I don't think the _NowTime returns the time as you want it to.

$Timer = 1800000
While @HOUR < 17 ; easier to code it this way
    If TimerDiff($Timer) >= 1800000 Then; Wait 30 minutes before running it again
        WinActivate("Warehose Menu Options")
        $Timer = TimerInit()
    EndIf
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

I actually was able to test the timing of this code. I wasn't able to do that to the previous code due to not being at my usual computer.

I have rewritten the script in the second post and now I've rewritten it again to make it less likely to not fail. Please use this code and let me know if it works for you. Do not use the code that you are currently using as I don't think the _NowTime returns the time as you want it to.

$Timer = 1800000
        $Timer = TimerInit()
    EndIf
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

I actually was able to test the timing of this code. I wasn't able to do that to the previous code due to not being at my usual computer.

Thanks! Compiled it and ran it, worked great the first time. I'll let you know in 30 minutes if it runs like it's supposed to!!

Just a question, this isn't necessary but it would be nice. Is it possible to make AutoIt send a text message to my phone?

I'm glad it's finally working correctly for you.

You can probably use one of the SMS text programs that have been posted here to send a text message to your phone, or even email because some of the providers allow email to be sent to a phone as an SMS text message.

I'm glad it's finally working correctly for you.

You can probably use one of the SMS text programs that have been posted here to send a text message to your phone, or even email because some of the providers allow email to be sent to a phone as an SMS text message.

Would it be possible to have it so that if you mouse over the exe file in the system tray it will display time remaining until next loop?

Would it be possible to have it so that if you mouse over the exe file in the system tray it will display time remaining until next loop?

TraySetToolTip should do the trick, just have it update the tooltip as it loops around the While loop.

Something like this:

$Timer = 1800000
$Timer2 = 61000
        $Timer = TimerInit()
    EndIf
    Sleep(100)
    If TimerDiff($Timer2) >= 61000 Then ; Only updates the time on the tool tip aprrox. once a minute
        Global $Minutes = 30 - Int(TimerDiff($Timer)/60000)
        TraySetToolTip($minutes  & " minutes left until next run")
        $Timer2 = TimerInit()
    EndIf
WEnd

This will display a message telling how many minutes remaining until it runs again if you hover over the tray icon. The icon will have to be showing for it to work correctly according to the help file.

Edited by BrewManNH

I have altered the script again for a different approach.

This version will continuously run as long as the computer is logged in (and of course on :huh2: ), but only between certain hours. This version will only run between 8 AM and 5 PM, so in case you leave the computer running all of the time, and don't feel like restarting the program every day you can use this to have it running whenever you need it without havig to remember to start it.

Global $Timer = TimerInit()
Global $Timer2 = TimerInit()
Global $Delay = 1, $Delay2 = 1
While 1
    While @HOUR >= 8 And @HOUR < 17 ; easier to code it this way
        If TimerDiff($Timer) >= $Delay Then; Wait 30 minutes before running it again
            $Timer = TimerInit()
            $Delay = 1800000
        EndIf
        Sleep(100)
        If TimerDiff($Timer2) >= $Delay2 Then ; Only updates the time on the tool tip aprrox. once a minute
            Global $Minutes = 30 - Int(TimerDiff($Timer) / 60000)
            TraySetToolTip($Minutes & " minutes left until next run")
            $Timer2 = TimerInit()
            $Delay2 = 61000
        EndIf
    WEnd
    TraySetToolTip("Script is sleeping until 8AM")
    $Delay = 1
    $Delay2 = 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

You may notice that i've changed the timing loops a bit. I wasn't too sure if it would always run the way it was written before, I miscoded the time delay checks, so I redid them.

I have a question, trying to follow what you did here so I can learn how it works

This line:

Global $Minutes = 30 - Int(TimerDiff($Timer)/60000)

Why did you use 30 - Int(TimerDiff($Timer)/60000), wouldn't 30 - ($Timer/60000) have done the same thing?

Oh, I see I see. You called the function TimerDiff to find the time difference since the last time it was ran, then divided by 60,000 to convert it into second. Gotcha.

Edited by Zamphire

If you don't use the Int function, you'll get all of the numbers after the decimal point, this way makes the display cleaner.